North Side Baseball

Jayson Stark on Trades

Remember the year the Cardinals got Scott Rolen. If I remember right they were basically out of contention. I think it would be pretty shrewd of the Cubs to trade for a Carl Crawford this season with a eye on him for the next couple of years. He is still only 25 putting up good #s and we probably could spare some young arms. To bad we already wasted a couple of good young arms on Pierrre

Remember the year the Cardinals got Scott Rolen. If I remember right they were basically out of contention. I think it would be pretty shrewd of the Cubs to trade for a Carl Crawford this season with a eye on him for the next couple of years. He is still only 25 putting up good #s and we probably could spare some young arms. To bad we already wasted a couple of good young arms on Pierrre

The Cardinals made the playoffs the year they traded for Rolen - they weren't out of contention.

Hendry would be more likely to go after Rocco Baldelli than Carl Crawford. He loves taking a risk on injury prone guys or guys coming off of injuries.

Remember the year the Cardinals got Scott Rolen.

i remember that all they gave up was polanco and bud smith ](*,)

Why must you cause me pain?

Mike Timlin was also in that deal too as I recall. Still a steal, but the Phillies let Timlin go.

Mike Timlin was also in that deal too as I recall. Still a steal, but the Phillies let Timlin go.

Phillies wanted Jon Lieber from us....who of course they eventually ended up getting through free agency....while we did NOT get Rolen. :evil:

Rolen was easily worth Lieber.

Phillies wanted Jon Lieber from us....who of course they eventually ended up getting through free agency....while we did NOT get Rolen. :evil:

Just another example of the Cubs not selling high when they had the opportunity. I liked Lieber, I think everybody did. Even if he didn't get hurt I think it was pretty apparent that he wasn't going to be a regular 20 game winner.

Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but starting pitchers the caliber of Lieber at the time were 100 times more abundant then 3B like Rolen.

I think it is also worth pointing out that even if the Cubs had traded Lieber + prospect for Rolen, there was no guarantee that the Cubs could have kept Rolen after that season. It was very well known early in Rolen's 6th year of service that St. Louis was going to make him a huge offer in free agency. Rolen was rumored to have turned down a 10 year $140M extension from the Phillies. Given the Cubs 3-year/4-year stance on contracts, I think there was a less than 5% chance that Rolen would be a Cub today.

I could have sworn that Rolen's top two choices were the Cubs and Cardinals.

Oh, I'm sure Rolen was sincerely considering the Cubs. I'm just speculating that there would have been very low probability of the two sides agreeing to a deal. Rolen ended up getting 8 years and $90M from St. Louis. My guess is the Cubs would have offered 4 years and $50M with a 5th year vesting option.