North Side Baseball

Pat Venditte, Ambidextrous Pitcher

Wilson A2000

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Pat-Venditte-throws-with-both-arms-in-appearance?urn=mlb,231182

I've always wondered when another would come along. In the minors, he faced a switch hitter and Venditte wanted to face him lefty/lefty, but the hitter kept switching. So did Venditte. It went back and forth before a pitch was thrown until the umps finally made the pitcher declare what way he was going to throw. Is it true that a hitter can switch during an at bat, but can't switch once he has two strikes and the pitcher has to declare before the batter steps in but can't switch in the middle of the at bat in major league baseball.

I was meaning to post a thread about this guy and you beat me to it.

And my understanding of the rule is that a pitcher can pitch with either hand, but it has to remain that way for the duration of the AB. The hitter also must pick a side of the plate and stay there for the AB.

I hope this guy does well, because I think it would be cool as hell to see him succeed.

If he was on any team other than the Yankees, the media wouldn't care.

/irrelevant contribution, I just wanted to mention that.

you give yourself too much credit. it's a media story no matter what team he's with.

Agreed, this was a story when he was in college. Was a story when drafted.

you give yourself too much credit. it's a media story no matter what team he's with.

Probably, but it doesn't get an ESPN feature if he's not with the Yankees or Red Sox, IMO.

Probably, but it doesn't get an ESPN feature if he's not with the Yankees or Red Sox, IMO.

It was pretty well publicized when Greg Harris pitched both left-handed and right-handed in the same game in 1995.

For the Expos.

This isn't a Yankees or East Coast bias thing.

The better story will be when his left arm makes the big league club and his right arm gets sent to the minors.

Having seen him pitch, he's much better from the right side and more gimmick from the left side.

I'll take your word for it. I gave him credit for his leftyness since a lefty is always so sought after at the big league level.

Guests

It was pretty well publicized when Greg Harris pitched both left-handed and right-handed in the same game in 1995.

For the Expos.

This isn't a Yankees or East Coast bias thing.

The AP ran a feature on him last year while he was still in college and before he was drafted.