North Side Baseball

White Sox Sign Andruw Jones

I am a little surprised he signed so quickly for so little. I know he isn't anywhere near the player he was in ATL, but he did post a decent line last year of .214/.323/.459 (.782 OPS) with 17 HR. His babip was only .221 so if he gets a little more lucky he is easily a .800+ops guy. For close to league minimum I like this deal. Maybe Jones just wanted security and signed the first decent offer he got and he didn't want to go the whole offseason worrying about where he was going to play.

I am a little surprised he signed so quickly for so little. I know he isn't anywhere near the player he was in ATL, but he did post a decent line last year of .214/.323/.459 (.782 OPS) with 17 HR. His babip was only .221 so if he gets a little more lucky he is easily a .800+ops guy. For close to league minimum I like this deal. Maybe Jones just wanted security and signed the first decent offer he got and he didn't want to go the whole offseason worrying about where he was going to play.

Could be they promised him a good amount of playing time.

Isnt he still being paid by the Dodgers, and the contract money from the Sox would go to them?

Also remember that the Sox pre 2005 season included some strange moves, like aquiring AJ Pyrzynski and Jermaine Dye who nobody else wanted. Kenny Williams is a smart guy.

seriously?

smart, lucky, whatever you want to call it, he's won more games with less money than Hendry and the Cubs since 2002

Also remember that the Sox pre 2005 season included some strange moves, like aquiring AJ Pyrzynski and Jermaine Dye who nobody else wanted. Kenny Williams is a smart guy.

seriously?

Yes seriously. They waived goodbye to 2 of their biggest stars in Ordonez and Carlos Lee, and another, Frank Thomas was a non factor for nearly the entire season. The replace them with Scott Podsednik, AJ Pierzynski, and Jermaine Dye.

seriously?

Yes seriously. They waived goodbye to 2 of their biggest stars in Ordonez and Carlos Lee, and another, Frank Thomas was a non factor for nearly the entire season. The replace them with Scott Podsednik, AJ Pierzynski, and Jermaine Dye.

And then they won despite a bad offense that was bad because of those moves and injuries because they had amazing years from their good and not so good pitchers alike.

seriously?

How does a catcher replace a non-catcher?

seriously?

they won because of pitching. the white sox had a below average offense in 2005.

seriously?

they won because of pitching. the white sox had a below average offense in 2005.

Pitching and a crap load of home runs.

seriously?

Pitching and a crap load of home runs.

But I thought it was Scotty Pods and Ozzieball... :-k

seriously?

smart, lucky, whatever you want to call it, he's won more games with less money than Hendry and the Cubs since 2002

Yep. I'm not sure if he's smart, but he's daring and, at the least, competent. He'll remake his team if he thinks it will make them more likely to win. He's better than Hendry, for sure.