North Side Baseball

How much at fault is Rudy Jaramillo?

MrCub14

People around here go on and on about how great Larry Rothschild is, but what about the other side? There was nothing I was happier about than our newly acquired "star hitting coach" Rudy Jaramillo. Now here we are almost 60 games into the season and we can't buy a hit, let alone a run. Lou is getting tarred a feathered for his poor lineup changes, but I haven't heard a single bad word about Rudy. I will agree that Lou has made a mess of the season and his lineups all year long (not to mention the worst bullpen management in baseball), but what can he do without any bats? "Rudy Jaramillo is widely regarded as the premiere hitting instructor in the game," Cubs GM Jim Hendry said. " If this guy is the premiere hitting coach in the league, why is our clean-up hitter being considered for the DL? Why have our dependable starters had slumps at the plate all year long? I know Lou is an easy scapegoat, but it seems to me like he is only a minor part of the big issue. We can't hit but we attack our manager instead of our hitting coach. I don't get it. Regardless, its about time for this team to clean house. Starting with Jim Hendry.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Community Moderator
People around here go on and on about how great Larry Rothschild is, but what about the other side? There was nothing I was happier about than our newly acquired "star hitting coach" Rudy Jaramillo. Now here we are almost 60 games into the season and we can't buy a hit, let alone a run. Lou is getting tarred a feathered for his poor lineup changes, but I haven't heard a single bad word about Rudy. I will agree that Lou has made a mess of the season and his lineups all year long (not to mention the worst bullpen management in baseball), but what can he do without any bats? "Rudy Jaramillo is widely regarded as the premiere hitting instructor in the game," Cubs GM Jim Hendry said. " If this guy is the premiere hitting coach in the league, why is our clean-up hitter being considered for the DL? Why have our dependable starters had slumps at the plate all year long? I know Lou is an easy scapegoat, but it seems to me like he is only a minor part of the big issue. We can't hit but we attack our manager instead of our hitting coach. I don't get it. Regardless, its about time for this team to clean house. Starting with Jim Hendry.

The manager's job is to put the best players on the field in the best position to succeed. Lou hasn't even done that.

Theriot and his .315 OBP is in the lineup nearly everyday, and at the top of the lineup at that. This includes his .626 OPS starting over Jeff Baker's .961 OPS vs LHPs and Mike Fontenot's .785 vs. RHPs.

Hill apparently is the starting C over Soto, when Soto has a 200 point OPS advantage. When Soto is in the lineup he hits 8th the majority of the time w/ a .404 OBP wasted in front of the P and Theriot.

The Cubs are 8-1 with Castro in the 2-hole, yet Lou keeps him 8th because he doesn't want to put pressure on the kid. He hits Soriano 6th because that's where he decided he was going to hit in January. Zambrano to the pen. Gorzellany to the pen. Grabow in any type of close situation. And it's not just this year. It's been every year he's been here. The Cubs have previously been good enough to overcome his poor choices as a manager.

Not saying that it would make much of a difference but Lou's only job as a manager is to put his team in position to win games. He hasn't done that by being stubborn and old school.

Jaramillo has done a poor job also, but ultimately, these are the hitters he was given. He's done well with guys he's worked with before (Byrd, Soriano). He's done well with guys that are still influenced by teaching (Castro, Soto, Fontenot, Colvin). He hasn't done well with players that are veterans and stuck in the way they do things (Lee, Ramirez, Theriot). I don't know that any other HC would have had any more success with this group.

Verified Member
The manager's job is to put the best players on the field in the best position to succeed. Lou hasn't even done that.

Theriot and his .315 OBP is in the lineup nearly everyday, and at the top of the lineup at that. This includes his .626 OPS starting over Jeff Baker's .961 OPS vs LHPs and Mike Fontenot's .785 vs. RHPs.

Hill apparently is the starting C over Soto, when Soto has a 200 point OPS advantage. When Soto is in the lineup he hits 8th the majority of the time w/ a .404 OBP wasted in front of the P and Theriot.

The Cubs are 8-1 with Castro in the 2-hole, yet Lou keeps him 8th because he doesn't want to put pressure on the kid. He hits Soriano 6th because that's where he decided he was going to hit in January. Zambrano to the pen. Gorzellany to the pen. Grabow in any type of close situation. And it's not just this year. It's been every year he's been here. The Cubs have previously been good enough to overcome his poor choices as a manager.

Not saying that it would make much of a difference but Lou's only job as a manager is to put his team in position to win games. He hasn't done that by being stubborn and old school.

Jaramillo has done a poor job also, but ultimately, these are the hitters he was given. He's done well with guys he's worked with before (Byrd, Soriano). He's done well with guys that are still influenced by teaching (Castro, Soto, Fontenot, Colvin). He hasn't done well with players that are veterans and stuck in the way they do things (Lee, Ramirez, Theriot). I don't know that any other HC would have had any more success with this group.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Probably one of the better posts I've seen. I'm to the point now where I hope they continue to lose just so that Piniella and Hendry get fired (Hopefully) and the cubs blow up the roster. Judging from Lou's comments, they're really getting frustrated with Theriot. The situation he had yesterday in which he came to plate after Lilly was walked and swung at the first only to groundout, pretty much explains Theriots attitude throughout the year. Lou expects Theriot to take pitches but yet Theriot continues to think he's a run producer.

I think like raw said, the biggest thing I've read about Rudy is that he doesn't force his style on anyone. In order for some of the established players to benefit from his teachings, he has to earn their trust which can take some time. Hitting coaches aren't miracle workers, even the supposed best in the business.

He's a hitting coach. This isn't a serious question is it?

I'd officially blame Rudy for approximately 1.75% of this mess. When you have established veterans like Lee and Ramirez sucking, it's not the hitting coaches fault. The hitting coach is more or less an inter-changable part even though we may have one of the best. Veterans tends to know their swings better than anyone and work themselves out of their slumps.

And there is even evidence that Rudy might actually be helping a lot of guys when you look at Soriano's, Colvins, Castro's stats and even Theriots was mashing (hitting soft singles) the ball early until his recent slump and there were plenty of reports of the amount of time he's spent with Rudy

Raw, I know you didn't mean for your post to be a defense of Hendry, but I am going to use it that way. Right now this team is sleepwalking and that's the fault of the manager. The daily handling of the lineup and the bullpen is Lou's responsibility. With 4 OFs in the top 18 in OPS, a deep/solid rotation, an incredible closer, a great set-up man, 2 other rookie phenoms, and two of the best coaches in baseball, this team should be much better. Playing the right players and using the right lineups could have negated the lack of offense generated by ARam and DLee.

Raw, I know you didn't mean for your post to be a defense of Hendry, but I am going to use it that way. Right now this team is sleepwalking and that's the fault of the manager. The daily handling of the lineup and the bullpen is Lou's responsibility. With 4 OFs in the top 18 in OPS, a deep/solid rotation, an incredible closer, a great set-up man, 2 other rookie phenoms, and two of the best coaches in baseball, this team should be much better. Playing the right players and using the right lineups could have negated the lack of offense generated by ARam and DLee.

Lou's job is to manage the roster he has. It's Hendry's responsibility to put the roster together. Lou did plenty of dumb stuff in 08, but there was a lot more talent on that team. They're both failing.

Lou's job is to manage the roster he has. It's Hendry's responsibility to put the roster together. Lou did plenty of dumb stuff in 08, but there was a lot more talent on that team. They're both failing.

The biggest Hendry failing is hamstringing this team with high-priced, long-term contracts that can't be moved without a significant cash loss to the team and/or player permission. Way too many no-trade clauses and back-loaded contracts to go into fire sale mode or make improvements.

The Cubs are theoretically in the same kind of place as the White Sox where they have pieces that would be attractive to other teams, but the key difference is that the Sox could actually move them because of shorter contract terms and lower costs.

Personally, I place the blame directly on the players. Lou has been the same manager for the four years he's been here. It's the players underperforming that is to blame.

why blame jaramillo when the freakin players are the ones not hitting?

why blame the manager when the players aren't playing well? by this logic nobody on the staff has any responsibility or does anything.

You're right. I may have oversimplified the issue of players' roles in it, but if a manager is putting a player in a position to succeed (rightly or wrongly), there's blame to share on the players' part for not being good. There is an equal share of blame on the manager's part for sticking with an under-performing player for too long.

The biggest Hendry failing is hamstringing this team with high-priced, long-term contracts that can't be moved without a significant cash loss to the team and/or player permission. Way too many no-trade clauses and back-loaded contracts to go into fire sale mode or make improvements.

The Cubs are theoretically in the same kind of place as the White Sox where they have pieces that would be attractive to other teams, but the key difference is that the Sox could actually move them because of shorter contract terms and lower costs.

Personally, I place the blame directly on the players. Lou has been the same manager for the four years he's been here. It's the players underperforming that is to blame.

I agree about the contracts, but I disagree about Lou being the same manager. Lou looks like he's totally disinterested this year and the players are sleepwalking. Of course the players are the ones to blame, but who puts them on the field and in the lineup? (Did Lou even know that Theriot went a month between walks?) Using Colvin more often, Hill less often, moving ARam and DLee down in the lineup, using a platoon of Fontenot/Baker instead of Theriot, using Baker/Fontenot/Tracy at 3B by DLing ARam earlier, quit using Grabow in tight situations, etc. None of those decisions involve Hendry and probably would give the Cubs 3-5 more wins now. Hendry's job is to put together the best roster possible "on paper" and it's up to the manager and players to execute. The roster "on paper" should be competitive, while the team has failed on the field.

When was Lou any different? Because he had that one time when he kicked his hat and yelled real loud at the umpire and made an ass of himself? Lou's been the same bullpen-murderin', bad lineup-makin', no answers-havin' goon the whole time. He's just been able to get away with it when the team's talent outweighed his goon-ishness.

The team is playing the same way Lou coaches. Uncaring. Lou has completely rubbed off on the team. While I don't buy into "team chemistry", I do believe that if the people in charge of making decisions don't care, that attitude rubs off on the players.

But, hey, let's wait until it's too late to do anything about it! :good:

Von Joshua seemed like a pretty impressive minor league hitting coach. I thought Gerald Perry did a great job of improving team OBP and the overall approach to hitting. Both made to be the scapegoat due to the failures of Hendry and Piniella. They can't do it this time with Jaramillo, because his reputation will not allow him to be the scapegoat.

Milton Bradley made for a really easy scapegoat as well last year. It sure is nice to have those built in excuses for things not going your way. They can't do it with the hitting coach or the mouthy centerfielder this year.

In no way shape or form am I trying to take all the blame away from Lou. He has done a terrible job since he's been here, and he can't even go to his "bread and butter" by arguing and getting the crowd hyped up since he is too old. However, you can't give Rothschild all the praise for good pitching performances and turn the other cheek on Jaramillo when we can't buy a hit. As the "premiere hitting coach in baseball" I expect results and refuse to throw him a bone just because it's his first season here. If our pitchers were struggling, would it be "we have bad pitchers" or would you blame Larry Rothschild? I just don't understand how you can have the double standard. If you are going to praise the coaches for good performances, you have to criticize them for the bad ones.

Yeah how could you blame Rudy when Aramis and Lee say that they are their own best hitting coaches are hitting .168 and.234 respectively. I maintain the team has unusually amount of inconsistent hitters and guys who k too much/ walk too little. Its been like this since late 04. Thats why we lose 8 of 10 and avg 2 or 3 runs a game. Then win 3 straight by a combined score of 35 to 3 and hit 8hrs. But I digress....

If anything you cheer Rudy for his impact on Soriano and Fontenot turning it around and Marlon Byrd having a breakout year.

Guests
I don't know where this goes since it's not quite worthy of a thread, so I'll stick it here. If Lee and Ramirez were playing close to their previous history, the Cubs are already at least 3 games better, if not 4. At 4 games better the team is 31-28 and 2.5 games out of first in the Central.

I don't know where this goes since it's not quite worthy of a thread, so I'll stick it here. If Lee and Ramirez were playing close to their previous history, the Cubs are already at least 3 games better, if not 4. At 4 games better the team is 31-28 and 2.5 games out of first in the Central.

Yeah, DLee and ARam have been the biggest failures this year, but putting ARam on the DL earlier and using Baker/Fontenot/Tracy (for ARam) and Nady (for DLee) more often would probably have given us 2 more wins. Combine that with more Colvin and Soto and you probably add an additional 2 wins.