North Side Baseball

Hanley Ramirez to the Red Sox?

Bill Madden of the New York Daily News reports the Red Sox are talking to the Marlins about reacquiring shortstop Hanley Ramirez.

Hard to believe. Ramirez is locked up through 2014 and recently finished second in the MVP balloting. There's no earthly reason Florida should be interested in moving the 25-year old unless Boston completely unloads their farm system. The Sox will have to look elsewhere for a shortstop upgrade.

Why aren't the Cubs ever linked to big names? I realize that we're not in a position to trade for a high priced player this offseason, but still.

...what, seriously? You're disappointed that the Cubs aren't mentioned in rumors about blockbuster deals that actually become something about 2% of the time?

Go anonymously tip someone off that the Cubs are "interested" in some big name; it'll be just about as valid as most of this stuff.

Boston has been linked to Halladay, Gonzalez and Ramirez this offseason. Why aren't the Cubs ever linked to big names? I realize that we're not in a position to trade for a high priced player this offseason, but still.

The Cubs have been linked to Halladay and Granderson, despite probably not being in a position to trade for a high priced player at this point. And they're in the conversation for big names all the time. What are you talking about?

Boston has been linked to Halladay, Gonzalez and Ramirez this offseason. Why aren't the Cubs ever linked to big names? I realize that we're not in a position to trade for a high priced player this offseason, but still.

Probably because Boston and New York actually acquire big names, whereas the Cubs twiddle their thumbs and end up with the second tier when all is said and done. If you are going to make up rumors about big deals, throwing Boston around makes it look valid. Putting the Cubs name in there makes it look silly.

oh man if the marlins put hanley on the market there would be a gang bang from pretty much every big-market team in baseball to get him.

let me think up some trade packages that might get it done:

boston: c. buchholz, c. kelly, j. iglesias, l. anderson, m. bowden

cubs: vitters, castro, j. jackson, marshall, gaub

yankees: montero, hughes, a. jackson, c. angelini, b. gardner

dodgers: c. billingsley, s. elbert, i. dejesus or d. gordon, c. withrow

oh man if the marlins put hanley on the market there would be a gang bang from pretty much every big-market team in baseball to get him.

let me think up some trade packages that might get it done:

boston: c. buchholz, c. kelly, j. iglesias, l. anderson, m. bowden

cubs: vitters, castro, j. jackson, marshall, gaub

yankees: montero, hughes, a. jackson, c. angelini, b. gardner

dodgers: c. billingsley, s. elbert, i. dejesus or d. gordon, c. withrow

Would a trade like that drain Boston's ML-ready prospects? I seem to remember hearing that most of their blue-chippers are in the lower levels of the system.