North Side Baseball

Stephen Strasburg: All Star?

erik316wttn

ugh, all star debates are the worst.

yes, followed closely by hall of fame

agreed. i would prefer no one on the cubs ever make the all-star team. i don't watch the game, i'd rather the guys get the time off, and it makes the players marginally more expensive come contract time.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guests
Since it's rather apparent that the Cubs won't be in the World Series, I really don't care if Strasberg goes to the All Star Game. If in some weird circumstance the Cubs had an opportunity to get home field advantage in the World Series, damn straight I want Strasberg pitching. I might even want him to throw several innings. I'd probably still want him pitching in the all star game even if Washington still hadn't brought him up to the majors yet.

Community Moderator
ugh, all star debates are the worst.

yes, followed closely by hall of fame

agreed. i would prefer no one on the cubs ever make the all-star team. i don't watch the game, i'd rather the guys get the time off, and it makes the players marginally more expensive come contract time.

I hate all-star games...in any sport.

I can't believe we're just now getting to the all-star break...it feels like it's been a whole freaking season already.

You don't "have to put brennan boesch in there if you put strasburg in." that's stupid, position players are voted in, pitchers aren't. You're not really going to compare 50 flukey games by brennan boesch to what strasburg is doing, right?

You kind of proved my point.

I'm glad imb was able to prove your point, because you're not doing a very good job of it.

Old-Timey Member

it's called the all-star game. strasburg is a star, boesch isn't.

you're veering into colin cowherd territory (it's the hall of fame, not the "hall of very good") here

? that's a pretty baseless comparison.

ultimately, the all-star game is an exhibition game. it's primary purpose is so gather up the biggest stars in the game and put them on one stage for one night.

no, its primary purpose has always been to reward the players who had the best first halves. that's why you had tim wakefield, edwin jackson, aaron hill, ben zobrist, brandon inge, jason bartlett, nelson cruz, adam jones, hunter pence, brad hawpe, jason marquis, ryan franklin and heath bell on the all star teams last year. none of those guys are giant stars of the game. putting a guy like strasburg on the all star team would be completely out of place with what has been done in baseball pretty much forever.

Truffle pretty much made my point better than I did. I'm going to piggyback onto this.

"well i've got nothing where's a good post i can just quote and pretend that's what i meant ah here it is"

However, seeing as you can't debate with anyone without resorting to insults and immaturity, I'm done debating this with you.

"well i've got nothing where's a good post i can just quote and pretend that's what i meant ah here it is"

Yup

Old-Timey Member
However, seeing as you can't debate with anyone without resorting to insults and immaturity, I'm done debating this with you.

Yup

well if you're going to twist your panties up every time someone disagrees with you and is a little rude, what's the point of stating your opinions? Either make better points or just stop, because saying something dumb and then crying about a personal attack any time someone gets short with you is a little pointless

Recently, one of the hot topics I've seen debated has been whether or not Stephen Strasburg deserves to make the All-Star team. I think it could lead to some good discussion here. ESPN.com even has an article about it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5335648

My take? While Strasburg has been everything he's been advertised to be, I don't think he deserves the All-Star game this season only because he doesn't have enough appearances. Now, had he been with the Nats sometime in April or maybe even early May and put up these kind of numbers I'd have a different opinion. I'm sure he'll have many All-Star games under his belt by the time it's all said and done, but assuming he makes his next scheduled starts (as there's no reason to think otherwise), he'll only have seven appearances this year. Not nearly enough to be counted among the best in baseball this year, I think.

If Strasburg gets to go then Cashner should get to go as a RP. There really needs to be some kind of set in stone qualifications so the fans/media can stop this nonsense.

It is about selling the game, I don't think Wunderkind deserves it yet but through a marketing stand point baseball needs it

Verified Member

He didn't make it. This doesn't affect much of anything.

Barring injury or some kind of freak mental problem with pitch location ala Rick Ankiel, he'll be in plenty of All Star games to come.

I guess lots of people want to see the kid pitch because they don't get to see many (or any) Nationals games. I can understand that. For me, I ponied up the dough for MLBEI this year, so I just flip on the game to see him.

Good grief I hate Charlie Manuel.

"[strasburg] got quite a bit of consideration. I love watching the guy pitch. I haven't seen him live yet, he hasn't pitched against us, but at the same time I've been watching him. I don't have to tell anybody, he's got a great future. What's he got, like five starts or something in the major leagues? In my experience in the game. I think of the kid, leave him alone and let him pitch. He's going to be an All-Star for a long time, and I just felt like, there's other guys out there who've started anywhere from 18-20 games, and I felt, like I said, just kinda leave him alone, let him get broken in at the major league level and he'll take care of himself."

Omar Infante, Charlie. Omar Infante.

• 2 weeks later...