North Side Baseball

Piniella: I'm retiring at the end of the season

Ballgame64

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a decent run in Chicago. This doesn't come as a surprise though. 2008 was my favorite season as a cub fan. Having said that, I think it was time to go. Likewise for Hendry. Edited by BeerHere

Sullivan's top five candidates for manager in 2011:

• Sandberg ("fans' choice" -- to which I respond, which fans?)
    Girardi
    Brenley (again, "fans' choice")
    Torre
    Trammel

Did Sully just post this on tribune.com or something?

If so, I'm not too keen on the idea of Torre coming to Chicago. Whether he has WS rings or not, the fact is that he's older than Lou. At this point, somewhat of a "youth" movement needs to occur. Bob Brenly, Fredi Gonzalez, Alan Trammel, Ryne Sandberg, and Bobby Valentine will all be candidates is my guess.

Seems like a situation where the ownership told him that we aren't going to bring you back and letting Lou take the dignified way out.

Mr. Hendry please report to the chopping block

I'd prefer a ninja attack to a "report to the principal's office" for Hendry. I don't want to give him time to eff things up any more.

Ryne Sandberg, come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn down!

Clearly Ryno was groomed for the role by Hendry and if he goes then there is no guaranty that Ryno is the next manager.

Is Sandberg as terrible as everyone seems to think? He could be. I just know he has said things about sacrifice bunts in the past and everyone subsequently hated him, but does anyone have actual insights on his managerial style? Just wondering.

Clearly Ryno was groomed for the role by Hendry and if he goes then there is no guaranty that Ryno is the next manager.

Is Sandberg as terrible as everyone seems to think? He could be. I just know he has said things about sacrifice bunts in the past and everyone subsequently hated him, but does anyone have actual insights on his managerial style? Just wondering.

if you want to like sandberg, you can, you're just going to have to ignore everything he's written and everything he's done as a minor league manager.

i'm not being sarcastic. if you're fine doing that, then, sure, there's nothing in his past to dislike. of course, if you do that, there's also just nothing in his past.

He thinks players should "respect the game" and "play the game the right way" so people here hate him.

Guests

He's backed up his hit-and-run and excessive bunting talk while managing in the minors.