Jump to content
North Side Baseball

mk49

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    2,509
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by mk49

  1. Excluding the 1st half of 2025, Boyd wasn't that good (ERA, xERA, FIP and xFIP all over 4.10). He's definitely not worth $23m, IMO. I'm hoping they will sign Peterson for 3yr/$39m. More than likely, he'll pitch better than Boyd. Peralta might take a shorter deal, because he basically sucked this year, except for Sep and the playoffs (so far). Who knows what we'll get? We might be surprised, disappointed or both.😄 Heck, if Shota accepts 2yr/$30m (highly unlikely), I'd take it.
  2. A team without a rotation shouldn't be contending.😁 I've read a few mentioned trading for Kwan. Yes, Nico has the NTC.
  3. Same here. Taira should fit well. Is he going to get a deal like $16~18m AAV for 3~4 years?
  4. No, because Boyd will probably accept the QO. And, I wouldn't like that.
  5. My guess is that Boyd will be worth 1yr/$15m (the same as the mutual option) or 2yr/$26m. So, no QO.
  6. Comparable LHP's like Shota, Steele and Garrett? Boyd is slightly faster than those guys.😄
  7. I agree with you, and nobody is saying the pen is good. But, we have a bigger thing (signing SP's) to deal with before start looking for Morejon or whoever.
  8. Just compare our pen to the SP's, I feel a lot better about the pen.
  9. Yeah, I want to see them beating the Sox, the Dodgers or the Brewers.😄
  10. They do for coaches (or whatever the changes that need to be done), but he was saying finding them, before signing pitchers. They can't wait that long. I would think many good pitchers would be gone by Dec 2nd.
  11. (Not arguing with Bertz here) Dumping Hottovy or not, more than a few things need to be changed. It's not just the HR issue. I'm hoping they can figure things out with or without Hottovy. That'll take time, though. Personally, I like Hottovy. Hottovy has nothing to do with not having good enough pitchers in Iowa. The pitching problem is bigger than just the pitching coach. Scouting, drafting, free agent signing, developing, unable to keep them healthy (or picking too many injury prone), not spending big money for real TOR guy or good RP.......
  12. Yeah, Freddy has been pitching well for over a month now. His price must be going up.
  13. They won't have much time, so do both fixing coaching staff and singing pitchers. I'm sure they're working on them now.
  14. Wow. horsefeathers Brewers.
  15. Why 5+ years? I don't know all the free agents SP's, but off the top of my head, only Skubal is worth a 5+ yrs contract. Maybe, Peralta, too. We might need to trade for a good SP.
  16. Same here, as I mentioned earlier. I don't want Boyd. I don't mind getting Shota back as #4 or #5 (meaning not very expensive). Re-singing Peterson should be high priority, because he's very decent, he shouldn't cost a lot, and he's younger than Boyd and Shota. I was just looking at the IP by guys like Shota, Boyd, Rea and Jamo in the last 2 years. Those four guys pitched about 1,127 innings in 2 years (averaging 563 innings/season). We're basically going to lose them all. Maybe, the Cubs will pickup the club option for Rea, but that doesn't sound like a good idea. Regardless, that's a lot of innings to fill.
  17. 150 innings? I'm not expecting much from Steele, Horton and Wiggins, but maybe and hopefully, Ben will pitch fine. OTOH, Shota pitched almost 500 innings in 3 years. Losing him could be big.
  18. The problem is that we can't assume the pitching will get better. If they win 85-88 next year, I think I'd feel happy, but it depends on what they do in the offseason. It'll be interesting.
  19. It was a very good game, though.
  20. I do, and I agree that's not a good idea. But, to get a few good SP's, that might be something they need to do. I wouldn't make QO's to Happ and Boyd. They could work something with those two, if they want to keep them, though I like to keep Peterson, because he's very decent and cheaper than a guy like Holmes. If we can keep Holmes with a team friendly contract, that'd be nice, but I wouldn't overpay him for sure. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how they can build a good rotation, which seems to be very hard to do, unless they get lucky (like Brown, Steele and Cabrera stay healthy and pitch well).
  21. An interesting thing was that Gausman and Shota had the highest K% and HR/9 in our rotation. They didn't walk many. Peterson started getting a lot of K's towards the end of the season, probably about 10 K/9 in the last 2 months. He didn't give up many HR's, but he walked more than Gausman and Shota did (but, less than Holmes). Both Boyd and Holmes didn't get many strikeouts. Holmes walked a lot, especially in Sep. So, which type do you prefer? Sure, I want a pitcher who has high K%, high GB%, low HR% and low BB%, but that's hard to come by and costs a lot. I think Peterson type is the best bet for the Cubs. Yesterday, I looked for somebody like him (decent K% and BB%, high GB% and not too many HR's given up). I found a few, but I don't think those guys will be traded. They're pretty young with a few or more years under the team control.
  22. What's the chance of getting healthy version of Wiggins, and he actually pitches well? I agree Miller and Maton would have potential. I think Hollowell and Riley Martin would be better than Wiggins. But, what do I know? If we can sign Morejon, that'd be awesome, but it wouldn't be easy. Many teams want him.
  23. I agree with you. The bullpen looks better than the last off season, when all we had left was basically Palencia. I'm also hoping Martin and Hollowell will be good again next year. Need to spend more for SP's. If we could re-sign Peterson and Holmes, get somebody like Peralta. I don't think the Angels will trade Detmers. He was the top 5 SP in the 2nd half, and the new owner has money. He might be extended. I've heard the Angels would try to sign Seiya, too. Also, they're after Sato. I looked at Sato's stats. He's nowhere near Seiya's NPB stats. Also, heard he's not a good defender. Seiya "was" supposed to be pretty good defensively, when he came over. Took 5 years, but he was good this year.
  24. I feel the same for Steele Horton might be good again (maybe, not as good) in 2028. Brown might be fine for a season, then maybe, his neck will start hurting again. I'm not expecting much from Wiggins at this point. I'll be happy to be wrong, too.
  25. Nico was the only one who didn't suck. I guess Seiya was OK. Nico was actually awesome 2 years in a row. The best offense in 2026 scored only 1 run in the playoffs.
×
×
  • Create New...