North Side Baseball

Brenly Calls out ARam, Again!

CubbieRich

Can you imagine if DLee, Barret, Jones, and Aram all decided they'd start loafing on the basepaths whenever the mood struck? What fan would even want to watch a team like that, let alone cheer for it?

DLee, Barret and Jones all hustle like crazy out there, and I barely want to watch this team. Raisin hit the nail on the head.

Actually, I agree whole-heartedly with Tim. The manager/management lets him get away with not hustling. As has already been said, Bobby Cox wouldn't let ARam get away with his lack of hustle. He'd call him out for it.

Raisin's and Tim's comments aren't at odds with each other.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramirez's lack of hustle has been apparent since he first broke into the big leagues -- of course, it was probably only apparent to me the first series I watched the Cubs play against the Pirates. Last year, people wanted to excuse it with "he has leg problems" or "he's kind of soft, next offseason he's going to work really hard and get into shape". Well, here it is a year later and he still dogs it at times and he still doesn't seem to be in tip-top shape. Just like you can't tell a .280 hitter from a .300 hitter by watching games, stats don't tell you everything, just most things. Ramirez's lack of hustle is indefensible. I do think it's an insult to the fans, his teammates, the game of baseball and the Cubs organization.

That being said, this is nowhere -- NOWHERE -- near the top of the Cubs' problems. It's not even close. Ramirez is currently the teams most productive hitter, and, overall, most would say the second best hitter behind a healthy Lee. Ramirez should not be run out of town or scapegoated. Of course, as goes for any player, he can be had for the right price. But the Cubs have third base covered for the first time since Santo, so I certainly wouldn't actively shop him. If blown away by an offer, then fine.

What should be done is something that won't. Either Dusty makes him run hard or the Cubs get someone who will. I would obviously prefer the latter (nearly anything sans Dusty sounds good to me). Players play the way they are allowed to play. The organization doesn't hold anyone accountable for anything, from top to bottom, and lack of hustle is symptomatic of that.

Very well said!

Can you imagine if DLee, Barret, Jones, and Aram all decided they'd start loafing on the basepaths whenever the mood struck? What fan would even want to watch a team like that, let alone cheer for it?

DLee, Barret and Jones all hustle like crazy out there, and I barely want to watch this team. Raisin hit the nail on the head.

Actually, I agree whole-heartedly with Tim. The manager/management lets him get away with not hustling. As has already been said, Bobby Cox wouldn't let ARam get away with his lack of hustle. He'd call him out for it.

Raisin's and Tim's comments aren't at odds with each other.

Yeah. I agree with what Tim said.

Old-Timey Member

Ok, I don't like Aramis that much. He has done some things that rub me the wrong way, whether it be not hustling or occasionally looking extremely aloof out there. He doesn't look like someone that really enjoys playing the game, he looks like someone that is really good at it, so he figured why not make a bunch of money doing it. And, his hustle problems do need to be fixed. Dusty, Hendry, whoever needs to have a talk with him and tell him that anything he hits that looks remotely like it might be a base hit should be run out, and anything less will get you benched the rest of the game.

Now all that said, other than Barrett and Z, Aramis is the only one putting up even decent numbers relative to position. So he may not be putting forth the necessary effort on the basepaths, but it sure looks like he's putting forth the effort to make himself a great hitter, and if you make me pick one or the other, I'll take the loafing great hitter over the hustling average ballplayer every time.

Community Moderator
I'd stick with Aramis until that A-Rod trade comes through.

Good. So Aramis will be retiring as a Cub.

Some would say that he's already opting for early retirement, at least on the basepaths.

"They" said there were motivational issues with him on the Pirates. When he came to the Cubs, there were established Dominican players here and the team was in the playoffs.

Those respected Dominican players are no longer on the Cubs. The team isn't contending. DLee was the recognized team leader, at least media-wise, and he was out-of-service early on. Ramirez may not have been ready for the spotlight.

He doesn't give very good interviews and he really really needs to stick with a station-to-station basepath plan, but he can still hit the ball really hard and really far. He shouldn't be the main plan, but he can fit into the overall plan quite nicely still. Trade him if you get good value back, but don't trade him because of lack of heart or hustle. Because sometimes the environment has a huge effect on that, and that seems to be the case with Aramis (like it or not).

JMO, and I understand those who can't stand it when he admires his blasts. Sadly, there are only a handful of players who don't do that anymore (and Pujols is not among that handful). I'm not quite ready to exchange Aramis for some guy who won't have any blasts to stand around and admire for too long, and I don't trust Hendry to find someone or someones better than Aramis.

Some would say that he's already opting for early retirement, at least on the basepaths.

"They" said there were motivational issues with him on the Pirates. When he came to the Cubs, there were established Dominican players here and the team was in the playoffs.

Those respected Dominican players are no longer on the Cubs. The team isn't contending. DLee was the recognized team leader, at least media-wise, and he was out-of-service early on. Ramirez may not have been ready for the spotlight.

He doesn't give very good interviews and he really really needs to stick with a station-to-station basepath plan, but he can still hit the ball really hard and really far. He shouldn't be the main plan, but he can fit into the overall plan quite nicely still. Trade him if you get good value back, but don't trade him because of lack of heart or hustle. Because sometimes the environment has a huge effect on that, and that seems to be the case with Aramis (like it or not).

JMO, and I understand those who can't stand it when he admires his blasts. Sadly, there are only a handful of players who don't do that anymore (and Pujols is not among that handful). I'm not quite ready to exchange Aramis for some guy who won't have any blasts to stand around and admire for too long, and I don't trust Hendry to find someone or someones better than Aramis.

Excellently said.

Excellently said.

This is total speculation, but I feel it necessary to point out that when ARam did hustle more on the basepaths he wound up on the DL.

He's healthy and has been the whole year, so while I'm not sure if there's a direct correlation, I'm also not sure I would want to risk it...