North Side Baseball

We talked about Jones briefly in another thread or two, but I think he deserves another go-around now that we're in July. There have been plenty of reports from national papers indicating the Braves are shopping him.

2 recent examples:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/4022654.html

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox03.html

He's still owed ~$6.5M in the second half of 2006, and $13.5M in 2007.

He will be 30 next year. His 2006 OPS of ~.850 is right at his career average.

Through a direct trade or 3-way deal, is it worth Hendry getting him?

Would it be a better investment than paying Carlos Lee 5 years nd $75M?

What would Atlanta require for him? What would be a fair set of Cub players/prospects?

Interested to hear what people think.

Interesting idea...setting aside the wonderful but crazy Cabrera/A-Rod/Jesus type theories, this one potentially could be far more do-able. Atlanta seems like an organization smart enough that if you give them enough young, cheap and good players this could be done. If the Cubs snag Jones that way and still can sign C-Lee in the off season without having to trade off anyone like Aramis, Barrett or even Jaque, that's a pretty potent offense. Edited by Sammy Sofa

Community Moderator

I don't know. I would definitely go after him if I were the Cubs. And I would definitely trade him if I were the Braves. I think Atlanta can get a GREAT prospect for him, based on his MVP 2005 and his defensive talent. I'd think they'd look for an OF prospect and at least 1 SP prospect.

As far as the Cubs are concerned, I think they would be looking at giving up Pie, Marshall and another pitching prospect....possibly a guy like Gallagher.

I think the Angels match up well. They need an OF and have prospects out the wazoo. I'm thinking Andruw and a pitching prospect for Santana, Aybar, and Rivera.

I hate to see how lazy a player like Jones would be playing for Baker. He could bring a lawn chair out to CF and have a beer and Baker would scream at Murton if a ball was hit over Jones head. Of course, Murton would be on the the bench at the time.

Hoops....do you think Jones could be a steroid guy? if he isn't I'd look into moving Pierre and others for him.

Walker

Murton/Good hitting left handed LF platoon dude

Lee

A.Jones

ARam

J.Jones

Barrett

Cedeno

I hate to see how lazy a player like Jones would be playing for Baker. He could bring a lawn chair out to CF and have a beer and Baker would scream at Murton if a ball was hit over Jones head. Of course, Murton would be on the the bench at the time.

Hoops....do you think Jones could be a steroid guy? if he isn't I'd look into moving Pierre and others for him.

Walker

Lee

A.Jones

ARam

J.Jones

Barrett

Cedeno

But why would Atlanta want 43? Even if we paid all of his salary for this year, I don't seem them taking him. Or are you thinking there would be a 3rd team involved?

My guess is Atlanta would ask for Pie. There's no way I trade Pie for Jones, but that's what I think Atlanta asks.

I could also see the Braves having interest in some pitchers like Marmol, Hill, Marshall, etc.

What's funny is that prior to last season, it was widely known the Braves wanted to rid themselves of Jones' contract and a deal of Patterson + prospects probably would have gotten it done.

Walker

Lee

A.Jones

ARam

J.Jones

Barrett

Cedeno

But why would Atlanta want 43? Even if we paid all of his salary for this year, I don't seem them taking him. Or are you thinking there would be a 3rd team involved?

To have a guy to replace Jones for the year. I agree with Vance he would just be part of it though.

Jones has two sore shoulders which hamper his power now.

Short for...I have to find an excuse for the steroids being taken away.

Why so quick to accuse?

Because Baseball doesn't test their stars IMO. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't ttrust these people and I'd hate for the Cubs to get a steroid wonder. Also, this guy almost had the same build as Sosa when he started and now he's filled out big time.

man i would love to see the cubs get andruw jones hes a glod glover and he puts up to 30 homeruns 100 rbis a year i guess thats a enough for me dont know about you and plus he would look good in the middle of that lineup

I'd take Renteria and his salary off their hands and give them Cedeno and Guzman or Hill. It makes sense if we're trying to win now. Stripping 10 mil salary for this year and over 20 next year for those two plus getting 2 very good prospects makes a lot of sense for Atlanta. I'd be flexible on the prospects to get the deal done too, if it took Pie too, fine. They can find other guys in free agency and address the positions they want with their money, or they can just play their young players and rebuild.

SS Renteria

2B Walker (if we have him back)

1B Lee

CF A. Jones

3B Ramirez

RF J. Jones

C Barrett

LF Murton

No. McCarthy is as close to untouchable as anyone in baseball with the Sox. Absolute stud.

If he's such a stud, why did Williams trade for Vazquez and block McCarthy from the starting rotation? Not only for this season but unless he moves one of his starting five, next year as well.

Phil Rogers has a comment in today's Tribune suggesting again that Kenny Williams should trade Garcia, Garland or Vazquez plus a prospect to Atlanta for Andruw Jones.

By the way, one other interesting point Rogers made regarding Andruw Jones: at some point in August, he will qualify for 10-5 rights.

Community Moderator
No. McCarthy is as close to untouchable as anyone in baseball with the Sox. Absolute stud.

If he's such a stud, why did Williams trade for Vazquez and block McCarthy from the starting rotation? Not only for this season but unless he moves one of his starting five, next year as well.

Phil Rogers has a comment in today's Tribune suggesting again that Kenny Williams should trade Garcia, Garland or Vazquez plus a prospect to Atlanta for Andruw Jones.

By the way, one other interesting point Rogers made regarding Andruw Jones: at some point in August, he will qualify for 10-5 rights.

Don't think that deal does much for the Braves. Why would they want a high salaried pitcher? My guess is the Braves would much rather have McCarthy and an offensive prospect or 2.

Atlanta could get much more from a contending team for Jones than from a team retooling for 2007 like we are.

The Yankees, White Sox, and Angels are 3 teams that are in races that Atlanta could hold hostage for Jones. I think Anaheim and the White Sox match up the best.

And FWIW, I agree with Vance that the Braves would ask for Pie, plus a couple of our pitchers.