North Side Baseball

Kevin Gregg is a sham closer

inari

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's blown the job. One or two shaky outings, maybe you can overlook. But every outing from the beginning of the season, no way (even this early). Mr. Marmol, your table is ready.

I can't believe that Lou would make a switch this early.

I can pretty much promise that in the long run, the Brewers bullpen will blow a lot more games than ours.

Is anyone saying otherwise?

And come to think of it, how long did Soriano last in the two hole last year before Lou made the switch? Three games? Maybe Gregg won't have much longer.

I say give him one or two more chances to see if its beginning season jitters or what not. Another outing like this or two where he's not horrendous but still shakey then make the switch to Marmol, Smardz or someone else who seems capable.

If they're blown in the 7th inning, there's still time to come back with the Cubs' offense. If they're blown in the 9th (at least on the road), game over.

So you think the Cubs offense scores runs according to the score and situation? Because that's the only way blowing a lead in the 7th is different from blowing it in the 9th- if you think the offense becomes better when they're trailing.

In reality, you get at-bats in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings regardless of score. And ultimately, 2 runs scoring in the 9th inning count exactly the same as 2 runs scored in the 7th inning.

If they're blown in the 7th inning, there's still time to come back with the Cubs' offense. If they're blown in the 9th (at least on the road), game over.

So you think the Cubs offense scores runs according to the score and situation? Because that's the only way blowing a lead in the 7th is different from blowing it in the 9th- if you think the offense becomes better when they're trailing.

In reality, you get at-bats in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings regardless of score. And ultimately, 2 runs scoring in the 9th inning count exactly the same as 2 runs scored in the 7th inning.

For the most part I agree but not completely. Players have a different mind set when down from when up. Thats why some players are considered clutch while others fail when the pressure is on. If Gregg gives up runs in the 7th to put us down rather than in 9th the players will take a different approach in their at-bats not to mention there are situations you can get in where a manager will manage differently. If we are down one run he will do what ever he can, sacrificing, bunting and the such, to get one run in. If we are up a run he might let us swing away trying to pull away.

Guests
He's blown the job. One or two shaky outings, maybe you can overlook. But every outing from the beginning of the season, no way (even this early). Mr. Marmol, your table is ready.

what's the point? so the game can be blown in the 7th inning instead of the 9th?

I'd almost rather leave Gregg in the closers spot just so he can come in with nobody on base. If you put him into middle relief, he's going to be brought in with runners on base and I really don't fell comfortable about that at all.

Of course, I'd prefer if Guzman, Cotts, Heilman and Patton all pitched well so one of them can move into the closer's role and Gregg could be one of the last two arms out of the pen.

If Gregg's in the setup role, then not many games are going to get to Marmol because the lead will be gone by then.

Marmol is far too valuable to close. The only way I'd be ok with him moving to closer is if Guzman steps up to be Marmol Jr. and we don't really lose anything there. Otherwise, I'd rather just about anyone else in the pen be the closer.

Kevin Gregg is a sham closer. He's one of these guys like Danys Baez who can look like an okay closer for a season or two, but you pretty much know they're eventually going to stink it up, and it's no surprise that they do.

You think our players have a better chance to score runs when down late as opposed to being up late?

hasn't he been BABIP'd to death in the early going? I missed yesterday's game, but that Houston loss was seeing-eye single after seeing-eye single.

Yes, that Houston run was pure luck. And poor defense compounded yesterday's loss. Why is that Soriano always makes his worse defensive plays in the 8th or 9th inning? Braun, who is brutal himself at LF defense at times, was able to make the same play Soriano did not just a few innings earlier. The moment the ball touches the bat Soriano takes one step in, it's driving me nutty.