Jump to content
North Side Baseball

jersey cubs fan

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    68,110
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    64

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by jersey cubs fan

  1. Cj Edwards ‏@CEdwardsSBS · 6m6 minutes ago Stephen A Smith gets in my nerves
  2. Last year Price, Moore, and Smyly(along with several relievers) all made extensive use of a cutter. Both Price and Smyly threw it more with the Rays than with the Tigers. I was going to say Price for sure threw it a bunch. Before he got traded, I think I saw him K 9 Pirates using primarily his cutter to RH hitters. Nice to have some facts with it. Not that I can imagine he'd interfere with the pitching coach (assuming its still Bosio) with the guys already throwing it (Arrieta). It seems like he doesn't want guys who are doing just fine with their regular stuff adding a cutter, but that wouldn't stop him from having a pitching coach introduce a cutter to a guy who has been less effective without it.
  3. They don't bother me that much. I think it's clear that they are currently not a top 4 team. How is it clear? Because they don't play 60 great minutes every week? They still have the best player in college football, loads on NFL talent, and haven't lost a game in like 2 years. They aren't in the SEC.
  4. Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi · 13m13 minutes ago Cubs and Joe Maddon continue to make progress on a deal, sources say. Agreement not official yet but moving in that direction. @FOXSports
  5. You round first hard regardless of whether that is a single or not.
  6. Maddon was twitter verified today.
  7. That's fair. Tough to sell a sport, though, without a title of some sort. Even in the "poll" days, people were obsessed with crowning a mythical champion. The growth of revenue in college football can be almost directly correlated to 3 things: 1. Football's overall popularity 2. Growth in the % of people going to college 3. Rise of the Bowl Alliance/Bowl Coalition/BCS/Playoff (this is why it will eventually be 8 or 12 or 16 teams) I would like the whole thing to figure itself out by the lower conferences (MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, CUSA, AAC) to just form their own division, have the power 5 add a few teams that belong in those groups (ND, maybe BYU, Boise, a few others--UCONN maybe, ECU maybe), then have an 8 team playoff. I highly doubt that ever happens, though, because of all of the backroom dealing and general awfulness of college sports. The strength of college football is tied to television distribution of regular season games, as everybody is obsessed with winning their conference and beating their rival. They've never had a postseason tourney yet the game has stacked up favorably to all sorts of other ones that do have that tourney and do rely on the need to crown a postseason champ. They playoff is just another product to sell, it's not vital to the concept of college football.
  8. I would argue that there isn't a need to determine the best team and no postseason tourney is capable of doing that anyway.
  9. doesn't help that they are talking like they are at a funeral I turned it off at that point. What the hell was with the hushed tones? Erin Andrews seemed like she didn't want to wake a baby.
  10. Every NFL coach will want to bring in his own coordinators. That makes complete sense. Unlike Trestman though, Arians has ties to some actual good defensive minds. Trestman also wasn't an in demand NFL coach.
  11. Kaplan denies widely rumored move is 'official' or 'done. Meanwhile, sun sets in west. Bruce Miles ‏@BruceMiles2112 · 9m9 minutes ago #Cubs say no deal yet with Maddon Bruce Miles ‏@BruceMiles2112 · 7m7 minutes ago Other sources outside #Cubs say they've not heard Maddon deal is done -- yet.
  12. He's had Wrigley Field on his twitter bio this whole time...
  13. Patrick Mooney ‏@CSNMooney · 1h1 hour ago #Cubs say 4 players cleared waivers, reducing 40-man roster to 37: Vitters, Kalish, Valaika assigned outright to Iowa. J. McDonald's a FA.
  14. How is an 8 team playoff "too many games" for the FBS schools, but not the FCS schools? 8 team playoff would mean 3 postseason games in addition to the conference championship game which would be a 16 game season for 2 teams. Last year ND State played 15 en route to winning FCS and I think a lot of people would agree that is too many games for college players except for the fact that nobody knows about or cares about North Dakota or its inhabitants.
  15. Every NFL coach will want to bring in his own coordinators. That makes complete sense.
  16. No. Basing your interest on the Q rating of a manager is terribly misguided. You haven't had much interest because the team has sucked and that is because they haven't had enough good baseball players. They need a lot more good baseball players. A celebrity manager won't change that.
  17. Literally every other major American sport has an overly inclusive playoff system. We can't just have one that isn't? They would never go past 8 because of the additional number of games and all that. If you don't think an 8 team College Football playoff wouldn't be fun as hell to watch, then you're a communist and hate puppies. In pretty much every sport out there I lose interest long before the championship game unless my team is involved, or maybe if an interesting game 7 type situations arises. I love this part of college football season, get rejuvenated right around the Jan 1 games but completely check out before the championship game. I find March Madness entertaining on the first weekend, tolerable on the 2nd and boring as hell at the end. I watch the beginning of MLB playoffs and that's it. A prolonged college playoff would be very boring to me.
  18. If that is the biggest move of the offseason this is going to be a hell of a depressing offseason. I disagree. Maddon is a move that will pay off in a big way long term. I'm willing to accept him as the biggest move. that's just a crazily silly idea
  19. If that is the biggest move of the offseason this is going to be a hell of a depressing offseason.
  20. Unless you count the leadership of Trestman and Emery.
  21. or you could dial back the the crazy
  22. It sure as hell looked to me like he advocated small ball and questioned the take-and-rake "get the pitcher out early" method we've been building on. And I think he might be right. I don't really think these guys have built a take and rake get the pitcher out early method. Their very first draft pick was absolutely nothing like that. The closest thing they have to such a player is Bryant, and he was a no brainer best college bat pick they had to take, rather than some specific type they targeted. I also don't buy the simple "bullpens are now so amazing" storyline espoused earlier.
  23. The roster has enough talent. But I agree with the need for speed. How do you figure they have enough talent? The depth is awful at the LB/WR/TE/S positions and some of the players are old and done. A lack of young talent. That is compounding the horrible coaching issues. Angelos drafting combined with Emery's first draft and bad contracts handed out this offseason are heavily affecting this team. I do like Phil Emery, but his offseason moves (aside from Willie Young) and coaching hire look bad. I would argue that simply drafting Chandler Jones and having 1 of the 3rd/4th/5th round picks sticking in the first draft could of had an impact on this team. I don't know if I should be irritated about that [expletive] press conference yesterday or understanding about the fact that they're going to preach patience and positivity. I would of liked to have heard some stern words and some accountability for the players. I'm not sure what sort of verbage would have successfully expressed that message. It's the NFL, they can all be cut tomorrow. Accountability isn't a huge issue. Sucking is the problem.
  24. Not to me. I read your take first and expected to see a different article than what I ended up reading.
×
×
  • Create New...