North Side Baseball

Lou's Lineup Idiocy Continues

Derwood

per Rotoworld:

Cubs manager Lou Piniella indicated Saturday that he currently sees Mike Fontenot starting at second base and batting sixth on Opening Day.

It sounds like Piniella envisions going with the following lineup against righties: LF Alfonso Soriano, CF Kosuke Fukudome, 1B Derrek Lee, RF Milton Bradley, 3B Aramis Ramirez, 2B Fontenot, C Geovany Soto and SS Ryan Theriot. Versus lefties, we imagine that Reed Johnson will take Fukudome's spot batting second and Soto and Theriot will move up a spot apiece, with Aaron Miles replacing Fontenot and hitting eighth.

His fetish for LRLRLR lineups is ridiculous when it results in GEOVANY SOTO batting 7th. SEVENTH? For crap's sake, Lou...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

per Rotoworld:

Cubs manager Lou Piniella indicated Saturday that he currently sees Mike Fontenot starting at second base and batting sixth on Opening Day.

It sounds like Piniella envisions going with the following lineup against righties: LF Alfonso Soriano, CF Kosuke Fukudome, 1B Derrek Lee, RF Milton Bradley, 3B Aramis Ramirez, 2B Fontenot, C Geovany Soto and SS Ryan Theriot. Versus lefties, we imagine that Reed Johnson will take Fukudome's spot batting second and Soto and Theriot will move up a spot apiece, with Aaron Miles replacing Fontenot and hitting eighth.

His fetish for LRLRLR lineups is ridiculous when it results in GEOVANY SOTO batting 7th. SEVENTH? For crap's sake, Lou...

What is your chief complaint? Soto batting 7th or Lous propensity for LRLR? In either case you're building a mountain out of that mole hill. What is the dramatic difference between 6th and 7th spots? With Aram and Font directly in front of Soto, he could see more AB's with men on base than Lee who is batting 3rd.

Their career major league numbers against right-handers:

Soto: 407 AB's, .280/.359/.506

Fontenot: 406 AB's, .298/.379/.473

Fontenot was about 60 points better last year, but I felt that wasn't fair since Soto was so much better in limited action in 07. It's hard to go much further back because they've both improved so much in the last couple years.

Anyway, there really isn't too big of a difference between them against right-handed pitching. I'd put Soto 6th because I think he will be a little better and for the problems it will create later in the game for Fontenot to be further up (if Miles replaces him because of a pitching change, do we really want him batting between Ramirez and Soto in the late innings?).

But overall I don't think it's a terrible decision by Lou to start the season. If Soto shows himself to be a lot better than Fontenot, Lou will probably start switching them.

I think some people just don't realize how good Fontenot has been at the plate. It remains to be seen how he does with a (mostly) full time job, but he's definitely earned a shot at it.

(and I know that's not what this thread is about, but it isn't completely absurd to hit him a spot ahead of Soto)

The biggest thing I hate about that lineup is our best hitter batting 5th

Something tells me that Lee will be on a short leash in the three spot this yr. If Lee continues his quest to become the greatest double play machine in MLB History, I will put money of Piniella moving him out of the 3 spot. Between you and me, Lee should be hitting 6th this yr, but Piniella has the respect factor for the "experienced" player to make that move.

For what it's worth (nothing), I would like to see the middle of the order look like this:

3. Ramirez

4. Bradley

5. Soto

6. Lee (Kind of scary to have Mr. 6-4-3 right after tubby)

I agree with this.

The problem with Soto 7th (or 6th) is that you are limiting his at-bats over the course of the season (while giving more AB's to Fukudome/Lee).

I really don't have a problem with Soto hitting 7th. It will allow him to probably get more ab's with runners on and makes our lineup deeper, it also will provide Fontenot with some protection behind him. Which is important as he will benefit more from Soto behind him than Theriot.

For what it's worth (nothing), I would like to see the middle of the order look like this:

3. Ramirez

4. Bradley

5. Soto

6. Lee (Kind of scary to have Mr. 6-4-3 right after tubby)

I agree with this.

The problem with Soto 7th (or 6th) is that you are limiting his at-bats over the course of the season (while giving more AB's to Fukudome/Lee).

I agree, obviously. I really am hoping for a much better season from Fukudome, but I'm not counting on it. Therefore, he should be hitting 7th. I know one thing, the person hitting in the 2-hole is going to see a lot of good pitches. That person would be hitting with 4 other all-stars (as in guys that could potentially make the team this year, Lee and Fukudome don't count) around him (Soriano, Ramirez, Bradley, Soto).

heh okay so move him up to 6 and then you have him batting in front of Lee, Bradley, and Ramirez. 3 guys who get on base at an even bigger clip! Not to mention Fukudome at number 2.

Yes, but soto is also probably the slowest of that bunch. So putting him at seven keeps him off the basepaths for guys who are more likely to hit gappers.

heh okay so move him up to 6 and then you have him batting in front of Lee, Bradley, and Ramirez. 3 guys who get on base at an even bigger clip! Not to mention Fukudome at number 2.

Yes, but soto is also probably the slowest of that bunch. So putting him at seven keeps him off the basepaths for guys who are more likely to hit gappers.

http://www.truveo.com/Sotos-insidethepark-homer/id/895028228