Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CubinNY

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    27,840
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    24

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CubinNY

  1. lol, being the best player on earth is the counterpoint. Think of him this way. He’s a top 5 hitter in the league. Think of Harper. About $30M/year. At the same time, He’s a stop 5 pitcher. Think of Cole. About $36M/year. it’s a lot of money, but the Dodgers have signed the best pitcher and hitter on the market this year. Im ok as long as Jed gets the holes filled. I think Ohtani picked his team and then got them to give him what he wanted.
  2. How does this process work? Must he take the best offer or does he get to choose where he wants to go? if it’s best offer I want Jed to be the dude in the white suit who sets at the back of the auction and just nods every time another bid comes out.
  3. Here we go. Predictions?
  4. This is a bold move I can see them making. It checks off all their boxes for how they want to build a team. The only question is how much pain in terms of prospects. If they put the consensus top five in a box and remove them. Then include Wesneski, Wicks, Amaya, or Morel in some combination I think that would be great. I really don’t know how much interest they’d have in Beiber though.
  5. According to reports he didn’t meet with counsell or even visit the Cubs. Define try? They bought a measure of goodwill among the fan base. I guess that’s worth something.
  6. My thinking is the Cubs only pretend they were in this. I’m sure the interest was high, but the price was out of their philosophical, contractual, and financial possibility. Said another way, they aren’t going to make a bold move like that. On one level, who can blame them- no one else was either. But on another level, it does a disservice to them and Cubs fans to pretend that they were or are intent to make a franchise altering decision like this. Tom and his siblings have plan for maximizing profits and at the same time trying to put out a competitive team that is sustainably competitive. They hired a like minded guy to put that plan into effect. Why try to be an organization they are not? If I were a reporter in Chicago covering the Cubs, that’s the question I’d try to be answering.
  7. Bidding against themselves
  8. Madrigal cannot stay on the field. I’d rather someone other than the Cubs pay him to do anything.
  9. Jed: But MLB the Show would not let me go above $35 million per year. anyway, a lot of sour grapes in this thread as expected. The Dodgers were a great team, now they are greater? I don’t think so. also, anyone glad the Cubs didn’t sign him for what he signed for are saying that because they’ve been conditioned by the Ricketts past behavior. The Ricketts can well afford to pay that salary and then some. They bought the Cubs for $800M the Cubs are worth north of $4B, that is a 500% profit. baseball is an incredibly profitable business. Good on Ohtani.
  10. They trying to emulate the Dodgers, just not those Dodgers
  11. Twitter was bad before Musk, but he has incentivized this stuff with money.
  12. And we’re back to the silent hounds of the Baskervilles.
  13. Petition to change this thread title to Is Anybody going to sign Ohtani
  14. I can imagine whatever the Blue Jays equivalent of this board is being off the wall at the moment.
  15. Grant Brisbee is having a good time with this on Twitter.
  16. I doubt he's paying any attention to the media. We are getting the ride. He's at Nobu
  17. Coin flipping accuracy at nailing the bullseye is pretty good accuracy. It means you are around the target most of the time. I don't think it's realistic to expect them to get exact dollar figures correct. But honestly, I don't understand why people care what a guy makes. I want the Cubs to hit the bullseye in determining which guys to put together to win the most games. I don't care how much it costs, the individual costs, or who the players are for the most part. I want them to win. Edit: I mean it's fun to talk about in the abstract, but I'd be in favor of the Ricketts spending the most money to get the best players on a yearly basis. I don't care about value.
  18. it's too quiet not to be true is a niece piece of pretzel logic. The silent dog method of sussing this thing out.
  19. Multiple times. But he also seems to relish the challenge. The Blue Jays are a great fit for him.
  20. Bellinger makes sense if they think he's going to be better than PCA during the life of the contract. If they sign him, it makes PCA redundant and tradable. Although there are no guarantees, I think the Cubs see PCA as the better player with the added benefit of also costing less money. So, it's not really a let's get Belliner type of decision. It's a where do we have holes and how do we best fill them type of decision. I'm fine if they resign Bellinger and trade PCA, but I don't think that is what they will do.
  21. Yeah, I was looking for the “first time?” Meme.
  22. He’s value contracting them to mediocrity! Go Jed!
  23. It’s being a confidence man.
×
×
  • Create New...