Jump to content
North Side Baseball

How Do You Expect the Cubs 2026 Postseason to End?  

43 members have voted

  1. 1. Pick One!

    • Eliminated in Wild Card Round
      25
    • Eliminated in NLDS
      12
    • Eliminated in NLCS
      3
    • Eliminated in World Series
      0
    • World Series Champions
      3

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 09/30/2026 at 01:00 AM

  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

One team is white hot and at home, the other is playing like horsefeathers and away. I'd be fairly shocked if they escape the wildcard series, but it's baseball so who knows I guess.

Posted
1 hour ago, Outshined_One said:

The flip side to that argument is, "These teams did it without spending hundreds of millions of dollars, why can't big market teams do the same?"

I think Rays/Brewers would challenge the Rangers/DBacks for lowest watch WS. 

------------------

I think the Cubs season ends this week but I am holding out some hope the Cubs can find a way to get another shot at the Brewers for two reasons. 1. The "Big Blue L" flag photo those smug turds posted after they eliminated the Cubs last year. 2. How effing awesome would it be for the Cubs to eliminate the Brewers after MIL had the greatest regular season in franchise history?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

One team is white hot and at home, the other is playing like horsefeathers and away. I'd be fairly shocked if they escape the wildcard series, but it's baseball so who knows I guess.

How many times have we've seen this get flipped in the PS?  It's weird like that, well, it's not really, weird, it's because baseball is the most random of all sports.  Strange things will happen.

Posted
7 minutes ago, NorthsideAvenger said:

I think Rays/Brewers would challenge the Rangers/DBacks for lowest watch WS. 

------------------

I think the Cubs season ends this week but I am holding out some hope the Cubs can find a way to get another shot at the Brewers for two reasons. 1. The "Big Blue L" flag photo those smug turds posted after they eliminated the Cubs last year. 2. How effing awesome would it be for the Cubs to eliminate the Brewers after MIL had the greatest regular season in franchise history?

Still, don't get it, appears they're celebrating a loss.  I'm thinking the "Big Blue W" flag would have been a bigger dig.

Posted
2 minutes ago, gflore34 said:

Still, don't get it, appears they're celebrating a loss.  I'm thinking the "Big Blue W" flag would have been a bigger dig.

it did make it really sweet when they were curbstomped by LA

  • Haha 1
Posted
19 minutes ago, Geographyhater8888 said:

Losing wouldn’t be the worst thing. Who the horsefeathers wants to lose to Milwaukee again?

New poll idea:  Who do you dislike more:  Manny Machado or The Miz?

Old-Timey Member
Posted
3 minutes ago, Stratos said:

New poll idea:  Who do you dislike more:  Manny Machado or The Miz?

Miz, and it isn’t even a debate for me. 

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

I like that our offense will get to play in 70+ degree weather. Their bullpen is terrifying but as we saw last year, there is a limit to how much the main guys can be used in 3 consecutive games, if there is a game 3. Then there's our pitching... I'm hoping for batted ball luck

Mt vote is eliminated in NLDS. 

Edited by Illiterate Scholar
  • Like 1
Posted
24 minutes ago, Tangled Up in Plaid said:

yep, I am Brewers'd out

Yeah, I don't think the Brewers offense can work well in the postseason and they are destined to get bounced again, but our pitching is so bad that I can't see it being the Cubs who do it.

Knowing that their fans have such a complex about the Cubs that they almost don't care if they are eliminated so long as they beat us almost makes me not want to even see them have the opportunity
 

almost

Posted

If the choice is losing the WC or losing to the Brewers I'll have to go with the first.  Honestly, if the Padres face the Brewers they've a decent chance to beat them.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, gflore34 said:

If the choice is losing the WC or losing to the Brewers I'll have to go with the first.  Honestly, if the Padres face the Brewers they've a decent chance to beat them.

I think they’re legitimate for once. The Dodgers are our best hope, unless they meet the Whitesox in the World Series where I’ll be rooting for another viral pandemic just so the season and World Series is cancelled indefinitely.

Edited by Geographyhater8888
  • Like 1
Posted
6 minutes ago, Geographyhater8888 said:

I think they’re legitimate for once. The Dodgers are our best hope, unless they meet the Whitesox in the World Series where I’ll be rooting for another viral pandemic just so the season and World Series is cancelled indefinitely.

I think any team with a couple really good starters and/or a lockdown bullpen has a good shot at taking the Brewers out. It's been a point of discussion for a while and I think foolish bailey did a good video about it recently, but the Brewers offense is actually ranks worse against really good pitching than most other teams. 

Unless they suddenly start thumping, they'll remain vulnerable in series against teams with strong pitching.

I think they have a better shot than last year with the emergence of Misiorowski and Henderson, but against teams than can match up almost 1 to 1 with their pitching (like LA, but unlike the Cubs), they're at a disadvantage, imo.

Of course it's October, so anything and everything is on the table, so I'd rather the Cubs get a shot at them than not, at the end of the day.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
4 minutes ago, Thusly Boned said:

I think any team with a couple really good starters and/or a lockdown bullpen has a good shot at taking the Brewers out. It's been a point of discussion for a while and I think foolish bailey did a good video about it recently, but the Brewers offense is actually ranks worse against really good pitching than most other teams. 

Unless they suddenly start thumping, they'll remain vulnerable in series against teams with strong pitching.

I think they have a better shot than last year with the emergence of Misiorowski and Henderson, but against teams than can match up almost 1 to 1 with their pitching (like LA, but unlike the Cubs), they're at a disadvantage, imo.

Of course it's October, so anything and everything is on the table, so I'd rather the Cubs get a shot at them than not, at the end of the day.

Me too. I don’t care what happened in the regular season or how they have been playing in September. If the Cubs are playing well they can beat anyone. Lately it looks like Counsell is finding some pen arms that may pitch well. All they need is the pen to perform well and they can win. Most likely that won’t happen for 4 series in a row. Which is why I said I don’t think they win the WS. Whoever said the expect the Cubs post season to end in a loss is saying exactly what I think as well. Just don’t know when that will be. Could be the 2nd game they play or the 22nd. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Thusly Boned said:

I think any team with a couple really good starters and/or a lockdown bullpen has a good shot at taking the Brewers out. It's been a point of discussion for a while and I think foolish bailey did a good video about it recently, but the Brewers offense is actually ranks worse against really good pitching than most other teams. 

Unless they suddenly start thumping, they'll remain vulnerable in series against teams with strong pitching.

I think they have a better shot than last year with the emergence of Misiorowski and Henderson, but against teams than can match up almost 1 to 1 with their pitching (like LA, but unlike the Cubs), they're at a disadvantage, imo.

Of course it's October, so anything and everything is on the table, so I'd rather the Cubs get a shot at them than not, at the end of the day.

There isn't a single hitter in the Brewers line up I wouldn't pitch to, they don't have that dawg.  It's all about stringing hits together and out executing their opponents.  Which is a fine approach until your opponents can keep with you and surpass you because they have that dawg in their line ups.

Edited by gflore34
Posted
Just now, gflore34 said:

There isn't a single hitter in the Brewers line up I wouldn't pitch to, they don't have that dawg.  It's all about stringing hits together and out executing their opponents.  Which is a fine approach until your opponents can keep with you and surpass you because they have the dawg in their line ups.

Exactly. Their offense depends on stringing stuff together and maintaining pressure, and in the postseason where pitching is optimized, that is largely taken away from everyone.

Which what makes the Cubs situation so frustrating: the ability to explode at almost any point in the lineup, but without the pitching to suppress any kind of offense, really.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tangled Up in Plaid said:

Boyd starting g1

Hope he'll pitch well.  I think Boyd should be better than Gausman.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
14 minutes ago, Stratos said:
42 minutes ago, Tangled Up in Plaid said:

Boyd starting g1

Interesting.

It's either Boyd or Gausman, unless you want to start somebody with a few days rest.  Gausman has the left shoulder pain, though I don't know how serious it is.  I assumed Boyd was starting.  But, I have no idea about the game 2 and 3.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
18 minutes ago, mk49 said:

It's either Boyd or Gausman, unless you want to start somebody with a few days rest.  Gausman has the left shoulder pain, though I don't know how serious it is.  I assumed Boyd was starting.  But, I have no idea about the game 2 and 3.

I forgot about that left shoulder.  Maybe it's affecting him more than I assumed.  Makes a lot of sense to save him for Gm 2 or 3.

They could really start any of their 5 SP this series, none is clearly superior or terrible.  I wonder if they treat Holmes more like a long reliever, maybe save him for a few innings in Game 3.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
5 minutes ago, Stratos said:

I forgot about that left shoulder.  Maybe it's affecting him more than I assumed.  Makes a lot of sense to save him for Gm 2 or 3.

They could really start any of their 5 SP this series, none is clearly superior or terrible.  I wonder if they treat Holmes more like a long reliever, maybe save him for a few innings in Game 3.

Yeah, I agree that Holmes could pitch out of the pen.  Personally, I'd like to see Peterson starts Game 2, but I doubt it.  I guess it depends on the game 1.  Gausman's HR/9 as a cub is higher than Shota's, and that scares me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The North Side Baseball Caretaker Fund
The North Side Baseball Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Cubs community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of North Side Baseball.

×
×
  • Create New...