North Side Baseball

TLR: I would've asked Ankiel to pitch

Banedon

Community Moderator
Tony La Russa was so strapped for arms in the 20-inning loss to the New York Mets on Saturday night he'd have asked Rick Ankiel to pitch if the one-time phenom left-hander had still been with the Cardinals.

La Russa used 10 pitchers in Saturday night's near 7-hour, 2-1 loss to New York, including two position players who worked the final three innings.

"We never had that game when he was here," La Russa said Sunday before the teams played again. "I never asked him ahead of time, I never wanted to spook him."

"But in a game like yesterday I would have," La Russa added. "That would have been fun."

Ankiel's pitching issues were mental. My guess for one inning with relatively no pressure (no one expects him to do well) he could be very good.

I agree that he would be a natural in that role, certainly better than the other 2 even if all he threw were curves and change-ups.

What was most awful for LaRussa was his burning out the pen for his endless switch's, while Manual had 3 good arms left when the Cards hit the wall. And to lift Holliday and put the pitcher in the 4 hole effectively shut down Pujols. He was happily walked to get to the pitcher twice to load the bases. What a luxury for Charlie! AP and MH BOTH taken out of the equasion. Good grief!

Ankiel's pitching issues were mental. My guess for one inning with relatively no pressure (no one expects him to do well) he could be very good.

I agree that he would be a natural in that role, certainly better than the other 2 even if all he threw were curves and change-ups.

What was most awful for LaRussa was his burning out the pen for his endless switch's, while Manual had 3 good arms left when the Cards hit the wall. And to lift Holliday and put the pitcher in the 4 hole effectively shut down Pujols. He was happily walked to get to the pitcher twice to load the bases. What a luxury for Charlie! AP and MH BOTH taken out of the equasion. Good grief!

Yeah I remember tuning into the game late (15th?) and noticing Holliday was out and wondering how the heck that happened. If he had started why take him out of a 0-0 game? If he didn't start why wouldn't you put him in for a pinch hit late when it was 0-0 and then keep him in in case it remains tied?

Yeah I remember tuning into the game late (15th?) and noticing Holliday was out and wondering how the heck that happened. If he had started why take him out of a 0-0 game? If he didn't start why wouldn't you put him in for a pinch hit late when it was 0-0 and then keep him in in case it remains tied?

Holliday was pulled because he was "sick"....he had the previous game off for that reason but played later in the game anyway.

If he was still sick he should not have started on Sat., and under NO conditions should the pitcher replace him at cleanup. But LaRussa loves the dbl switch, even if it means taking a bullet to the foot.