North Side Baseball

July 3 ESPN Insider Article

Goodbye Wrigley?

Jul 3 - Relief pitcher Scott Williamson, infielder-outfielder Phil Nevin and infielder Todd Walker are the players who the Cubs will most likely deal by the July 31 nonwaiver trading deadline. There's also a chance the Cubs could move stater Greg Maddux and outfielder Juan Pierre to a contending team.

"I certainly feel we're capable of making some moves before the end of July," Cubs GM Jim Hendry told the Daily Herald. "With the situation we're in now, we certainly still feel like we've got a lot of quality people we can still build and turn it around quickly with.

"The people that may not factor in next year that may be able to help a club in a pennant race certainly could be available. Our intent would be to just try to make some logical trades and decisions based on moving forward toward '07, what we might be able to acquire or look into to make our club better for the next year."

Williamson, Nevin, Walker, Maddux and Pierre are all set to become free agents at the end of the 2006 season.

It's been said countless times, but I'll say it again: Todd Walker should not be traded for the sake of trading him.

I agree. Many teams are in the hunt for the playoffs and somebody has to need a good hitting second baseman and will pay a decent price for him but giving him away is foolish.

I'm alarmed by the absence of Jones on that list. He could be a very valuable piece right now.

I second this, but it would mean Hendry saying that he made a mistake with Jones's contract. I think he might be too proud for that.

I'm alarmed by the absence of Jones on that list. He could be a very valuable piece right now.

I second this, but it would mean Hendry saying that he made a mistake with Jones's contract. I think he might be too proud for that.

If Hendry thought Jones was just the best option in a bad bunch, then maybe he'd view it as an opportunity to trade up. But if he really believes what he said about Jones, then he's keeping him.

Can someone please remind me why we can't trade Walker? What happened to his power? It's not like we could use him for the stretch run or something like that. Trade him...start over. Trade Maddux...start over. Trade anyone (except DLee and Z and Aram)...

Why not? They suck anyway, maybe they'll get something in return that will surprise us all.

I'm as big a Walker fan on this board to be found, but not trading him would be stupid unless we decide to sign him to an extension. His contract is up at season's end at which point he will sign with another team and we get nothing. Getting something, regardless of what it is, is better than nothing so it makes the most sense to trade him.

Will I miss him? Yes.

Will it make the team worse? Probably

Will it make the team worse in 2007? Likely not.

Personally, if I were GM I'd offer Walker a 2 year deal at the same money he's making now and hope he accepts. Since I know management will just let him walk at season's end, I really hope we get something for him.

Can someone please remind me why we can't trade Walker? What happened to his power? It's not like we could use him for the stretch run or something like that. Trade him...start over. Trade Maddux...start over. Trade anyone (except DLee and Z and Aram)...

Why not? They suck anyway, maybe they'll get something in return that will surprise us all.

Why Ramirez? He is not exactly untouchable. I'm sure there are a lot of deals for him that the Cubs can benefit from.

If the deal is/seems right then I wouldn't hesitate. Personally, I'd rather see a team that is not afraid to make moves versus a team that stands idly by and watches other teams make moves to improve.

Its an interesting juxtaposition that we seem to be afraid to move anyone this year while we are the worst team in baseball, when we made the biggest splash in years in 2004 with the Nomar/Murton deal, and some big moves in 2003 when we got Ramirez, Lofton, and Simon.

I wouldn't really expect many moves at all, because once Hendry ships something off, the bullseye finds his back, and Hendry has proven that he will lay low if the heat is on. I would expect to trade Walker and maybe Nevin, because then you can't say he didn't do anything either.

Cubs Baseball: Helping ledge jumpers man up for almost 100 years.

I'm as big a Walker fan on this board to be found, but not trading him would be stupid unless we decide to sign him to an extension. His contract is up at season's end at which point he will sign with another team and we get nothing. Getting something, regardless of what it is, is better than nothing so it makes the most sense to trade him.

Will I miss him? Yes.

Personally, if I were GM I'd offer Walker a 2 year deal at the same money he's making now and hope he accepts. Since I know management will just let him walk at season's end, I really hope we get something for him.

i wonder if hendry will hold out for a draft pick instead of the prospect he'd get in a trade.

Will I miss him? Yes.

i wonder if hendry will hold out for a draft pick instead of the prospect he'd get in a trade.

I don't think Hendry would risk Walker accepting arbitration.

If you scroll down JJ is discussed later.

INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Jacque Jones

Cubs

Yankees?

Royals

Blue Jays?

Cardinals?

Pirates?

Cubs?

Right fit for Yankees?

Jun 21 - The New York Daily News reports that the Yankees have held internal discussions about if they should attempt to acquire Jacque Jones from the Cubs.

With Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui sidelined until at least September with wrist injuries, the Yanks could use help in both corner outfield positions.

Jones, the Cubs' regular right fielder, is in the first season of a three-year deal worth about $12 million.