North Side Baseball
If the Cubs trade Pierre and/or Jones, the Phillies are rumored to be shopping Aaron Rowand. He is not the big name player most of us are looking for, but he seems to add a spark to the lineup. I must admit that I dislike most things involving the White Sox, but Rowand did impress me with his attitude and hustle. The White Sox made a good deal in getting Thome for Rowand, but they have suffered in CF since he was traded.

OPS 2006:

Rowand 747

Pierre 678

Career OPS:

Rowand 788

Pierre 730

Rowand would be a significant upgrade, but I think the Phillies are looking for good young pitching in return. Would Hill and/or Guzman be enough?

the phillies arent shopping rowand. thats one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. do you know how popular he is over there right now?

They have a young CF (Shane Vitterino) who they seem to like better for the future and Rowand can bring in some prospects.

the phillies arent shopping rowand. thats one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. do you know how popular he is over there right now?

They have a young CF (Shane Vitterino) who they seem to like better for the future and Rowand can bring in some prospects.

If we trade for Rowand and we sign Lee this offseason... 2/3s of our outfield with be former White Sox.LOL

If the Cubs trade Pierre and/or Jones, the Phillies are rumored to be shopping Aaron Rowand. He is not the big name player most of us are looking for, but he seems to add a spark to the lineup. I must admit that I dislike most things involving the White Sox, but Rowand did impress me with his attitude and hustle. The White Sox made a good deal in getting Thome for Rowand, but they have suffered in CF since he was traded.

"Attitude, hustle." Sounds like he's right up Hendry's alley. His bloody nose early this year will probably make him about an additional $10Million over his career and a rep as a valuable "charachter guy" that someone will undoubtedly overvalue. He's an average player, at best. There are probably 10-15 guys in AAA that can match his overall production.

On a side note, with the Sox struggling, I can't wait until we start hearing people bemoan the Rowand trade because it stole away the Sox's "Heart and Soul" or whatever inane garbage. Thome has single handedly won about 20 games for the Sox this year with his power and presence in the lineup. It was a masterstroke by Williams, and if they hadn't made that trade, with the pitching they've gotten this year, they's be out of the race.

If we trade for Rowand and we sign Lee this offseason... 2/3s of our outfield with be former White Sox.LOL

So what?? Maybe we could broker a deal w/ the Tigers and get Magglio and then you'd have your all ex-White Sox outfield. Knowing the way Crash plays, he'll end his career slamming into the brick wall at Wrigley. Why would we want to give them anything other than Pierre or Jones for Crash. Then we'll be giving up 5 or 6 pitchers instead of 3.

"Attitude, hustle." Sounds like he's right up Hendry's alley. His bloody nose early this year will probably make him about an additional $10Million over his career and a rep as a valuable "charachter guy" that someone will undoubtedly overvalue. He's an average player, at best. There are probably 10-15 guys in AAA that can match his overall production.

On a side note, with the Sox struggling, I can't wait until we start hearing people bemoan the Rowand trade because it stole away the Sox's "Heart and Soul" or whatever inane garbage. Thome has single handedly won about 20 games for the Sox this year with his power and presence in the lineup. It was a masterstroke by Williams, and if they hadn't made that trade, with the pitching they've gotten this year, they's be out of the race.

I think that is quite an exaggeration since many AAA players never make it to the majors, let alone become starters in CF for a World Series winner.

I agree that Thome has saved the White Sox this year, but they expected some production out of CF and haven't gotten any. Thome has been an outstanding addition to the Sox, but they have missed the production and "Heart and Soul" that Rowand has provided. The Sox were even rumored as possible trade partners to get Rowand back.

So what?? Maybe we could broker a deal w/ the Tigers and get Magglio and then you'd have your all ex-White Sox outfield. Knowing the way Crash plays, he'll end his career slamming into the brick wall at Wrigley. Why would we want to give them anything other than Pierre or Jones for Crash. Then we'll be giving up 5 or 6 pitchers instead of 3.

hu??

hu??

We're not going to get Crash for Pierre straight up. We're going to have to give up some young arms in AAA. We already gave up 3 to get Pierre.

hu??

We're not going to get Crash for Pierre straight up. We're going to have to give up some young arms in AAA. We already gave up 3 to get Pierre.

We might be able to get him for Pierre and one or two prospects that arent pitchers... and cash

hu??

We might be able to get him for Pierre and one or two prospects that arent pitchers... and cash

If that were the case, the Cubs would have given up on FIVE prospects for two years of mediocre center field.

If that were the case, the Cubs would have given up on FIVE prospects for two years of mediocre center field.

wait no.. maybe Pierre the two pitching prospects we got for Williamson and cash can get us Crash. yes that would be 5 pitchers... but so what.

I think that is quite an exaggeration since many AAA players never make it to the majors, let alone become starters in CF for a World Series winner.

I agree that Thome has saved the White Sox this year, but they expected some production out of CF and haven't gotten any. Thome has been an outstanding addition to the Sox, but they have missed the production and "Heart and Soul" that Rowand has provided. The Sox were even rumored as possible trade partners to get Rowand back.

You don't think there are 10-15 guys in AAA who could hit .275 with 13-15 HR and play good defense in CF? We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Also, as for the last paragraph, take Thome off this team, and put Rowand back, and the Sox are at .500 right now, even with all the red-ass-ness, want to, character, whatever.

You don't think there are 10-15 guys in AAA who could hit .275 with 13-15 HR and play good defense in CF? We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Also, as for the last paragraph, take Thome off this team, and put Rowand back, and the Sox are at .500 right now, even with all the red-ass-ness, want to, character, whatever.

If there were, they would be starters in the majors and not playing at AAA.

As for the comment on Thome, I agreed that Thome has saved the Sox this year, but Rowand did add something to the Sox that they lack this year. It's not an either/or discussion. If the Sox could get Rowand back, they would run away with the division this year.

wait no.. maybe Pierre the two pitching prospects we got for Williamson and cash can get us Crash. yes that would be 5 pitchers... but so what.

Because its five prospects for two years of mediocrity. Why do that? Rowand is roughly equivalent to Pierre, which isn't good, and there's no reason to give five prospects up for mediocre players who won't make this team significantly better.

If there were, they would be starters in the majors and not playing at AAA.

As for the comment on Thome, I agreed that Thome has saved the Sox this year, but Rowand did add something to the Sox that they lack this year. It's not an either/or discussion. If the Sox could get Rowand back, they would run away with the division this year.

Rowand would make their team ERA go down the full point that its up this year?

Because its five prospects for two years of mediocrity. Why do that? Rowand is roughly equivalent to Pierre, which isn't good, and there's no reason to give five prospects up for mediocre players who won't make this team significantly better.

Rowand is way beyond equivalent to Pierre, and he's not interchangeable with a dozen AAA outfielders.

Adjusted career OPS:

Rowand 103

Pierre 87

That means Rowand produces just above the major league average, and at a position (CF) where offense isn't always easy to come by. Pierre is putrid; there's no kind way to say it. You could easily replace Pierre with Generic Triple A Outfielder, but not Rowand.

Rowand isn't the second coming of Hack Wilson, but he would be a significant upgrade over Pierre. Great attititude and face-to-wall affinity don't make a player good, but they don't make a player bad either.

Rowand is way beyond equivalent to Pierre, and he's not interchangeable with a dozen AAA outfielders.

Adjusted career OPS:

Rowand 103

Pierre 87

That means Rowand produces just above the major league average, and at a position (CF) where offense isn't always easy to come by. Pierre is putrid; there's no kind way to say it. You could easily replace Pierre with Generic Triple A Outfielder, but not Rowand.

Rowand isn't the second coming of Hack Wilson, but he would be a significant upgrade over Pierre. Great attititude and face-to-wall affinity don't make a player good, but they don't make a player bad either.

So the best that can be said about Rowand is that he is "barely above average".

Regardless of the hyperbole, the question still stands: is it worth it to spend 5 prospects and $9.5 million on two years of mediocre CF? In other words, do the Cubs need to spend good money after bad?

I agree it's not worth breaking the bank, or the farm system, to get Rowand. But "barely above average" is a lot better than "way below average," which is what we have now.
Sorry, Pierre isnt below avg... nor is Jones. Rowand cant bat lead off... so I wouldnt want to give up Pierre to get him...On the other hand, Murton is below average... but he is also still in his first FULL year as a major leaguer.....so I am not ready to give up on him just yet unless it means getting a big name powerhitter to take his spot in left.