Jump to content
North Side Baseball

jersey cubs fan

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    68,112
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    64

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by jersey cubs fan

  1. Are there still weirdos who think the sale structure nonsense is true?
  2. Every? No, but I very much like the idea with certain situations. One of those situations is when you've already let your payroll plummet to ridiculously low levels, have nothing else to spend it on and are in desperate need of exactly the type of player that is available if such a clause is given.
  3. You're getting four years of upside if things work out and seven years of downside if they go sideways. You don't see a problem? You're getting seven years of downside if things go sideways regardless. You just said one post up that you don't like going 7 years for pitchers, well there you go, you managed to get him signed to a 4 year deal assuming he doesn't get injured. Send him on his way and let his elbow explode for somebody else. I'm not sure I understand your POV here. Would you be in favor of giving player options in every contract? I can understand if you're saying we should have signed him regardless. But you seem to be saying that giving the player an opt out makes it a BETTER contract. How do you interpret it that way? The point is you offer the contract necessary to sign the guy, because you can, and because you need the player. It's not that big of a deal to give him a 4-year opt out. If he does opt out, odds are that you're going to be extremely happy about what happened in the meantime. Maybe in year 5 you won't need the player as much as you need him now. You can deal with that issue when the time comes.
  4. If any other player charged the mound after a teammate got beaned in a Venezuelan League game, would anybody make note?
  5. Impossible. The Cubs are DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEEEDDDDDDD because they didn't spent 160 million on someone who has never pitched in the Major Leagues and has built up a lot of innings playing in Japan. Good point, since this was the only quality free agent the Cubs have missed out on and they have otherwise done a marvelous job building a competitive team every year.
  6. i'd put our big 4 up against any other in baseball, especially regarding power potential in a league that lacks it. That's all well and good but does not address the point you quoted.
  7. So just, random collection of names associated with the position?
  8. Bummer for you jersey. I kind-of think it is getting more interesting because the top guys were so well covered that there is a bit of a consensus. I really like getting opinions on the guys...oh lets say from 10-30 because those are the ones I haven't heard as much about and for me (not being a scout or wannabe scout) this is how I form my opinions on the rest of the guys in the system. What can I say, guess I need a real life. :roll: It just seems to me that every guy at this point has a, "well, that's nice but he's 25" or "he's been good but his stuff is unimpressive", or "he's got some upside but has not done anything yet", or "but he's probably still injured/handicapped/dying". There's not a guy on the list that I think has to be voted here.
  9. For all the depth in this organization, this is when the interestingness of these guys plummets for me.
  10. I mean, yeah...but meh. I'm not gonna be upset if they take him or anything but I'm just not so overwhelmingly enthused about that profile that I'd strongly favor it over drafting a pitcher. My interpretation as well. I am almost always going to side with the elite college bat, but at least at the outset, that doesn't seem to be the case here.
  11. To think that veteran FA pitchers give two shits about the rankings of 20 year prospects is a bit of a stretch. Baseball veterans hate young players. They aren't putting their future in the hands of kids.
  12. I don't think promoting the culture of winning is as important as avoiding a culture of losing. It can't be good for player development when the team obviously tanks.
  13. Or it feels like a play on the "well, it's called the 'THEORY' of evolution"-argument. Just because some people act like it's set in stone doesn't negate it's value or mean that the people that use it correctly don't understand that it's not perfect. Not at all like that. The problem with war is it's attempt to quantify defense and baserunning. Hitting and pitching stats work because of what they measure, one on one matchups. Football stats don't work because of what it attempts to measure, and the same is true for defense in baseball.
  14. Not impossible. Heck, not impossible now. I'll take the under.
  15. Nothing interesting
  16. Whoever voted dunston must hate this system.
  17. For one, it is hard to negotiate with one entity if you have no other fallback. Second, WGN falls under tribune broadcasting which is a very big entity with all sorts of networks and reason to want to be a part of the sports biz. Although I have no idea if they do actually that interest.
  18. Sorry, but this just goes back to the point that if you spend a few years with the only mandate being to acquire prospects, it is not an accomplishment when you actually acquire prospects. The better run organizations don't run on a single, prospects only, mandate where results in the major league do not matter. This thread may be about prospects in the news and be located in the minor league forum but it still falls under a Chicago Cubs website.
  19. And another 3 or 4 may owe some of their standing to Epstein/Hoyer player development despite not being drafted or signed by them. sure, why not.
  20. The same reason the Trib wanted to field a good team while in the process of selling the team. It's a lot easier to sell a television product when lots of people are actually watching it than to make up numbers that ask you to ignore the last few years when nobody watching but assume they will watch again.
  21. Well yeah, that's the one name I recognize, but I don't follow other teams enough to know who these other guys are or where they came from That Shoop was the head coach at Columbia, and they sucked. Gattis played for the Bears at one point.
  22. If this deal sucked and Kenney negotiated it why would Ricketts keep him, promote him and sign him to an extension?
×
×
  • Create New...