Jump to content
North Side Baseball

jersey cubs fan

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    68,112
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    64

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by jersey cubs fan

  1. While I have done that if I have a conflict prior to the start of the game, I would never do that by choice. It sucks for watching football. Although it works great for baseball. You can watch any game on 2-3 times speed and just hit play whenever you think you see something interesting happen. It also works with hockey. Football is the only sport where I see it working. It's like the skip ahead 30 seconds button was created just for that. Can catch an entire game in a half hour that way. Only if you have an offense using the whole clock. You have to hit the button right after the play ends and hope they aren't hurrying up. Then you also have the red zone option which you can turn to from time to time during your game. I'd rather use the back button to toggle between the Bears and everybody else between plays than bother with fast forwarding. But the big point is football is played at only a select few times during the week so it's easy, and enjoyable to watch them all. Baseball is played everyday and it's easy to miss games. Put a baseball game on fast forward and just hit play whenever you see movement on the little diamond thingy, it rewinds to just prior to that play and you can see it. Hockey does the same thing. I've done that at night many times after watching something with the wife.
  2. If ownership/business people are pushing for a name manager to push the brand this winter, and even if it's among the most expensive managers in the game, the actual cost is still much less than a run-of-the-mill player. They could pay somebody $5m to manage and tell the world they are serious about winning, and take it out of the Scott Baker portion of the budget. The public at large and media is going to applaud such a move. What doesn't make sense is Theo trying to trade prospects for a manager. The Cubs have a long history of doing something to drive fan interest prior to the convention and/or the date of February ticket sales. The past two years they have bypassed that process and I would not be surprised at all if the business side was pushing hard for a renewed attempt to gain fan interest over the winter. The easiest way is to sign a big name free agent, but that is expensive. Signing a name manager to a big contract sends a similar message, but at a much less expensive price point.
  3. While I have done that if I have a conflict prior to the start of the game, I would never do that by choice. It sucks for watching football. Although it works great for baseball. You can watch any game on 2-3 times speed and just hit play whenever you think you see something interesting happen. It also works with hockey.
  4. Pretty bold stance to take, 5 games into the season. I've seen a lot of proclamations about exactly how good certain teams are this year and I don't really remember hearing that stuff this early before.
  5. Pretty much what I figured if there was any truth to the Rays listening. If this is ownership talking I hope Theo is just saying, "see, it would not be worth it."
  6. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SAY NO TO THIS GUY HOLY [expletive] WHAT A MAN Looks Dothraki. Does he have bells in his hair?
  7. Yeah, forget the stupid Playoff Series That Shall Not Be Named. The real hurt is how amazingly horrifying the last decade has been when *everything* seemed to be pointing up. Some of it was bad management, but a lot of it has been flat-out bad luck. Most of it was bad management.
  8. The conversation isn't about winning game 5 in Atlanta.
  9. And here I thought all this reminiscing by CSN and other sites was a poorly planned gimmick but it turns out all you weirdos justify it by reading and watching this stuff.
  10. Not sure why you felt compelled to make that idiotic statement but you know nothing about Philly market. The phillies were nothing ten years ago. They were the white sox. Nobody cared. I went to cubs games every year and it was an easy cheap ticket. That era is gone. They won a generation of fans to the cause with the stadium/sustained success/championships. It's been a remarkable business success.
  11. Because a draft isn't run by one man a few weeks leading up to the draft. It's a collaborative effort in which the GM is like director and starts as early as August of the year prior. I know all of our draft prep starts around the time of the combine but not an NFL scouting department. I just don't think you can discount the relatively short time frame Emery or must GMs have from the time of being hired to the draft with all the other aspects of running a team. Plus add in the fact if a GM uses a different scouting/grading/language system. Which Emery did/does and implemented after the first draft. So properly managing a draft is as much about your management of your team of employees as it is about scouting ability (not to discount scouting because it's still really important, especially being the guy at top with the final word). And anyone who claims to run the show alone is a lying blowhard, sucks at drafting, Bill Bellicheck, or some combination of the three. None of that excuses a horrible pick. This isn't rocket scientist. That same mistake can be made in year 4 as easily as year 1.
  12. I don't get the "it was his first draft" point that is trying to be made. This was not his first rodeo. He knew what drafts were all about and had been involved in many, and he knew the class. It doesn't matter if it was his 1st or his 5th. Angelo made some of his worst picks later in his tenure.
  13. What rule? 5 year deals for guys over 30? More specifically, that 5 year, 9 figure deals for 32 year old pitchers are a bad idea. It would be nice to avoid committing to such things if you don't have to, but there are lot worse ideas out there in baseball.
  14. It wouldn't be a lie. Like I initially stated, I would love it if all along they've been working out some back-room deals with Rosemont (or any place that would be feasible, for that matter). Then go public when they're ready to knock Tunney and the rooftop owners on their collective behinds with the news the team is moving. Again, it's a pipe dream. But the idea of them abandoning Wrigley Field doesn't bother me in the least. Considering that it would mean several more years of costs going to things other than the product on the field, it would bother me.
  15. He had that one real nice play, and was the only guy who could bring down Jacobs on another run.
  16. Old Yankee stadium pretty much stunk, but it was the house that ruth built (then got completely redone in the ugly 1970s utilitarian style that isn't useful) so people loved it. New Yankee stadium is just a more bloated version of that place, that doesn't have as much grime. There is nothing interesting about it. It is not enjoyable to walk around. And that awful moat thing is really horrible looking. It's really bad for the average fan. There is no air circulatin and it feels like you are sitting far away from the game. All the advertising is an assault on the eyes. I honestly don't know what they were thinking Maximize revenues and cater to the 1%. It works I assume for those purposes, but it sucks.
  17. What rule? 5 year deals for guys over 30?
  18. Old Yankee stadium pretty much stunk, but it was the house that ruth built (then got completely redone in the ugly 1970s utilitarian style that isn't useful) so people loved it. New Yankee stadium is just a more bloated version of that place, that doesn't have as much grime. There is nothing interesting about it. It is not enjoyable to walk around. And that awful moat thing is really horrible looking.
  19. It's back to back games. I think that's all it is. It's also Khabi's first chance to play this season.
  20. It sure as hell worked really nicely for a while there. 9 straight winning seasons. They went from an organization with a fan base that did not give a crap about them, to an attendance juggernaut. They made it to the LCS three straight years and the WS two years in a row. It absolutely worked. Even in a bad season they had 3 million attendance and you can't walk 5 feet in that market without somebody wearing Phillies gear. Granted, it's a little heavy on the middle aged chubby women in love with Chase Utley side, but that was never the case before.
  21. Yeah that one was bad. The thing that killed me in that game was when the Bears were at the 1 yard line, Cutler jumped over the pile and extended the ball just over the goal line before being stripped and losing the fumble. Inexplicably Lovie didn't challenge despite it clearly crossing the line before the fumble. I think he had an idiotic low reward challenge in the game that really magnified his challenging ability. Edit: Oh yeah that's what it was. The play before the goal line fumble was a 48 yard pass to Earl Bennett. I believe he stepped out at the 1 yard line and it was clear that he was out of bounds. Lovie challenged it, was denied, and then the goal line fumble happened, and Lovie didn't challenge, even though he still had one left. Bears end up losing by 3. Yep. I remember the situation being a challenge that either left them 1st/goal from the 1 or a TD, and then he didn't challenge a play that resulted in either a TD or the other team now has the ball. So dumb.
  22. Three division championships and a pennant? God forbid. You really think that those were the expectations of the fanbase/ownership/management? I sure as hell don't, and that window is now cemented shut. And will open right back up in a year or two if they continue to willingly spend money.
  23. You were inspired by the new Yankee Stadium? That place is an abomination. Could you expand on that thought, because I think it is pretty awesome. It is an awful, terrible, horrible, hideous, ugly stadium. It's brutal. It's essentially a museum with expensive beer. Other than getting free tickets to good seats I don't know anybody that likes it.
  24. http://www.argusleader.com/article/20131011/NEWS/310110023/Live-10-30-Update-2-year-old-boy-s-abuse-case?nclick_check=1 There was a story on this site yesterday about Adrian Peterson being in a bar there after being excused by the team, that gave no indication for the reason. The link is now dead.
×
×
  • Create New...