Jump to content
North Side Baseball
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
8 minutes ago, squally1313 said:

being told you have less potential utility than gabriel arias seems pretty cruel even for a washed up 38 year old reliever

This is where I thought Ayers would have figured in, if he was the call up in September. Good to have a 3rd catcher if you need him. I always figured 14 bats anyway. Was t so much Arias over Theilbar as it was 14th bat over 13th arm. If not Arias, who? I think with Bregman probably being DH, they want an extra infielder. If Bergman was completely healthy and playing 3rd, I could have seen, maybe, Alcantara. 

Posted
45 minutes ago, squally1313 said:

Thinking about it like that, and considering how the Padres are relatively split neutral (98 wRC v LHP, 104 wRC v RHP) and, per FG, have three positions in a platoon (Harris, Sheets, Salas against RHP, Campusano, Hayes, Taylor against LHP)....what's stopping the Cubs from trying to get 3-4 innings out of two of those six guys, one LHP and one RHP every game, then then finishing up with Palencia/Zef/Rolison against LHHs?

Yeah I think this is the approach.  Not quite piggyback but sort of piggyback?  And hell if the offense gives us a decent lead maybe just try and get 8 or 9 innings out of two guys.

It's a shame there wasn't enough runway to get Cabrera right.  He was, even in a somewhat challening first half, generally tough on righties and the first time or two through the order.  

Posted

Where did Arias even come from? I swear he just showed up in the dugout one day with his long blonde hair. I don't even know what position he plays and have never seen him take an at bat. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, ILMindState said:

Where did Arias even come from? I swear he just showed up in the dugout one day with his long blonde hair. I don't even know what position he plays and have never seen him take an at bat. 

He has over 400 AB with Cleveland last year. Mainly played SS. I believe he was a waiver claim. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, ILMindState said:

Where did Arias even come from? I swear he just showed up in the dugout one day with his long blonde hair. I don't even know what position he plays and have never seen him take an at bat. 

Waiver claim right after Swanson got hurt.  Hoerner's our backup SS and if god forbid Hoerner got hurt after Swanson we'd have been horsefeathered.

Him being on the roster now is a sign Bregman can't play the field yet.  They need a reserve infielder in case they do pinch hit shenanigans with Shaw.

  • Like 1
Posted
Just now, Rcal10 said:

He has over 400 AB with Cleveland last year. Mainly played SS. I believe he was a waiver claim. 

Ohhh I remember that waiver claim now, thanks. 

Posted
4 hours ago, squally1313 said:

the cubs walking out of petco tomorrow night to get on their flight to milwaukee

mad men cheers GIF by Clio Awards

Is that because there are no direct flights from San Diego to Chicago so they have to reroute though Milwaukee?

Couldn’t help myself.

Posted
42 minutes ago, ILMindState said:

Where did Arias even come from? I swear he just showed up in the dugout one day with his long blonde hair. I don't even know what position he plays and have never seen him take an at bat. 

It's a glitch in the matrix, don't let anyone tell you they remember when the Cubs claimed him and put him on the roster.

Posted
41 minutes ago, Bertz said:

Waiver claim right after Swanson got hurt.  Hoerner's our backup SS and if god forbid Hoerner got hurt after Swanson we'd have been horsefeathered.

Him being on the roster now is a sign Bregman can't play the field yet.  They need a reserve infielder in case they do pinch hit shenanigans with Shaw.

Yep, Arias on the roster sure points to Bregman not playing the field. So Conforto’s bat isn’t in the line up. He has not hit King well in his career, anyway. So maybe Ramirez is the better bat anyway.

Posted

Listened to a podcast by three Padres fans.  According to one of them, it's harder to hit HR's under the current weather condition.  Hopefully, we'll hit some, and won't give up one.😁

Posted
24 minutes ago, Tangled Up in Plaid said:

Yep, gotta have Arias so you can PH Conforto for Ramirez and Shaw. Maybe even for Swanson.

I doubt Swanson comes out of the game. 

Posted
1 hour ago, mk49 said:

Listened to a podcast by three Padres fans.  According to one of them, it's harder to hit HR's under the current weather condition.  Hopefully, we'll hit some, and won't give up one.😁

Interestingly enough I was reading that the marine layer that normally suppresses fly balls is virtually non-existent tonight.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The North Side Baseball Caretaker Fund
The North Side Baseball Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Cubs community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of North Side Baseball.

×
×
  • Create New...