North Side Baseball

Dempster deferrs portion of contract

Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that Ryan Dempster is deferring $3 million of his $12.5 million salary this year to give the team more flexibility.

And to avoid a return to the bullpen? No, that probably doesn't have anything to do with it. But Dempster likes his place in the rotation and wouldn't want to shift to a setup role. The money he's deferring could allow the Cubs to go get themselves an eighth-inning guy later.

Very classy. Unfortunately players cannot do this too often or it would offer management the opportunity to spend even more frivolously, knowing that players would help compensate for payroll mistakes.

Very classy. Unfortunately players cannot do this too often or it would offer management the opportunity to spend even more frivolously, knowing that players would help compensate for payroll mistakes.

Plus, that deferred money can come back to haunt you. Cripes, the Rangers still owe Mickey Tettleton $1.4m.

Very classy move, but it just shows how little payroll room the Cubs have to get better.

It really really scares me that the Cubs are obsessed with getting a bullpen arm and now have $3 mil more to play with.

This actually already happened in the offseason...to get Nady. Looks like the budget crunch is on again!

Dempster Deferred Salary To Give Cubs Flexibility

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [May 28 at 8:50pm CST]

8:50pm: Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago reports that Dempster's salary deferral actually came this past offseason, allowing the Cubs to sign Xavier Nady. Rosenthal confirms the report, via Twitter. A bit of a disappointment for Cubs fans who were hoping the team would be able to to use those savings to make a trade this summer.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/05/dempster-defers-salary-to-give-cubs-flexibility.html

Old-Timey Member
Definitely a class move by Dempster. That said, I'm GLAD that the money looks like it's already spent, since trading for another reliever just isn't what this team needs. I'm hoping Ricketts doesn't want to spend on this year's team and lets go of everyone available to let go of in the offseason as well.

Plus, that deferred money can come back to haunt you. Cripes, the Rangers still owe Mickey Tettleton $1.4m.

how is that worse for the Rangers?

i'm not sure why dempster, who's probably worth like 50 million dollars or whatever, needs to be loaning money to the freaking billionaire who just bought the team.

Ex-Billionaire. He spent his riches on a poorly run business

i'm not sure why dempster, who's probably worth like 50 million dollars or whatever, needs to be loaning money to the freaking billionaire who just bought the team.

If I'm remembering right, wasn't the Nady deal done before the ownership change? The later reports make a lot more sense that Dempster deferred his contract during the offseason when the money was likely frozen during the last portion of the sale.