I don't see the the steaming pile of crap. The Cubs have some young offensive players, but they are still lacking in studs. Theriot and Fontenot are nice utility bats, the type of cheap bats you should fill out your bench with, instead of going after guys like Macias and Neifi. But neither is likely to be anything worth writing home about as a starter. I think the future looks okay, but it still needs a good GM making great moves to make this an elite team, which is all I'll be satisfied with. As others have said, there is no stud offensive player in the system, unless Vitters changes that. Colvin is an okay prospect who probably projects better as a nice hitting CF as opposed to a great corner OF. I think that between Fontenot, Theriot, Patterson and Cedeno they can hold their own in the middle infield. But I'd like to see a really good one brought in to truly round out the lineup. Ramirez and Lee are good enough and young enough for the team to win with them here. Soriano can hopefully be an overall net positive for the next few years, because it's almost inevitable he'll be a drag sometime down the line. I think a guy like Soto can be a solid backup C for a few years at minimal cost, but with Blanco still signed and Barrett likely leaving via free agency, the position remains in question. Even if the new draftee comes on fast and strong, 2008 and 2009 are going to be iffy years behind the plate. Pie has looked good in spurts and had some great AAA numbers this year. But his overall body of work still leaves some doubt as to his ability to truly make a great impact in center. The young pitchers are doing well, but they need to keep producing guys because they go through arms rather quickly. Overall this team has some depth, what it lacks is true star potential. And they are still enduring black hole type production from SS (last place in NL for OPS - and no hope on the horizon) and RF (13th in the NL in OPS and no stars in the making).