North Side Baseball

2010 Cubs Picks & Signings Thread

As for the Simpson pick, if the reports are true, it doesn't look to be the huge reach it originally appeared to be. I would have preferred seeing us wait to try for him in the second round, but I like everything I've heard about or seen from him since he was selected.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are so many people so willing to assume he was right with colvin? Tyler has been a bad pro for most of his career, and he has a handful of quality pa in selected opportunities this year. Let's give it some time before we just assume it all worked out for the best. Shark is still terrible, bitters has done nothing except convince them to keep promoting him without the numbers to justify the fast track. Cashner looks great but we knew he could relieve, and he hasn't started much. Jackson looks good, but I believe not quite what he was on first impression last year. The cubs have drafted lots of guys who can make the majors but the top of the draft is for impact players, not people you think have a chance to be a starter.

yeah, i don't get the "well, i trust wilken, he hasn't let us down so far" line. if his 1st round success stories are a fourth outfielder and a middle reliever, i'm not going to be too wowed.

Tyler Colvin could and should be starting and Cashner is about to become are setup man and he's only been up for a week. And Brett Jackson is already one of our better prospects. I would say he's done a pretty good job so far.

could and should is meaningless. He's been a bad pro, and his success has been very limited. He could very easily be exposed if he starts. and first round picks should not be setup men.

Wilken didn't switch Cashner to the bullpen and Cashner is more successful than most of the players drafted before him in that draft. And for Colvin he hasn't been exposed yet and is one of the homerun leaders on our team with half the PA.

Why are so many people so willing to assume he was right with colvin? Tyler has been a bad pro for most of his career, and he has a handful of quality pa in selected opportunities this year. Let's give it some time before we just assume it all worked out for the best. Shark is still terrible, bitters has done nothing except convince them to keep promoting him without the numbers to justify the fast track. Cashner looks great but we knew he could relieve, and he hasn't started much. Jackson looks good, but I believe not quite what he was on first impression last year. The cubs have drafted lots of guys who can make the majors but the top of the draft is for impact players, not people you think have a chance to be a starter.

yeah, i don't get the "well, i trust wilken, he hasn't let us down so far" line. if his 1st round success stories are a fourth outfielder and a middle reliever, i'm not going to be too wowed.

Tyler Colvin could and should be starting and Cashner is about to become are setup man and he's only been up for a week. And Brett Jackson is already one of our better prospects. I would say he's done a pretty good job so far.

could and should is meaningless. He's been a bad pro, and his success has been very limited. He could very easily be exposed if he starts. and first round picks should not be setup men.

Which one has been a bad pro? Colvin has produced pretty darn well so far in limited action. In regard to Cashner, he has dominated the minor leagues all year this year as a starter. There is nothing at all to suggest that he wouldn't be effective as a starter in the majors. The decision to use him as a set up guy, wasn't made by Wilken.

Guests
Lol. Because Cashner will always be a middle reliever and wasn't one of the top starting pitching prospects in the minors this season.

Which one has been a bad pro? Colvin has produced pretty darn well so far in limited action. In regard to Cashner, he has dominated the minor leagues all year this year as a starter. There is nothing at all to suggest that he wouldn't be effective as a starter in the majors. The decision to use him as a set up guy, wasn't made by Wilken.

I agree with this, I think some of you think that we should be drafting Albert Pujols with our first round pick. The MLB draft is a crap shoot half the time and if his picks are in the majors and making an impact than those are good picks.

Guests

Wilken can get some credit for Colvin for not being wrong for bucking the trend, but he didn't find some jewel that everyone else hated. Colvin's a 4th outfielder. That's successful relative to most picks, but hardly a home run.

On the other hand, I'm wondering exactly what type of success rate Wilken needs to have to please everyone. Cashner was not a popular pick and is now one of the best prospects in baseball, a legitimate top of the rotation talent. Alex Rios is a very successful pick, as are all the other ones brought up about Wilken like Carpenter and Wells(I think Wells at least). Brett Jackson has been a good pick so far. It seems that he's doing quite well for himself. Not that he's earned immunity on his decisions(as my reaction to Simpson illustrates), but he's done well.

and being a "top prospect" when you're the most recent 1st round pick isn't all that impressive either...especially in the cubs' system.

What does especially in the Cubs system mean? The Cubs top 6-7 was one of the best in baseball (it will obviously drop if both Castro and Cashner graduate). And Jackson is widely considered one of the best picks of the 09 draft so far which is why he was 74th on BA's top 100 list.

Vitters is probably the most questionable pick so far from Wilken considering he was drafted 3rd. Cashner is one of the best pitching prosepcts in all of baseball at this point. Jackson is an excellent prospect. Colvin still has huge question marks attached to him but it has been nice to see that he apparently has at least one huge tool (his immense power potential). The biggest concern with him is if he can keep hitting line drives at the rate he has with his huge strikeout rate.

A guy who signs a contract is a pro. Colvin has been a pro since the day he signed, and he's been bad for the vast majority of that time. He's had some surprising success in very limited major league time, but nothing he did as a minor leaguer suggest he will maintain this rate, especially if he starts everyday.

As for wilken, I'm still waiting for his first pick that actually has a significant impact with the Cubs. Cashner is nice, but if he's only a reliever, that's not going to cut it. If he does turn into a legit major league starting pitcher, great.

The point is it's idiotic to say, well Colvin has started well, everybody was wrong about him and Wilken was right, therefore you cannot question a pick regardless of whether or not it was a huge reach.

Wilken seems more interested in proving people wrong than drafting the best player.

Guests
The point is it's idiotic to say, well Colvin has started well, everybody was wrong about him and Wilken was right, therefore you cannot question a pick regardless of whether or not it was a huge reach.

Who said that?

By the same token you could say it's pretty foolish to refuse to give any credit to Wilken because every 1st rounder he takes isn't a 10 time all-star.

Wilken seems more interested in proving people wrong than drafting the best player.

Who said you can't question Wilken's pick? Basically everybody has done nothing but question the Simpson pick. However, most realize he's brought in some very talented players with high upsides into our system, know his track record of bringing in guys like Halladay, Carpenter and Rios into the Blue Jays' system, and are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't see why questioning a pick, but giving a guy with a very good track record the benefit of the doubt is that bad.

Who said you can't question Wilken's pick? Basically everybody has done nothing but question the Simpson pick. However, most realize he's brought in some very talented players with high upsides into our system, know his track record of bringing in guys like Halladay, Carpenter and Rios into the Blue Jays' system, and are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't see why questioning a pick, but giving a guy with a very good track record the benefit of the doubt is that bad.

all the media stories leading up to today were, colvin made it, we were wrong. And a lot of what people have written in the last 18 hours is, well, he has earned the benefit of the doubt.

and first round picks should not be setup men.

Blame that one on player development and management. Considering how well he was doing at AAA, Cashner should have stayed in the rotation. It's not Wilken's fault that this organization can get really moronic with its prospects.

all the media stories leading up to today were, colvin made it, we were wrong. And a lot of what people have written in the last 18 hours is, well, he has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Colvin has definitely shown improvement, but anybody saying he's a sure thing is jumping the gun.

And what's wrong with giving a guy who's drafted proven major leaguers like Roy Halladay, Chris Carpenter and Alex Rios and guys with great upside like Andrew Cashner and Brett Jackson the benefit of the doubt?

Guests
Reggie Golden | OF | Alabama HS

Golden is another fast riser that has been mentioned in first round consideration. The raw, but athletic outfielder flashes all five tools and speed is a big part of his game right now but he’s expected to slow down as his body matures. Golden also has good bat speed and a very strong arm, which is tailor-made for right-field. He’ll have to watch his conditioning, as he’s already 210 lbs on a 5′10” frame and he has a thick lower half. He’s committed to the University of Alabama. (Marc Hulet)

Reggie Golden is from Alabama, where baseball blood runs decades deep and has produced some of the best all-around players the game has ever seen. Golden has power, speed and a good arm, which make this three-tool guy a great get for the University of Alabama, if he gets that far after the draft.

Reggie Golden, OF

5-11, 205

Bats: R, Throws: R

Wetumpka HS, Wetumpka, AL

Games Seen: 1, Innings: 9

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Broad shoulders and strong chest, strong hands, forearms and grip. Stocky lower half, strong and durable legs and thighs. Medium height and low center of gravity.

STRENGTHS: Above-average runner, good first step. Above-average raw power, above-average raw arm strength.

WEAKNESSES: Will need to improve power frequency, arm accuracy, contact consistency, defensive footwork and angles of approach over the coming years; all correctable with time, age and experience.

SUMMARY: Should not have one below-average major league tool in coming years. Should profile as everyday corner outfielder with middle-of-the-order potential.

GRADES (Present/Future):

Hit 30/50

Power 30/70

Run 70/70

Field 50/50

Arm 60/60

Overall Future Potential: 60

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2010/05/30/reggie-golden-video/

96. Reggie Golden, of

Wetumpka (Ala.) HS

The top player in Alabama's high school ranks for the last two seasons, Golden is an Alabama recruit whose build and tools remind some evaluators of another Southeastern Conference player of recent vintage, current Brewers farmhand Kentrail Davis. He's a five-tool athlete with present strength who profiles as a right fielder, even though he stands less than 6 feet tall. Golden impressed scouts by grinding through the spring despite a hamstring pull that slowed him all season. He still ran average to above-average times despite his injury, but as he matures, speed won't be a major part of his game. Power will, as Golden has impressive strength and raw bat speed. His approach at the plate is raw, and he lacks the plate discipline that allowed Davis to star from the start of his SEC career. His best present tool is his above-average arm, which fits well in right field. He plays with energy and is coachable, and he'll have to adjust to better pitching with his raw hitting skills.

He's a bit of a gamble, though. He's got problems making contact and needs to improve his pitch recognition skills. However, his tools are off the charts and his ceiling is really, really good. The Cubs will have to do a lot of work with him and he'll need plenty of time. But, as a second round pick, he's a great gamble to take.

It's also nice, since apparently he was a bit of a signability concern. It shows the Cubs should be willing to spend.

Guests
I love this pick speed and power potential.

Doesn't sound like he will have much speed potential in a few years.

I love this pick speed and power potential.

Doesn't sound like he will have much speed potential in a few years.

I was reading somewhere they think he will just keep gaining weight and he will lose his speed but that's just based on projection so we'll see.

So will there be a signability issue with him? I read he expected to go within the first 35 picks and that he's already committed to Alabama.

Some concerns, but if the Cubs are willing to spend, he shouldn't be too difficult to sign.

Meanwhile, the Cubs just took another player from LSU.