North Side Baseball

Bobby Bowden to Retire

E.J.

Community Moderator
Legendary Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, who built one of college football's greatest dynasties in 34 seasons with the Seminoles, plans to announce his retirement Tuesday morning, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com.

Bowden, whose 388 career victories trail only Penn State's Joe Paterno as college football's winningest coach, met with FSU president TK Wetherell and athletic director Randy Spetman on Monday morning. According to sources, Bowden was given two options: return to FSU in 2010 as an ambassador to the program, in which he would have little input in the day-to-day operations of the program, or retire after the Seminoles' upcoming bowl game.

Sources told ESPN.com that offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher, who was named Bowden's eventual successor near the end of the 2007 season, has agreed to contract terms to replace Bowden after this season. The school's booster organization would have owed Fisher $5 million if he didn't replace Bowden by January 2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4701625

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't seem right. He built that program. He should be able to leave on his own accord. JMHO.

The guy is 80 freaking years old. What if his own accord means coaching until he's 97 years old, blind and in a wheelchair? Should they let him do that because they owe it to him? Eventually, a program needs to do what is best for itself.

Doesn't seem right. He built that program. He should be able to leave on his own accord. JMHO.

The guy is 80 freaking years old. What if his own accord means coaching until he's 97 years old, blind and in a wheelchair? Should they let him do that because they owe it to him? Eventually, a program needs to do what is best for itself.

He could go Strom Thurmond on them.

http://iaintnooprah.blogspot.com/2008/08/is-gonna-rouin-me-bishen-cutter.html

The program wouldn't be anything with out him. Wait him out. He's been loyal to them for 30 odd years, would it kill them now to be loyal to him for another 5?

The program wouldn't be anything with out him. Wait him out. He's been loyal to them for 30 odd years, would it kill them now to be loyal to him for another 5?

It might. Building the program from the ground up won't matter much if he runs the team back into it.

It might. Building the program from the ground up won't matter much if he runs the team back into it.

I guess, just think Bobby should leave on his own accord. I also don't think that FSU is run into the ground by any means.

There's an argument to be made that FSU would have been a national power with or without Bowden. He just happened to be the coach who was there during the period of time when Florida (the entire state) went through a population boom.

Let's not forget that if Bama decides not to hold interviews after Ray Perkins left, he's at Bama and they are having these problems. I'm pretty sure that a program like Bama wouldn't put up with this mediocrity either (and, judging by their coaching history after Stallings, they haven't).

I'm glad he's gone before he died on the sidelines. I wish he would have left after 1999 or 2000, when he was on top of the world.

Actually, waiting that long while the program continues to regress could hurt in a number of ways, not the least of which is financially. Imagine that the losing continues and only 2,000 fewer people attend games because of it. Average ticket price is what, $40? So, $80,000 per game in lost ticket revenue= nearly 500k a year. Over 5 years, that is a loss of 2.5 million dollars in ticket revenue alone, and I'd wager that is a very conservative estimate.

What, really does FSU owe Bowden? He made them a National Power. They made him a multi-millionaire. I'd say the sides are even.

There's an argument to be made that FSU would have been a national power with or without Bowden. He just happened to be the coach who was there during the period of time when Florida (the entire state) went through a population boom.

Let's not forget that if Bama decides not to hold interviews after Ray Perkins left, he's at Bama and they are having these problems. I'm pretty sure that a program like Bama wouldn't put up with this mediocrity either (and, judging by their coaching history after Stallings, they haven't).

I'm glad he's gone before he died on the sidelines. I wish he would have left after 1999 or 2000, when he was on top of the world.

There's an argument to be made that FSU's streak of 14 consecutive top 5 finishes (13 consecutive top 4) will never be broken. Someone else might have made FSU a power but to expect someone to have that kind of run is crazy.

Actually, waiting that long while the program continues to regress could hurt in a number of ways, not the least of which is financially. Imagine that the losing continues and only 2,000 fewer people attend games because of it. Average ticket price is what, $40? So, $80,000 per game in lost ticket revenue= nearly 500k a year. Over 5 years, that is a loss of 2.5 million dollars in ticket revenue alone, and I'd wager that is a very conservative estimate.

What, really does FSU owe Bowden? He made them a National Power. They made him a multi-millionaire. I'd say the sides are even.

what your post ignores is that when bowden arrived, the stadium capacity was 40,000 and now it's more than double that; if fsu hadn't had a great coach and instead followed the path of, say, duke or maryland, then they'd still be drawing 40,000 every game and their revenue would be lower by something like $10M per year, or $50M in 5 years.

what your post ignores is that when bowden arrived, the stadium capacity was 40,000 and now it's more than double that; if fsu hadn't had a great coach and instead followed the path of, say, duke or maryland, then they'd still be drawing 40,000 every game and their revenue would be lower by something like $10M per year, or $50M in 5 years.

Which is how the situation was playing out. We had a crowd of around 50K for the Maryland game, in spite of many knowing it was Mickey's last home game and potentially Bobby's last home game.

Average ticket is $50. Stadium capacity is roughly 85K. Imagine a couple seasons more of this, and you'll see where finances come into play.

And that's before looking at some of the Boosters sitting on the sidelines who weren't happy about the direction of the program. We already have a few "new" boosters who are ready to pony up for an indoor facility and a state-of-the-art dorm project shortly after the announcement of Jimbo as HC.

The guy is 80 freaking years old. What if his own accord means coaching until he's 97 years old, blind and in a wheelchair?

Leave Joe Paterno out of this.

I wonder if guys like Paterno and Bowden are just afraid they'll drop dead soon after they quit coaching. Bryant died less than a month after he retired and he was 10+ years younger than Paterno and Bowden are now. That has to get in their head a bit.

Musberger did an interview last year where he said that was his big concern about Paterno. For those guys, without football, what do you fill the hours with, and why bother?

Well, no, it wouldn't literally kill them. But it could have pretty adverse effects if they spend another five years toiling in mediocrity while Bowden pretends to be a head coach.

So what? He's already been compensated for what he's done in the past and he's going to receive some sort of naming honor if they haven't already. You don't get guaranteed employment for life, especially not at that level of compensation and with such responsibilities. The department has an obligation to the future.

It will be interesting to see if Bobby leaves behind any kind of legacy in terms of continued recruiting and on-the-field success, or if Florida State will just fade back down to where it was before he arrived.

He did have a sort of "cult-of-personality" feel during the great years. I could see the program not being able to get back up there.

It will be interesting to see if Bobby leaves behind any kind of legacy in terms of continued recruiting and on-the-field success, or if Florida State will just fade back down to where it was before he arrived.

He did have a sort of "cult-of-personality" feel during the great years. I could see the program not being able to get back up there.

It doesn't take much. They just need to have the athletic department and school keep a committment to winning. FSU can recruit every player the other teams can, there's no inherent disadvantage.

LOL

Jimbo Fisher is one of the most aggressive recruiters/coaches out there, and he's not one to settle for mediocrity. Under his guidance, our offense has steadily risen (86-ish, 54-ish, 27-ish) and is only looking better. He expects the defense to improve as quickly as the offense did. I would expect a good year next year, and us to be a MNC contender in 2011 again.

LOL

Jimbo Fisher is one of the most aggressive recruiters/coaches out there, and he's not one to settle for mediocrity. Under his guidance, our offense has steadily risen (86-ish, 54-ish, 27-ish) and is only looking better. He expects the defense to improve as quickly as the offense did. I would expect a good year next year, and us to be a MNC contender in 2011 again.

I've heard this story before. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't. All I'm saying is it will be interesting to see.

I wonder if guys like Paterno and Bowden are just afraid they'll drop dead soon after they quit coaching. Bryant died less than a month after he retired and he was 10+ years younger than Paterno and Bowden are now. That has to get in their head a bit.

Paterno does believe that. It was mentioned in the Sporting News not too long ago.