North Side Baseball

2010 Cubs Picks & Signings Thread

Craig, I'm pretty sure the CBA now starts the option clock right when he signs rather than when he debuts which is why guys like Vitters played right after signing on 8/15. I remembered it being a big deal when it came up. I'll try to hunt out links later.

Didn't this happen in conjunction with guys getting an extra pre-option year? Or did I make that up?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guests
Craig, I'm pretty sure the CBA now starts the option clock right when he signs rather than when he debuts which is why guys like Vitters played right after signing on 8/15. I remembered it being a big deal when it came up. I'll try to hunt out links later.

Didn't this happen in conjunction with guys getting an extra pre-option year? Or did I make that up?

I believe you're right. I can't find a link though.

• 1 month later...

From Callis latest draft chat......

I know you just released the Draft Report Cards, but I would grade the Cubs 2010 Draft as a C. No stand out performances so far...Hayden Simpson has not pitched so the jury is still out on whether Tim Wilken was correct on selecting him that high. Tough to be a Cubs fan these days as usual.

Jim Callis: The jury is still out on Simpson, and I wouldn't have taken him as high as the Cubs did. That said, I did like a lot of their later picks. Outfielder Matt Szczur (fifth round) and righthander Ben Wells (seventh) could be flat-out steals. I also thought they really cleans up in round 10-16 with guys like righties Aaron Kurcz, Austin Reed and Ryan Hartman, lefty Eric Jokisch and second baseman Pierre LePage. Don't be surprised if this draft turns out to be a B in the long run.

BA also posted their draft report cards today. In short...

Best Hitter: Szczur

Best Power Hitter: Golden (potential plus plus power)

Fastest: Szczur

Best Defense: Gibbs (best receiver in draft) and Elliot Soto

Best FB: Simpson (who reportedly touched 96-97), Wells & Kurcz (both could dial up to 95, Wells might have more to come)

Best Seconday Pitch: Greathouse (Curve), Wells (Slider), Reed (Changeup, advanced for his age)

Best Debut: Szczur, Kurcz, and LePage

Best Athlete: Szczur and Golden (five tool potential)

Most Intriguing Background: Szczur, Bryan Harper (Bryce's brother), Santiago & Nielsen (both had dads in MLB)

Closest to Majors: Simpson or Kurcz

Best Late Round Pick: Kurcz, Reed, Geiger, Beeler

One Who Got Away: DeJesus, Pinckard (Cubs apparently loved his speed more than his fb)

• 1 month later...

Matt Szczur and his Villanova Wildcats are taking on Appalachian State on ESPN right now in the Division 1 quarterfinals. Szczur is balling:

Passing: 2/2, 58 yards, 1 TD

Rushing: 8 carries, 67 yards, 2 TDs

Receiving: 4 receptions, 32 yards, 1 TD

And it's still the second quarter.

SB Nation tapped Matt Garrioch to replace Andy Seiler over at MLB Bonus Baby. He did a write-up on the Cubs' draft which, while not as in-depth as Seiler's, still provides some nice information on some of the Cubs' signings.

Nice. First time I've read *anything* about Daniel Sanchez:

Dan Sanchez, SS

Sanchez, who was signed out of the Dominican, has average speed and decent arm for SS. I would bet he moves over to 3B and that should work because he has plus raw power.

Matt Szczur and his Villanova Wildcats are taking on Appalachian State on ESPN right now in the Division 1 quarterfinals. Szczur is balling:

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but apparently Szczur was invited to the Senior Bowl.

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but apparently Szczur was invited to the Senior Bowl.

Yeah, they were talking about it during the game yesterday. He looks like a legit round 5 - 7 guy and I could see him playing Sundays.