North Side Baseball

Grit and glory

Bruce Miles

Nice article, Bruce. Theriot's never been my favorite player. But I don't have anything personal against him.

This, though. Wow.

"That stuff is so subjective," he said. "It's so hard to grade a guy defensively, and there's really only one way to do it, and it's errors."

Interesting to see this in the sidebar article:

Around the Cubs clubhouse, author John Dewan's book, "The Fielding Bible," has been getting a lot of pass-around readership.

I wonder what the motive for the players is for this. I know many times they try to avoid too much of the statistical side not because they don't like it, but because they don't want any focus on that to affect them on the field. At the same time though, it can be hard to evaluate exactly what your weaknesses are on defense (as far as I know, position players don't look at videos of their defense nearly as much as their batting or opposing pitchers) and so their section could give them a fair objective opinion.

Then again, who knows. They often have very different perspectives about things than fans.

Around the Cubs clubhouse, author John Dewan's book, "The Fielding Bible," has been getting a lot of pass-around readership.

I wonder what the motive for the players is for this. I know many times they try to avoid too much of the statistical side not because they don't like it, but because they don't want any focus on that to affect them on the field. At the same time though, it can be hard to evaluate exactly what your weaknesses are on defense (as far as I know, position players don't look at videos of their defense nearly as much as their batting or opposing pitchers) and so their section could give them a fair objective opinion.

Then again, who knows. They often have very different perspectives about things than fans.

It looked to me like they were genuinely curious. They also seemed to think the book was fair to them. You're right, players have a different take on things than fans. That's probably why Theriot made his comment about errors. Pitchers, such as Maddux, talked about wins. That's their perspective.

It's tomorrow's feature posted online today.
Like Early Edition, except it's not delivered by a cat. :D

Maybe they can bring that show back, only with the cat bringing in the Daily Herald.

Considering it's now the only major paper in the city not in bankruptcy, that might well be the case if they bring that show back.

It looked to me like they were genuinely curious. They also seemed to think the book was fair to them. You're right, players have a different take on things than fans. That's probably why Theriot made his comment about errors. Pitchers, such as Maddux, talked about wins. That's their perspective.

After reading what they said about Theriot I can see why the players would like it. He goes out of his way to not say anything really bad about Theriot.

His arm is an asset when turning 2 or completing a difficult play

On the other hand he has poor range to the hole and his weak arm keeps him from making plays there. I suppose that would be true of a lot of SS. but it still seems like he's sugarcoating Theriot's defensive flaws.

After reading what they said about Theriot I can see why the players would like it. He goes out of his way to not say anything really bad about Theriot.

His arm is an asset when turning 2 or completing a difficult play

On the other hand he has poor range to the hole and his weak arm keeps him from making plays there. I suppose that would be true of a lot of SS. but it still seems like he's sugarcoating Theriot's defensive flaws.

His arm is definitely an asset when turning 2. Just think about how hard it would be for him to turn 2 if he had no right arm.

Theriots the type of player who will never win over some people because he'll never be a big OPS guy, but the fact is, your not going to have .800-.900 OPSers all through the lineup, so if you can get a .300+ hitter with an OPS in the .700s at the 8 or even 7 spot, its OK by me.

Theriot is far from a guarantee for a 300+ hitter with an OPS in the 700s.