Jump to content
North Side Baseball
Old-Timey Member
Posted
20 minutes ago, gflore34 said:

I've seen mentions of Wiggins as an option for 2028, why can't he be a possible bullpen option for 2027?  Provided, of course, he's healthy.  Wiggins I view through the same lens as Horton.  Guys who can't stay healthy and may never be serious contributors.  Nevertheless, should Wiggins' health prevail, why not a bullpen option?

Wiggins had a mostly lost year but he's a pitcher at AAA who will be on the 40 man next year.  You're never more than a couple weeks of good performance away from being an MLB option at that point.

I would expect, barring more injury, that he spends a majority of next year in the big league pen.

  • Like 2
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Jed obviously talked a lot about pitching in his year-end PC, including the amount of homers given up. The way he talked about Holmes made it seem like whatever happened the last few weeks didn't totally sour the relationship? Wouldn't shock me if both he and Peterson get done before the lockout.

 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Illiterate Scholar said:

Jed obviously talked a lot about pitching in his year-end PC, including the amount of homers given up. The way he talked about Holmes made it seem like whatever happened the last few weeks didn't totally sour the relationship? Wouldn't shock me if both he and Peterson get done before the lockout.

 

Here is the link foe anyone who wants to watch 

 

  • Love 1
Posted

Jed said a lot of things, which honestly, I don't put any stock in, it's the actions he, the organization, takes which will speak to their direction. 

North Side Contributor
Posted
8 minutes ago, gflore34 said:

Jed said a lot of things, which honestly, I don't put any stock in, it's the actions he, the organization, takes which will speak to their direction. 

I'd recommend listening. Go back to last year at this time. The talk was "strikeouts" and to the Cubs' credit they added Cabrera (who struck out 25.8% of hitters the year before and had big stuff) and Phil Maton who was top of the chart whiff% and chase% the year before. The Cubs don't leak information a lot but they generally do what they say they will do. 

Jed was also pretty transparent about the leadup to acquiring Tucker and then how things went down as well.

We can certainly point to the fact that neither Maton nor Cabrera worked out in 2026. Choose who you want to blame there; plenty to pass around. But I think when Jed speaks, he's generally tells you what he's going to do. He said today that they need to do better pitching, mentioned, again, that they were too reliant on the defense and that it likely wouldn't be the bullpen they put the money into. We'll see how much money, though. 

The debate is less "will they do what Jed said" but more "how far will they go to accomplish it?"

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jason Ross said:

I'd recommend listening. Go back to last year at this time. The talk was "strikeouts" and to the Cubs' credit they added Cabrera (who struck out 25.8% of hitters the year before and had big stuff) and Phil Maton who was top of the chart whiff% and chase% the year before. The Cubs don't leak information a lot but they generally do what they say they will do. 

Jed was also pretty transparent about the leadup to acquiring Tucker and then how things went down as well.

We can certainly point to the fact that neither Maton nor Cabrera worked out in 2026. Choose who you want to blame there; plenty to pass around. But I think when Jed speaks, he's generally tells you what he's going to do. He said today that they need to do better pitching, mentioned, again, that they were too reliant on the defense and that it likely wouldn't be the bullpen they put the money into. 

It's got to be SP and bullpen, it's the biggest difference between the Cubs and the Brewers.  Postion-wise, defense, they've got nothing on the Cubs, it's all about the pitching, the whole staff. 

He did mention counting on some guys who got hurt.  I hope, after this season, he learned to never count on guys with extensive injury histories.  Steele, Horton, Wiggins, Brown you've got start with the assumption you'll get nothing from them.  Basically as if they don't exist, most especially Steele and Horton.  I don't believe either will ever throw another meaningful pitch for the Cubs.

Edited by gflore34
Old-Timey Member
Posted
15 minutes ago, gflore34 said:

It's got to be SP and bullpen, it's the biggest difference between the Cubs and the Brewers.  Postion-wise, defense, they've got nothing on the Cubs, it's all about the pitching, the whole staff. 

He did mention counting on some guys who got hurt.  I hope, after this season, he learned to never count on guys with extensive injury histories.  Steele, Horton, Wiggins, Brown you've got start with the assumption you'll get nothing from them.  Basically as if they don't exist, most especially Steele and Horton.  I don't believe either will ever throw another meaningful pitch for the Cubs.

I think your assessment of Horton and Steele is a little harsh. But that might be me drinking too much cubby kool aid. 😅 I really hope you are wrong about them and especially wrong about Wiggins and Brown. Seems like you are in a dark place. Of course, I do understand why. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Rcal10 said:

I think your assessment of Horton and Steele is a little harsh. But that might be me drinking too much cubby kool aid. 😅 I really hope you are wrong about them and especially wrong about Wiggins and Brown. Seems like you are in a dark place. Of course, I do understand why. 

I really hope I'm wrong as well.  Time will tell and I'll be glad to eat a big helping of crow.😅

Edited by gflore34
Old-Timey Member
Posted
42 minutes ago, Jason Ross said:

I'd recommend listening. Go back to last year at this time. The talk was "strikeouts" and to the Cubs' credit they added Cabrera (who struck out 25.8% of hitters the year before and had big stuff) and Phil Maton who was top of the chart whiff% and chase% the year before. The Cubs don't leak information a lot but they generally do what they say they will do. 

Jed was also pretty transparent about the leadup to acquiring Tucker and then how things went down as well.

We can certainly point to the fact that neither Maton nor Cabrera worked out in 2026. Choose who you want to blame there; plenty to pass around. But I think when Jed speaks, he's generally tells you what he's going to do. He said today that they need to do better pitching, mentioned, again, that they were too reliant on the defense and that it likely wouldn't be the bullpen they put the money into. We'll see how much money, though. 

The debate is less "will they do what Jed said" but more "how far will they go to accomplish it?"

I agree the Cubs may be looking for more strikeouts from the rotation. But that doesn’t mean Skubal. Could be someone like Flaherty or Bubic. Maybe both. Maybe even Peralta, who prior to last year did strike guys out. It also could mean looking into a Detmers trade again. All of those guys would add strikeouts. If Brown is healthy and Cabrera shows something this year they would have a rotation with several guys who strike out a fair share. 

Old-Timey Member
Posted
1 hour ago, gflore34 said:

Steele, Horton, Wiggins, Brown you've got start with the assumption you'll get nothing from them.  Basically as if they don't exist, most especially Steele and Horton.  I don't believe either will ever throw another meaningful pitch for the Cubs.

I feel the same for Steele  Horton might be good again (maybe, not as good) in 2028.  Brown might be fine for a season, then maybe, his neck will start hurting again.  I'm not expecting much from Wiggins at this point.  I'll be happy to be wrong, too.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
3 hours ago, Illiterate Scholar said:

Jed obviously talked a lot about pitching in his year-end PC, including the amount of homers given up. The way he talked about Holmes made it seem like whatever happened the last few weeks didn't totally sour the relationship? Wouldn't shock me if both he and Peterson get done before the lockout

I'd like them both back. 

Old-Timey Member
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Bertz said:

- I wouldn't majorly invest in the bullpen. Palencia, Webb, and Zeferjahn is a good top 3. Rolison is a very good lefty specialist, and between guys returning from injury, guys on the outside looking in for the rotation, and guys at Iowa there's depth. If the team has more money than I suspect sure add another setup man, but broadly just stick to the normal NRIs and waiver claims

I agree with you.  The bullpen looks better than the last off season, when all we had left was basically Palencia.  I'm also hoping Martin and Hollowell will be good again next year.

Need to spend more for SP's.  If we could re-sign Peterson and Holmes, get somebody like Peralta.  I don't think the Angels will trade Detmers.  He was the top 5 SP in the 2nd half, and the new owner has money.  He might be extended.  I've heard the Angels would try to sign Seiya, too.  Also, they're after Sato.

I looked at Sato's stats.  He's nowhere near Seiya's NPB stats.  Also, heard he's not a good defender.  Seiya "was" supposed to be pretty good defensively, when he came over.  Took 5 years, but he was good this year.

Edited by mk49
North Side Contributor
Posted
3 hours ago, Rcal10 said:

I agree the Cubs may be looking for more strikeouts from the rotation. But that doesn’t mean Skubal. Could be someone like Flaherty or Bubic. Maybe both. Maybe even Peralta, who prior to last year did strike guys out. It also could mean looking into a Detmers trade again. All of those guys would add strikeouts. If Brown is healthy and Cabrera shows something this year they would have a rotation with several guys who strike out a fair share. 

I also didn't imply Skubal.

Old-Timey Member
Posted

Jed mentioned that he didn't see a big issue with their approach to bullpen construction, and mentioned the success they had in their pen signings last year and that they failed in their pen acquisitions this past offseason.

In another offseason someone like Morejon might be a realistic option but IMO probably a big longshot this year with all the holes in the rotation and OF they need to fill.  But stranger things have happened.  

Posted

If we could get the healthy versions of Miller, Wiggins, and Maton that would do a lot for the bullpen without having to spend anything. Add them to Palencia, Zeferjahn, and Rolison and you've got a really good starting point. Sign Morejon and we could really be cooking.

Old-Timey Member
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Tangled Up in Plaid said:

If we could get the healthy versions of Miller, Wiggins, and Maton that would do a lot for the bullpen without having to spend anything. Add them to Palencia, Zeferjahn, and Rolison and you've got a really good starting point. Sign Morejon and we could really be cooking.

What's the chance of getting healthy version of Wiggins, and he actually pitches well?  I agree Miller and Maton would have potential.  I think Hollowell and Riley Martin would be better than Wiggins.  But, what do I know?

If we can sign Morejon, that'd be awesome, but it wouldn't be easy.  Many teams want him.

Edited by mk49

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The North Side Baseball Caretaker Fund
The North Side Baseball Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Cubs community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of North Side Baseball.

×
×
  • Create New...