Jump to content
North Side Baseball
Posted

The biggest problem with Jackson's hit was the fact that when he made contact, Jackson himself was entirely out of bounds. Yes, Hurts had just barely put a toe out of bounds when Jackson went to make the hit, but by the time the hit was made they were both clearly out of bounds, and I would want that flag every time if it were Caleb getting hit. 

I wouldn't call it dirty by any means, but just over the line of what draws a flag. And it was worth the yards given up because Hurts definitely wasn't the same after

  • Like 1
  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
17 minutes ago, Bobson Dugnutt said:

Yeah this is kind of where I’m at, I’m not really surprised it was a flag. QBs get that protection. But if it was a late hit it was late by a couple toes. I wouldn’t really want Jackson approaching that any differently.

The refs usually give leeway. Normally late hits have to be blatant with both feet out of bounds. 

Old-Timey Member
Posted

1. Joe Thuney earned his whole contract last night.  Between the blitz pickup off the right edge from his LG spot to keep Keenum from getting absolutely obliterated and the neutral zone infraction he got called, some real savvy veteran play last night.

2. Barkley was tackling blitzers all night and never once got called for it.  There was a clear arm bar on one play and he tackled a guy by the head on the very next snap.

3. No way I run Keenum out there again next week.  A full game of film will allow the opponent to get some real scouting done and stop him from doing the things he was able to this week because, lets face it, as smart as he his and as well as he knows the offense, he just has some physical limitations that you can't ignore.

Overall, absolutely fantastic game and while I'm still not sold on the defense, they may not be the abject disaster we were expecting.

  • Like 4
Posted
1 minute ago, mul21 said:

1. Joe Thuney earned his whole contract last night.  Between the blitz pickup off the right edge from his LG spot to keep Keenum from getting absolutely obliterated and the neutral zone infraction he got called, some real savvy veteran play last night.

2. Barkley was tackling blitzers all night and never once got called for it.  There was a clear arm bar on one play and he tackled a guy by the head on the very next snap.

3. No way I run Keenum out there again next week.  A full game of film will allow the opponent to get some real scouting done and stop him from doing the things he was able to this week because, lets face it, as smart as he his and as well as he knows the offense, he just has some physical limitations that you can't ignore.

Overall, absolutely fantastic game and while I'm still not sold on the defense, they may not be the abject disaster we were expecting.

Add Jurgens to the list of Eagles' offenders, he was blatantly holding mostly Jarrett all night.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
2 hours ago, Banedon said:

Guys keenum isn't  gonna start next week.  He's gonna be hurting from this one, and there's no way he's gonna be able to make multiple starts in a row.  Just enjoy what last night was.  A damn miracle.  It's like Rizzo pitching.  Let Keenum enjoy his 0.00 ERA.

I honestly don't think it was a miracle.  I'm not saying Keenum is a starting QB in 2026 or anything like that but the dude is an experienced QB who has had success in the NFL.  He was brought on as an expensive 3rd QB because of his experience and ability to run an offense even with diminished skills.  Pair him with an offensive psycho who likely spent his idle time building an offensive gameplan for Keenum in the event he was never needed because why not, and you get a QB primed for some success.

I'm not saying he can necessarily do this for an extended period but I'm leaning towards preferring him vs the Jets, though as I've said here I'm not as big of a fan of Bagent as others are (think he's fine just not this starting QB waiting to happen)

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, mul21 said:

1. Joe Thuney earned his whole contract last night.  Between the blitz pickup off the right edge from his LG spot to keep Keenum from getting absolutely obliterated and the neutral zone infraction he got called, some real savvy veteran play last night.

2. Barkley was tackling blitzers all night and never once got called for it.  There was a clear arm bar on one play and he tackled a guy by the head on the very next snap.

3. No way I run Keenum out there again next week.  A full game of film will allow the opponent to get some real scouting done and stop him from doing the things he was able to this week because, lets face it, as smart as he his and as well as he knows the offense, he just has some physical limitations that you can't ignore.

Overall, absolutely fantastic game and while I'm still not sold on the defense, they may not be the abject disaster we were expecting.

Bagent has never done it during the regular season and he has the limitation of a noodle arm. I don’t know what upside he provides at this point other than he looked good in preseason. If Keenum has a clunker, sure go to Bagent. But for now, I’m riding with Case until Caleb is back.

Edited by Wilson A2000
Posted
3 hours ago, Banedon said:

Guys keenum isn't  gonna start next week.  He's gonna be hurting from this one, and there's no way he's gonna be able to make multiple starts in a row.

Why do you think he is going to be hurting so badly?  I don't recall him taking many hits and he isn't exactly an old man at 38.  It is extremely unlikely he will be able to replicate what he did last night, but I think he is physically capable of starting more games.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
8 minutes ago, Irrelevant Dude said:

Why do you think he is going to be hurting so badly?  I don't recall him taking many hits and he isn't exactly an old man at 38.  It is extremely unlikely he will be able to replicate what he did last night, but I think he is physically capable of starting more games.

He hasn't played a full NFL game in 3+ years, it's a short week, and while 38 in regular people years isn't an old man, it's ancient in NFL years.  Also, some of those throws across the field were terrifying and I think a week of film study ends in some of those getting picked off.

Old-Timey Member
Posted

Thieneman is a stud.  Just thinking back to that sequence where he forced Barkley out at the 1 yard line on 1st down, then stuffed him for a loss on 2nd down, and then intercepted Dalton on 3rd down.  Dude has brought immediate impact to the defense.

  • Like 4
Posted
2 minutes ago, UMFan83 said:

Thieneman is a stud.  Just thinking back to that sequence where he forced Barkley out at the 1 yard line on 1st down, then stuffed him for a loss on 2nd down, and then intercepted Dalton on 3rd down.  Dude has brought immediate impact to the defense.

Yeah, he's awesome and I really like Muhammad as well.  Need to see the Iowa C get some reps and Roush to get it together.  

Posted

I have no idea re: Keenum vs. Bagent honestly. I would tend towards the hot hand, but I also think you got some lightning in a bottle with Keenum that really may not keep going (especially because there were no less than 3 out routes that Keenum definitely didn't have the arm strength on and could have each been pick 6's). 

I trust in Ben to make the right call. But it's likely not a very easy call to make. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, mul21 said:

He hasn't played a full NFL game in 3+ years, it's a short week, and while 38 in regular people years isn't an old man, it's ancient in NFL years.  Also, some of those throws across the field were terrifying and I think a week of film study ends in some of those getting picked off.

as someone who is 38 years old (though obviously I have never been in NFL shape and am so far from it now) I can imagine there are a whole lot of aches and pains for Case this morning, and those will likely linger plenty

Posted
3 hours ago, Banedon said:

Guys keenum isn't  gonna start next week.  He's gonna be hurting from this one, and there's no way he's gonna be able to make multiple starts in a row.  Just enjoy what last night was.  A damn miracle.  It's like Rizzo pitching.  Let Keenum enjoy his 0.00 ERA.

That what im thinking too, dude 38 yo and hasn't played or been hit in 3 years, his body is going to be hurting all week...

Just appreciate and enjoy what he did, cause he definitely wont do that 2 weeks in a row 🤣

Posted
47 minutes ago, Irrelevant Dude said:

Why do you think he is going to be hurting so badly?  I don't recall him taking many hits and he isn't exactly an old man at 38.  It is extremely unlikely he will be able to replicate what he did last night, but I think he is physically capable of starting more games.

If you listened to his postgame interviews that was a man that felt he went out on top and will be paying the price physically this week. 
 

I think he thinks he’s not starting next week. 

Posted

I think its Bagent next week. The FO and Johnson clearly believe in him based on that contract they gave him. A full week of install and practice should have him ready to go. 

Posted
5 hours ago, BigbadB said:

I don't think this was called as a late hit. He launched at a QB that was giving himself up out of bounds. I don't want defenders taking free shots like that against Caleb, so I'm going to have to disagree that this shouldn't have been called.

horsefeathers that - he didn't give himself up. He was trying to get a 1st down.

  • Like 2
Posted
1 hour ago, mul21 said:

He hasn't played a full NFL game in 3+ years, it's a short week, and while 38 in regular people years isn't an old man, it's ancient in NFL years.  Also, some of those throws across the field were terrifying and I think a week of film study ends in some of those getting picked off.

Not against the JETS lol - 20 games since they have an interception 

Posted

The Jets have pissed me off. They play close with both the Packers and Lions and don't have the self-respect to win either of those games. I fully expect them to play us really tough (perhaps even beat us) because they're pissing me off and thats the type of thing they would do. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Rex Buckingham said:

as someone who is 38 years old (though obviously I have never been in NFL shape and am so far from it now) I can imagine there are a whole lot of aches and pains for Case this morning, and those will likely linger plenty

0 sacks taken

Old-Timey Member
Posted

The great thing about Ben and his staff is that I don't need to worry about the QB decision this week. I trust the right one will be made and we will get the maximum that we can get given our #1 is out. I don't know what I would do, but it doesn't matter. There's a guy in charge who knows what to do.

  • Like 2
Posted
1 hour ago, JBears79 said:

I think its Bagent next week. The FO and Johnson clearly believe in him based on that contract they gave him. A full week of install and practice should have him ready to go. 

They believe in him, but what Keenum did has to result in another start for him

Posted
52 minutes ago, UMFan83 said:

Apparently the Bears-Packers game has been moved from a 3:25 start to a noon start. 

Fuk, im gonna miss it now, I have somewhere to be between 12 and 2...

No Caleb and Packers suks is why they changed it 🙄🙄🙄

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The North Side Baseball Caretaker Fund
The North Side Baseball Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Cubs community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of North Side Baseball.

×
×
  • Create New...