Admittedly, I've spent very little time following baseball this season so I hadn't realized that the Dodgers are on pace to win 114 games. The Padres, who are 13 games over .500, are 19.5 games back in the division.
I could look very dumb about this, but I think we could see Willson's market fail to materialize. It only takes one team to fall in love or have money burn a hole in their pocket, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't beat Grandal(4/73) in years or dollars. It certainly seems like the lack of a trade market means the industry as a whole aren't super enthused with Contreras. I'd happily take him back if he falls to the 3/60 or 4/75 range.
Fun with numbers that mean basically nothing because of sample size, but since Franmil joined the Cubs 30 PA .367/.367/.733 line good for a .465 wOBA and 201 wRC+ It would help this team out so much if they cold turn him into something like a 130 wRC+ DH. Last I saw the league average for a DH was 107 wRC+.
I'd say that those lost pitchers were nearly mitigated by having Steele and Thompson pitch way above any realistic expectations. Add in 53.1 innings of 3.88 ERA from a guy who was supposed to be a AAA wash out in Sampson and if anything I'd say they've gotten pretty lucky
How could using a using a deceased celebrity's likeness for profit possibly be construed as offensive? In fact, I think the hologram should wear a Budweiser shirt too for a little extra ad revenue. Then we'll bring in Ron and Ernie to sing the 7th inning stretch presented by Wintrust.
I just thought I'd revisit this treasure. He's putting up a .237/.274/.374 line good for a 72 wRC+ on the season and a 39 wRC+ since this tweet on June 29th . Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't the Cubs and you just aren't very good.
I don't know that he'll get much hype. For guys who provide 90+% of their value via the bat, they have to absolutely destroy the league to gain any real notoriety and even then it's the guys with a real plus tool as well.
If Mooney gets hurt, this could legitimately be a historically awful WR squad. Exactly what you'd want when you're seeing if you have a franchise quarterback or not.