1B B. LaHair 1/5, R, 2 K

2B B. Scales 1/4, BB, 2B (19), K

C C. Robinson 1/5, RBI, K

SP M. Atkins 7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 5/1 K/BB, HBP, 7-8 GO-FO

RP B. Parker 2 scoreless, 1 H, 4-2 GO-FO

Tennessee won 7-6 Box Score

CF T. Campana 1/3, 2 BB, 2 R, SB (24)

2B T. Thomas 1/4, BB, R, RBI, 2B (14), 2 K

3B R. Canzler 0/3, BB, R, 2 K, E (7, fielding)

RF M. Spencer 2/4, R, 3 RBI, HR (8), K, E (1, fielding)

LF B. Guyer 1/4, Assist (Home)

SS M. Gonzalez 1/4, RBI, K, E (10, fielding)

PH T. Wright 0/1, K

PH S. Clevenger 0/1

SP HW Chen 6 IP, 9 H, 6 ER, 2/2 K/BB, 2 HR, 8-5 GO-FO

RP J. Muyco 2 scoreless, 1 H, 2-4 GO-FO

RP L. Sommer 1 scoreless, 1 H, 3-0 GO-FO

Daytona won 8-6 Box Score

CF B. Jackson 3/3, BB, 3 R, 3 2B (19), CS (7), HBP

SS DJ LeMahieu 3/3, 3 RBI, E (8, fielding)

3B R. Flaherty 1/5, 2 RBI, 2B (18), K, E (11, throw)

1B R. Ridling 0/4, BB, R, K, E (2, fielding)

RF K. Burke 0/4, BB, R

C M. Brenly 1/3, K

SP C. Rusin 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 6/1 K/BB, 5-2 GO-FO

RP M. Perconte 2 scoreless, 1 H, 2/1 K/BB, 2-2 GO-FO

RP J. Leverton .1 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 0/2 K/BB, HR, 1-0 GO-FO

RP A. Shafer 1.2 scoreless, 1 H, 1/0 K/BB, 1-1 GO-FO

Peoria lost 5-0 Box Score

SS HJ Lee 0/3, BB, K

CF L. Watkins 0/3, BB, K

DH G. Rohan 2/3, BB, K

1B J. Bour 1/4

LF DJ Fitzgerald 0/3, K, Assist (3B)

2B M. Cerda 0/3, K

RF N. Perez 0/3, K

3B C. Thomas 0/0, E (4, fielding)

3B J. Mota 0/3, K

SP SM Jung 5 scoreless, 6 H, 1/0 K/BB, 7-3 GO-FO

RP R. Morla 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2/2 K/BB, 1-0 GO-FO

RP L. Suarez 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1/0 K/BB, 1-3 GO-FO

Boise lost 9-1 Box Score

2B A. Alcantara 0/4

LF J. Morelli 0/4

1B B. May 1/3, BB

DH C. Huseby 0/3, 3 K

PH/DH R. Jones 0/1, K

RF R. Davis 1/4, R, RBI, HR (1), K

SS W. Darvill 1/4, K

CF KM Na 2/4, K

SP A. Kirk 3 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 3/1 K/BB, HR, 5-0 GO-FO

RP R. Carmona 2 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 3/1 K/BB, HR, WP, 1-2 GO-FO

AZL Cubs with an off day

DSL Cubs 1 lost 11-6 Box Score

CF O. Zapata 2/5, R, K

SS G. Amaya 2/4, 2 R, 3B (3), K, E (7, fielding)

1B G. Jimenez 1/4, RBI, 2 K

2B J. Rodriguez 0/4, R, K

RP L. Villalba 1.1 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 2/3 K/BB, WP, HBP, 2-0 GO-FO

DSL Cubs 2 lost 6-2 Box Score

SS M. Hernandez 1/5, E (7, fielding)

PH D. Arcila 1/1

OVERALL: 3-4

Guests
Idaho Press-Tribune[/url]"]Fleita said three more players from the Cubs’ 2010 draft will join the Hawks in Eugene today. Right-handers Eric Jokisch and Aaron Kurcz and second baseman Pierre LePage, who all recently signed with Chicago. Kurcz was drafted in the 10th round out of College of Southern Nevada. Jokisch was an 11th-round draft pick out of Northwestern, and LePage was a 13th-rounder out of Connecticut. ... The Cubs’ No. 1 pick, Hayden Simpson, has not arrived in Mesa, Ariz., as expected. Fleita said the right-handed pitcher out of Southern Arkansas is getting over an illness before he travels from Arkansas to Chicago’s spring training complex in Mesa.

Guests

Brett Jackson is 3/3 with 3 doubles thus far. And another HBP.

Chris Rusin - 5 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 5-2 GO-FO

Su-Min Jung - 5 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9-3 GO-FO.

Guests
Brett Jackson is 3/3 with 3 doubles thus far. And another HBP.

Chris Rusin - 5 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 5-2 GO-FO

Su-Min Jung - 5 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9-3 GO-FO.

Move Brett Jackson up to AA sometime soon?

Bruce Miles has hinted that it's coming soon.

I hope Brett takes Ryan Flaherty, Chris Archer and Chris Rusin with him when he goes.

Brett Jackson has added a walk to his night.

for some reason brett jackson is playing for daytona and josh vitters is playing at tennessee, even though jackson is definitely a more polished prospect and is older. jackson is an exciting prospect, though, and i'm looking forward to seeing how he does at tennessee.

for some reason brett jackson is playing for daytona and josh vitters is playing at tennessee, even though jackson is definitely a more polished prospect and is older. jackson is an exciting prospect, though, and i'm looking forward to seeing how he does at tennessee.

I think the reason is that we have a few decent outfield prospects, but not many 3B prospects. Marquez Smith is the only other I can think of, and hes not particularly good. Tony Campana is doing well in Tenn, but I really dont see him as a guy who will be blocking Brett. And why the hell was Vitters benched after having his best game in ages?

ETA that Marquz has been pretty good since being brought back to Iowa after his short demotion.

Edited by Little Slide Rooter

Guests
It wouldn't surprise me at all to actually see Campana moved to AAA to accomodate Brett's move to AA, when it happens.

Ty Wright is more deserving of a bump to AAA, I think.

Guests

The Boise Hawks are depressing.

6 guys in today's starting lineup with at batting average below the Mendoza line as we speak. Austin Kirk's ERA above 10 now.

I agree. Scouts have questioned whether he'll be able to continue to draw so many walks as he moves up to higher levels, so it will be interesting to see whether he can prove them wrong.

Community Moderator

I agree. Scouts have questioned whether he'll be able to continue to draw so many walks as he moves up to higher levels, so it will be interesting to see whether he can prove them wrong.

I don't know why that would change much as he advances. Patience is the one thing that usually translates pretty well to the majors.

Just out of curiosity, is Russ Canzler anyone worth tracking? He was a 2004 pick, but is only 24 years old. In Tenn this year, hes hitting .310/.393./566 with 9 HR. He plays 1st and 3rd.

A few more guys who should be in line for promotions sooner than later

Robinson Chirinos: .320/.399/.556 7HR. The guy can slug and take a walk. From what Ive heard, hes a pretty good defensive catcher. At 26, its time to give him the bump to Iowa. As far as Im concerned, we should get rid of Koyie Hill and call up Castillo as a backup and bring Chirinos to Iowa, if not leapfrog him to the big league team. Either that or just get rid of Chris Robinson.

Matt Spencer: Hes been great all year, hitting .301/.364/.491 in Tennessee. And how great would it be to say we got something of value for Aaron Miles?

I don't know why that would change much as he advances. Patience is the one thing that usually translates pretty well to the majors.

not if a guy can't hit for power (reggie willits' walk rate evaporated, theriot's is down, etc), but jackson at least will have doubles/triples power and should hit 10-15 homers a year, if not more. if he hits for jeter-type power and keeps up his patient approach, there's no reason he can't draw a good number of walks in the high minors and eventually the majors.

Community Moderator

not if a guy can't hit for power (reggie willits' walk rate evaporated, theriot's is down, etc), but jackson at least will have doubles/triples power and should hit 10-15 homers a year, if not more. if he hits for jeter-type power and keeps up his patient approach, there's no reason he can't draw a good number of walks in the high minors and eventually the majors.

Comparing him to Reggie Willets? Seriously?

First off, that's a horrible comparison. Willets' ISOP in the minors was .091. Brett Jackson is at an even .200 this year. Jackson has 6 HRs already, while Willets never hit more than 5 in any season and just 15 in his entire baseball career (2500 ABs in minors and majors).

Secondly, it's not at all true that Willets' walk rate evaporated. His walk rate was .130 in the minors. It is .136 in the majors. Theriot's is lower, but if that's your argument....see the 1st paragraph.

Comparing him to Reggie Willets? Seriously?

First off, that's a horrible comparison. Willets' ISOP in the minors was .091. Brett Jackson is at an even .200 this year. Jackson has 6 HRs already, while Willets never hit more than 5 in any season and just 15 in his entire baseball career (2500 ABs in minors and majors).

Secondly, it's not at all true that Willets' walk rate evaporated. His walk rate was .130 in the minors. It is .136 in the majors. Theriot's is lower, but if that's your argument....see the 1st paragraph.

also, willits' walk rate declined the past year or two because pitchers figured out there was no reason to keep walking a guy like him. the argument isn't that they will just stop walking when they reach the major leagues, but that major league pitchers will start to figure out that there's no reason to issue a free pass and instead will just throw the ball over the plate.