Media Predictions Thread

Banedon

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Community Moderator
Everyone on CBS Sports is picking the Cubs to win the division, with all but one of them picking them to win it all.

I couldn't help but notice the publucation date. Do you think they were being serious? :wink:

Old-Timey Member
Everyone on CBS Sports is picking the Cubs to win the division, with all but one of them picking them to win it all.

I couldn't help but notice the publucation date. Do you think they were being serious? :wink:

Yes. The Cubs have been the "trendy" pick for the media to take it all since 2003.

I think he was kidding.

Yes. The Cubs have been the "trendy" pick for the media to take it all since 2003.

I think he was kidding.

Im not questioning the poster, it just seems that every year since 2003, with the exception of 2006, The Cubs have been the pre season favorite to win it all.

I think he was kidding.

Im not questioning the poster, it just seems that every year since 2003, with the exception of 2006, The Cubs have been the pre season favorite to win it all.

I'm pretty sure they weren't the favorites in 2005 either, and I doubt they were the favorites in 2007.

Old-Timey Member
Oh, bull! You have to be an insider to view ESPN's predictions?! What a load of crap!

What I think you're looking at looks to just be BP's Pecota projected standings. I'm guessing ESPN will have their "experts" predicting who wins each division and such at some point.

I hope people understand how far the organization comes.

There was a time when 81-81 predictions were great. Times when a winning season was "magical."

Now, winning is expected. Playoffs are expected.

No doubt, the past two post seasons have sucked, but the fact that the Cubs are now odds on favorites -- year in and year out -- is special.

It's like what we all wished for when we saw the media love affair with the cardinals from 01 to 05 or so. . . . . it's something to be proud of.

We don't suck :) ha!

I hope people understand how far the organization comes.

There was a time when 81-81 predictions were great. Times when a winning season was "magical."

Now, winning is expected. Playoffs are expected.

No doubt, the past two post seasons have sucked, but the fact that the Cubs are now odds on favorites -- year in and year out -- is special.

It's like what we all wished for when we saw the media love affair with the cardinals from 01 to 05 or so. . . . . it's something to be proud of.

We don't suck :) ha!

Preach it, brother. :thumbsup:

am I the only one that has concern w/ the fact that it appears Hendry has painted this team into a corner needing to win in the next couple of yrs or go into full rebuild mode? The farm system appears to be dreadful w/ little to no high upside prospects or depth. I have always been a big fan of Hendry for his aggression, but has that strictly been a characteristic of "one w/ big checkbook"?

am I the only one that has concern w/ the fact that it appears Hendry has painted this team into a corner needing to win in the next couple of yrs or go into full rebuild mode? The farm system appears to be dreadful w/ little to no high upside prospects or depth. I have always been a big fan of Hendry for his aggression, but has that strictly been a characteristic of "one w/ big checkbook"?

I don't think we'll have to go into full rebuild mode unless management cuts payroll severely. However, this current group of Cubs probably has a window of only a couple of years to win. Otherwise, there will have to be a "reloading" or "rebuilding" period - whichever you prefer to call it.

Guests
it is possible to rebuild the farm without going through a major rebuilding process at the major league level. Boston has done a very good job of this over the past five years. I also don't agree that the major league team has the short window that many others seem to believe they have.

Here's ESPN's expert picks. There are 21 predictions overall and all but four are picking the Cubs to win the Central. The four who don't pick us (Matthew Berry, Chris Singleton, Peter Pascarelli and Eric Karabell) picked the Cardinals to win the division.

Jorge Arangure Jr., Rob Neyer and Gene Wojciechowski picked the Cubs to win it all.

it is possible to rebuild the farm without going through a major rebuilding process at the major league level. Boston has done a very good job of this over the past five years.

absolutely. it's probably easiest to do this in MLB (as opposed to the four other major sports), especially if you're a big market franchise, because you can outbid people for young international talent and also give large bonuses to guys to buy them away from their college commitment.

you do need good scouting and development, however, and the cubs seem to lack in these areas - at least compared to the red sox.

Here's ESPN's expert picks. There are 21 predictions overall and all but four are picking the Cubs to win the Central. The four who don't pick us (Matthew Berry, Chris Singleton, Peter Pascarelli and Eric Karabell) picked the Cardinals to win the division.

Jorge Arangure Jr., Rob Neyer and Gene Wojciechowski picked the Cubs to win it all.

Out of the 4 that picked the Cards to win the division, 2 had them losing in the WS and 1 had them winning it all. WTF?

:-k

Out of the 4 that picked the Cards to win the division, 2 had them losing in the WS and 1 had them winning it all. WTF?

:-k

I don't know where any of that is coming from.

By the way, this morning Mike and Mike gave their predictions for the season.

Greenberg picked the Cardinals to win the division and had the Cubs missing the playoffs (I think . . . he might have had them getting the WC) and Golic had the Cubs winning the division.