North Side Baseball

Andruw Jones is...

Tim

1-9 to start the spring - a robust .111. But that isn't the best part!

His BABIP is 1.000 due to the fact that all 8 outs so far have been strikeouts. Yes, he's whiffed 8 of the 9 times he's been to the plate.

Way to go, Andruw!

Howe the mighty have fallen. I remember him being touted as the next Willie Mays and hall of famer

IIRC, during the spring before Andruw's break out year it was Willy Mays who pointed out a flaw in his swing, and Andruw heeded his advice, changes his swing, and crushed 50 home runs that year. I wonder if he just forgot what he was doing right or if he just didn't care since he was making big bucks

..... fat?

I think his conditioning is certainly an issue, but it can't be the only thing. He has to have some sort of mechanical flaw going on in his swing, whether it's hands, feet, arms, hitches, too much crouching, etc. I find it pretty crazy that since it's clear that he has lost something/needs fixing he is unwilling to try and change something in his swing. I mean he put up a .158/.256/.249 in 209 ab's and had 76 K's and only 3 HR. Assuming there are no injuries those are numbers that warrant some type of change in swing or approach, what's he scared of changing? It's not like if he changed something in his swing and batted .100 it would be a drastic fall off from last season.

..... fat?

I think his conditioning is certainly an issue, but it can't be the only thing. He has to have some sort of mechanical flaw going on in his swing, whether it's hands, feet, arms, hitches, too much crouching, etc. I find it pretty crazy that since it's clear that he has lost something/needs fixing he is unwilling to try and change something in his swing. I mean he put up a .158/.256/.249 in 209 ab's and had 76 K's and only 3 HR. Assuming there are no injuries those are numbers that warrant some type of change in swing or approach, what's he scared of changing? It's not like if he changed something in his swing and batted .100 it would be a drastic fall off from last season.

There are fat guys who can hit. But Jones got fat, then stopped hitting. It probably indicates he really just doesn't care anymore.

geovany soto credits losing 30 lbs with his breakthrough; i don't see why a player who lets himself go can't suffer a decrease in bat speed that ends up really crippling his career.

Its the weight and he changed his swing the year he hit all those homeruns. That year he switched to be more of a power hitter and if you remember his swing would make him fall to his knees because it corked his entire body up. He then put on a lot of weight. The weight coupled with a very high risk, high reward swing has led to him falling off the face of the baseball world.

..... fat?

There are fat guys who can hit. But Jones got fat, then stopped hitting. It probably indicates he really just doesn't care anymore.

Just because some fat guys can hit doesn't mean any ballplayer can get fat and still hit. I really think this is a big part of Jones problem.

You simply don't become THAT bad over the course of one offseason. He's gotta just not care anymore, or he's hiding an injury. Those are the only 2 possible explinations.

well there's one other possible reason

That he is losing his sight and doesn't realize it?

You simply don't become THAT bad over the course of one offseason. He's gotta just not care anymore, or he's hiding an injury. Those are the only 2 possible explinations.

well there's one other possible reason

That he is losing his sight and doesn't realize it?

no

geovany soto credits losing 30 lbs with his breakthrough; i don't see why a player who lets himself go can't suffer a decrease in bat speed that ends up really crippling his career.

what is amazing is these guys can hire professional trainers in the off-season and cooks to manager their diets

Jones was a five tool talent playing the best defensive CF of our generation, and stayed consistent throughout an 11 year span with maybe 1 real outlier year. obvious laziness is so much more probable a culprit for his decline than steroid use, if you ask me.