North Side Baseball

Hawpe out in Colorado

seth smith

He's very good, but I still don't agree with your conspiracy theory that they were benching him for an "inferior player" last year.

That guy would be Carlos Gonzalez.

yeah that was when Gonzo wasn't doing so hot. He's very clearly a superstar in the making. An outfield of Smith, Fowler, and Gonzalez would be pretty badass for the Rockies. Hawpe is making too much for what he is bringing to the field at the moment. I think they've been trying to dump him for a while now.

seth smith

He's very good, but I still don't agree with your conspiracy theory that they were benching him for an "inferior player" last year.

yeah that was when Gonzo wasn't doing so hot.

well, in that case frantic raving over the situation was warranted

how was anybody supposed to know he would become a great player if he wasn't already good???

seth smith

yeah that was when Gonzo wasn't doing so hot.

well, in that case frantic raving over the situation was warranted

how was anybody supposed to know he would become a great player if he wasn't already good???

heh. First two months of the season last year, Cargo was only hitting .223 with 1 HR, 5 RBI and a .661 OPS. In that same span this year he was at .309, 7 HR, 33 RBI with .842 OPS.

He's a guy that could be a stopgap at 1B for the next year and a half.

It's too bad he hasn't had some more time there.

At this point his ability to be at least adequate at 1B is pretty much a complete unknown.

He's played some 1B here and there. He also was widely regarded as a pretty good defensive 1B coming out of college and as a minor leaguer. He moved to RF because Helton was cemented at 1B.

FWIW, Hawpe is a pretty bad defensive OF, so it may be a case like Dunn, where he isn't going to hurt you more at 1B defensively than he would in RF.

• 2 weeks later...

nothing against Dunn, but if you consider we're going to need like $40-50M to acquire his services when we let a guy with a .902 OPS the last four seasons get away, signing just a milb deal, it just makes no sense at all (assuming we target Dunn hard, which seems likely to be our #1 offseason priority)

i understand it sounds like i'm jumping to a few conclusions here, but my general point is i think we let a great opportunity pass us by

Guests
nothing against Dunn, but if you consider we're going to need like $40-50M to acquire his services when we let a guy with a .902 OPS the last four seasons get away, signing just a milb deal, it just makes no sense at all (assuming we target Dunn hard, which seems likely to be our #1 offseason priority)

i understand it sounds like i'm jumping to a few conclusions here, but my general point is i think we let a great opportunity pass us by

I kinda view Hawpe in the same category as finding a 1B platoon. I mean, Hawpe could be comparable to Dunn, but with as far as he's fallen this year, playing in Coors, and his unknown defense at 1B, he's a bit of a lottery ticket. Same thing for trying a couple platoon heavy fringe MLBers as a platoon.

the upside to a platoon is having it work out sorta ok for a year, whereas the upside for Hawpe is you could have a great cheap solution for 1B for awhile and a very valuable asset

anybody this side of [expletive] Mike Piazza can field 1B ok. the Colorado thing means he won't be spoiled as much with non-moving fastballs and we can drop our expected line of his slightly. his baseline skills haven't eroded, so he's nearly as safe a bet as there is in baseball to hit pretty well (which isn't saying much, there really are very few safe bets and this statement could have been used for Aramis a few months ago)

Brad Hawpe's home/away splits aren't too drastically different to be concerned over a move away from Coors. If he were playing 1B on the cheap he'd be a good stopgap for next season if we wanted to hold out for Gonzalez or Fielder.

Career home: .286/.378/.513/.891 385H 91-2B 17-3B 60HR 203BB 355K

Career road: .274/.369/.471/.840 364H 75-2B 6-3B 58HR 197BB 356K

He's a pretty consistent hitter everywhere he plays. Coors obviously helps his extra base power (double and triples), but his home run power seems to be typically the same everywhere he goes. All his other numbers are virtually identical.

I think sneakypower is right in that we let a good opportunity go. Would've been a cheap option that might've been an adequate enough solution to our 1B hole next year. He wouldn't put up Adam Dunn numbers, but they would've been nice to have on the cheap (compared to what it would cost for Dunn), if we wanted to hold out for one of the FA's after next season.

But judging from the news, it seemed like he had a choice on where he would've liked to go, and I doubt he would've chosen the Cubs over the Rays, Red Sox, or Rangers at this point