North Side Baseball

Ken Burns' Baseball 10th Inning

NCCubFan

Community Moderator
It was reported over a year ago that Ken Burns was working on 10th Inning to update his 1994 documentary (in fact, he said Baseball was his only documentary that he'd update). Now more information is known. It will air on PBS on Sept. 28 & 29 (four hours total). A DVD and Blu-Ray will be available a week later with an additional two hours of material.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for 2 hours about the Yankees of the late 90's and the Red Sox resurgence! It's gonna be SICK!

30 mins - late 90's Yankees

40 mins - Sox getting over the hump finally

10 mins - McGwire/Sosa

20 mins - Cal Ripken's record

20 mins - Miscellaneous stuff about roids and northeastern baseball clubs

I can't wait for 2 hours about the Yankees of the late 90's and the Red Sox resurgence! It's gonna be SICK!

10 mins - McGwire/Sosa

Yeah, I'm thinking it's going to be awful. I loved the original doc as a kid, I wonder if I'd still care for it now.

10 mins - McGwire/Sosa

You gotta fit 5 minutes about Bartman in there.

Community Moderator
I always got fooled into watching the 10th inning show as a kid, but it was nothing but commercials and 5 second segments of Harry reminding us what the score was.
It used to be a bit more than that back in the Jack Brickhouse era. There was always an interview on the show, just like there was back then on the Lead-Off Man show.

I always got fooled into watching the 10th inning show as a kid, but it was nothing but commercials and 5 second segments of Harry reminding us what the score was.
It used to be a bit more than that back in the Jack Brickhouse era. There was always an interview on the show, just like there was back then on the Lead-Off Man show.

And guests received a nice little watch for appearing.

YEAH! How stupid of Burns to spend most of the time on the biggest baseball stories of the last 15 years. What a [expletive] moron. He should spend more time on memorable winning teams like the Angels and theZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

YEAH! How stupid of Burns to spend most of the time on the biggest baseball stories of the last 15 years. What a [expletive] moron. He should spend more time on memorable winning teams like the Angels and theZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

fail

I'm sorry, but how can anyone honestly expect a baseball documentary about the last 15 years to not focus most of its time on the Yankees, Red Sox, the home run race, Cal Ripken and steroids? What the [expletive] else is going to merit significant time? Outside of the White Sox and how their winning the '05 WS can link back to the old timey [expletive] Burns gets a boner over, what else is there that merits little more than a passing mention at most?

I'm not complaining about him covering those things, but it's the amount of time he gives them. The way he completely ignored players and teams in the original series was sick. He'd waste half an hour off the entire series talking about the Polo Grounds being demolished but give a very interesting baseball personality like Rogers Hornsby a minute and a half. The 69 Cubs team wasn't even mentioned. There wasn't even a few moments talking about Wrigley Field either.

Also, I wonder what northeastern intellectual buddies of his he is going to use almost exclusively this time.

Outside of Cubs fans, though, why should the 1969 team be anything but a blip over the history of the game? They were hardly the first or last highly touted and impressive team that tanked. What is there to talk about with Wrigley outside of its very superficial reputation based on its appearance and age? What of significance has really occured there that merits it getting more than a passing mention at best? The Polo Grounds demolition was dwelled on because it was a big deal. If Wrigley was demolished it would get the same attention, and it would finally merit actually being talked about outside of "that's a nice place to see a game" and "boy, this place is old."

What is there to talk about with Wrigley outside of its very superficial reputation based on its appearance and age? What of significance has really occured there that merits it getting more than a passing mention at best? The Polo Grounds demolition was dwelled on because it was a big deal.

What was the big deal about a decrepit vacant dump being torn down for housing projects?

What is there to talk about with Wrigley outside of its very superficial reputation based on its appearance and age? What of significance has really occured there that merits it getting more than a passing mention at best? The Polo Grounds demolition was dwelled on because it was a big deal.

What was the big deal about a decrepit vacant dump being torn down for housing projects?

because it was in New York. durrr

I'm not complaining about him covering those things, but it's the amount of time he gives them. The way he completely ignored players and teams in the original series was sick. He'd waste half an hour off the entire series talking about the Polo Grounds being demolished but give a very interesting baseball personality like Rogers Hornsby a minute and a half. The 69 Cubs team wasn't even mentioned. There wasn't even a few moments talking about Wrigley Field either.

Also, I wonder what northeastern intellectual buddies of his he is going to use almost exclusively this time.

Doris Kearns Goodwin is still alive. Studs Terkel is dead (somehow he lived to 2008).

Doris Kearns Goodwin is still alive. Studs Terkel is dead (somehow he lived to 2008).

Stephen Jay Gould is dead I think.

because it was in New York. durrr

What would be the big deal if a crappy, overgrown stadium where nobody ever won anything was torn down in Chicago to make room for overpriced north side condos?

It's all in the dumb ass symbolism.

I heard Burns say himself on a Marlins broadcast that he was going to deal quite a bit in the 10th inning with how a small market team had to try and compete in the world of the big markets in baseball today. I would much rather see that than a whole two hours about the Yankees vs. Red Sox.