North Side Baseball

Starlin Castro to AA

As someone who doesn't follow the minors all that closely, what's the scouting report on Castro?

Looking at the numbers, I'm not terribly impressed. What's so special about a .731 OPS at Daytona?

It's not really special, but it's kind of impressive from a 19 year old who has also begun his time in AA with even better numbers. For comparison's sake, Hanley Ramirez posted a .310/.364/.389 line in A+ at age 20. Jimmy Rollins was a 19 year old in A+ and he hit .244/.306/.354. Jason Bartlett put up lesser numbers in A+ and was 22 when he got there.

It's not numbers that make you think he's definitely star quality, but it's not bad numbers, and they are good enough to make you think he's got a good chance of a bright future.

Especially when you consider he's 2-3 years ahead of where most prospects are at his age.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who doesn't follow the minors all that closely, what's the scouting report on Castro?

Looking at the numbers, I'm not terribly impressed. What's so special about a .731 OPS at Daytona?

We were just talking about this in the top 10 prospects thread but I'll repeat it here (following up what the others have said).

It's a combination of things with Castro. First, his age. For him to already be in Daytona (and now Tennessee) without being completely dominated at the age of 19 is very impressive.

Then, his position of SS adds a lot to his value. He has the tools to play a good SS even though he needs quite a bit of work on consistency.

The fact that he strikes out a low percentage of the time means that he's more likely to keep up a good batting average even with such a terrible walk rate. Then add in the fact that he had a terrible April (which is to be expected jumping past two levels) and has played so well since then is another point in his favor.

His flaws are evident (walks, power, consistency on defense). But he has the combination of tools, the fact that he's way underage for these leagues, his position, and the good strikeout rate and average. That's enough to be excited about.

We were just talking about this in the top 10 prospects thread but I'll repeat it here (following up what the others have said).

Yeah, I saw the top 10 thread right after I asked here. Oops.

And that all makes sense about his age. Guess I didn't factor that in. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses next season.

I know there are issues with his throws, but how is his defense otherwise in terms of range, hands, etc.?

Here's my guess:

AAA - Thomas/Barney

AA - Samson/Castro

A+ - Flaherty (3B)/LeMahieu (2B)/Lee (SS)

A - Watkins/Lake

Are you thinking Vitters is going to get promoted to AA Tim even after his struggles at Daytona and now the injury? I would be a little surprised by that.

I hope they don't have Lee skip a level. Let him play SS at Peoria. Fit the other guys in around him.

I hope this as well, but mainly for selfish reasons. I want to see Lee play

And that all makes sense about his age. Guess I didn't factor that in. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses next season.

I know there are issues with his throws, but how is his defense otherwise in terms of range, hands, etc.?

I haven't actually seen him play so others would have more knowledge on this than me. But from what I've heard, he's had issues with his hands and handling routine ground balls. But that has been more of an issue of consistency and concentration more than a problem with his hands. From what I've heard about his tools, his range would be at least good if not very good for SS.

Guests

The scouting reports say great range, "solid" hands.

Only 12 AB so far, but two walks and zero k's would lead one to believe that he's not being overwhelmed at AA.

It's weird, at first I was going to say that he's had 2 times as many at bats against lefties as opposed to righties, and that that may be a reason for the early success. But then I checked his Daytona splits and he's actually hit righties .100 OPS points better than lefties.

So I hear alot Castro has alot of tools.

What kind of tools does he project to have?

Ive heard he has good range. So does he have good speed like he may steal a base here and there and have the range for SS? Or does he have great speed where he might project to 30+ steals and is an absolute burner.

Does he have a strong arm?

I heard he hasnt hit for much power yet. Does he have the tools for more power? Does he have quick hands? Does he have gap power at this stage? Or has he just been all base hits?

So I hear alot Castro has alot of tools.

What kind of tools does he project to have?

Ive heard he has good range. So does he have good speed like he may steal a base here and there and have the range for SS? Or does he have great speed where he might project to 30+ steals and is an absolute burner.

Does he have a strong arm?

I heard he hasnt hit for much power yet. Does he have the tools for more power? Does he have quick hands? Does he have gap power at this stage? Or has he just been all base hits?

http://cubsminors.wikispaces.com/castros

So, it appears as if Starlin Castro will finish this season as the Cubs 2nd or 3rd best prospect behind Vitters and possibly one other player. How does Starlin compare to other team's top 2 or 3 prospects. Will he be a top 31-60 prospect overall? Or at least a 61-90 prospect overall? Or are we just excited about him because our minor league system has been bereft of hitters for so long?

I think he's definitely top 100. Depending on HOW glowing the reports are at the end of the year, I think it's possible to see him at the edge of the top 50. Our system is improving for sure, we'll have at least 3 in the top 100, probably 4 with Jackson and an outside chance of more with either Carpenter or Lee..........