Jump to content
North Side Baseball

Stratos

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    4,429
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by Stratos

  1. ??? Dansby's arm strength is terrible but he makes it work.
  2. Won't they have the lockout to find any new coaches, if it takes that long?
  3. Does he deserve it though? I wouldn't really care if he got canned or not,
  4. The Cubs could use a few more good pre-arb players so we can spend more on pitching Would be nice to fill our corner OF with those types. Probably Shaw/ Ramirez/Alcantara next year in one position. Maybe by sometime next year our other minor league OF can step up. If I were Jed i'd explore a trade for a young MLB-ready corner OF with an arm that could play in RF. Someone better than Alcantara. If they resign Happ I can't see Shaw's arm playing well in RF, he's more of a LF. Shaw's range would play in RF though and could make up for that a bit. I'm willing to trade Shaw with Ramirez on the team.
  5. Skubal might sign after the lockout anyways given the money involved.
  6. They've been really good all year. I can respect what they do but don't want them going far because the more money they earn these playoffs will just make things harder for the Cubs to compete. I'm glad Ricketts didn't make money this pkayoffs. It's not like he was going to spend it on the team anyways.
  7. Wild series so far.
  8. I'm fine moving on from both him and Shota.
  9. Make fans should call stadiums by their team name so they don't have to remember lol. Like Astros Park.
  10. Don't forget they need someone to DH too. Hoyer said he was going to sit down with Happ i believe later this month. I could see them working something out before he has to officially file for free agency. Would Happ do something like 2/34, maybe a team option for a 3rd year? If they brought back Happ, Taylor, and Conforto I'd be fine with that. It's possible Alcantara could take Taylor's role as platoon OF vs LHP and CF backup. I can't see Alcantara's bat playing well vs RHP with that K% in Iowa. Edit: Joc Pederson got 2/37 two years ago at age 32.
  11. Well he had an average FIP for an SP this season, but he'll tend to outperform his FIP because he's elite at holding runners. So IMO he might be more of a #3, but age isn't on his side, so could regress to a #4 next season. Question is if he's better or worse, or about the same, as Shota was going into last offseason?
  12. Interested to see if they offer a QO to Boyd. If they do I feel bad for him, it will screw him in FA if he declines.
  13. One thing we do know is that Hoyer often likes to buy low on pitchers. Not every pitcher, but especially relievers. I could see them acquiring another dark horse SP like Garrett along with FA signings and make a trade along the Cabrera line. Going to be really hard to fill all their rotation needs in FA. Harder to buy low on position guys since you can't really change position player tools, unlike pitch grips etc.
  14. I don't recall Hoyer mentioning anything about increasing strikeouts in his presser. One thing he did say was they need to reduce the # of HR given up, and that balls not in play (like HR) don't take advantage of their excellent defense. Hoyer essentially said that since the season just ended they're still in the process of re-evaluating everything organization-wide about pitching, which i assume also includes their approach to who they target in acquisitions.
  15. Fangraphs also says WAR isn't an exact number because things like defensive stats aren't perfect and all-encompassing, so WAR is best used to put players in certain ranges of value rather than saying player A with 4.5 WAR is unquestionablely better than player B with 4.0 WAR. fWAR for pitchers also isn't perfect and all-encompassing. It doesn't take into account i.e. ability to hold runners, quality of contact etc.
  16. Problem is we assume this every year for the Brewers but it just doesn't happen. We thought losing Peralta, Burnes, and Adames would hurt them but then guys like Miz and Turang take their place.
  17. I'm not sure anyone including Jed has any idea how the Brewers get overachievement on virtually every single player and signing. Like how is their success rate on everything 99%? It's impossible to match something that defies the laws of probabilities.
  18. I think Busch is only expendable if we have a solid replacement, which we don't. Selling low on him is also a bad idea IMO.
  19. Jed mentioned that he didn't see a big issue with their approach to bullpen construction, and mentioned the success they had in their pen signings last year and that they failed in their pen acquisitions this past offseason. In another offseason someone like Morejon might be a realistic option but IMO probably a big longshot this year with all the holes in the rotation and OF they need to fill. But stranger things have happened.
  20. I'd like them both back.
  21. I still like Cabrera's potential. Maybe you get 80-100 innings from him next year (of unknown quality). Brown maybe you get another 2 months of starts. Steele and Horton i would start with the assumption they aren't useful. The Cubs may need to acquire another 5-6 SP this winter, which is a difficult ask for Hoyer.
  22. Busch is good and cheap, I don't know how trading him would make us better without having a good 1B prospect to replace him.
  23. I'm not sure how the Cubs feel about Busch vs LHP. He had a 117 wRC+ vs LHP, but did it affect him vs RHP? I'd like to give Busch another shot at fulltime duty, so I'm not sure id grab a pure 1b to platoon, but at least find someone on the bench who can play 1B., like a bench OF we sign? I'm down for King and Morejon. Arozerana is an option. Lowe doesn't seem to fit.
  24. I think bottom line is the 3 best arms in the org were on the IL, plus some key bullpen signings were hurt too, among other injuries. They got 3 good arms at the deadline but when your rotation and pen is gutted from injury it's difficult to recover.. In 2016 they got Chapman to improve the team, but this deadline they were trying to plug holes from injury. The team trended poorly going into the playoffs. Their best hitter was hurt etc. horsefeathers happens. If you want to win a ring things need to go right and we just had a lot of bad luck/ timing. Jed decided to put the money into the offense. He spent big on Bregman instead of an ace pitcher like Cease and given how pitchers get injured these days I think he made the right call. Steele, Horton, Brown getting hurt isn't their fault. Horton was always an arm injury waiting to happen but considering the other picks after him in that draft they took the risky high upside over someone with no standout tools like Brooks Lee.
×
×
  • Create New...