Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CaliforniaRaisin

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    34,650
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CaliforniaRaisin

  1. Let us know how the paper bags work out, Vance. I will take credit for the idea since I was the first to post it in this thread. 8-)
  2. Not the Reds!? Brian, nice sig. Actually, at times like these, I tend to just tune into minor league games a whole lot more. The DJaxx and Chiefs are fun because they are playoff contenders, but my favorite is actually the Boise Hawks (mainly because I can watch all their home games).
  3. How much harder do you think Petrick was throwing? And Papelbon? I would have thought you could add a couple of mph on. Petrick topping out in the low 90's, Papelbon in the low 80's. BTW-Does anyone know what Papelbon throws? He really had SK off balance. They never really got a good AB against him. If Petrick is back throwing in the low 90s, that's fantastic (given his labrum surgeries, etc.). How good was his slider? (Sorry for so many Petrick questions, he's one of my faves.)
  4. He's a part of Wilken's great track record. And you said Wilken hadn't ever draft an all-star position player. Now you want a time limit on when he can draft his all star position players? I don't disagree that Colvin is a reach and that he really doesn't seem like a top-13 pitck. I'm just pointing out there's merit to the talk that he was rated too low by BA. This same thing happened with Lance Broadway last year, and the White Sox ended up taking him in the first round. Right now, he's doing pretty well at AA. There is merit to the late, quick-rising college player. Given the body of writing that has come out since draft day, I think you're wrong. At least two other clubs would have taken him in the first round (one being the White Sox) and scouts rated him the second best college OF behind Stubbs and heck. It's still a reach and a disappointing pick, but not the monumental reach you want to make it out to be. As for you saying Callis should change the way BA ranks their players (which you said earlier but I just noticed now), I don't know why they should have to do that when they screw up ranking a couple of players a year: they do this because they don't release another ranking of prospects the day before, mainly because they are tending to the phones to do a last minute mock draft (which tends to have an 80%+ success rate).
  5. How much harder do you think Petrick was throwing? And Papelbon?
  6. What Callis is trying to say is Colvin was still rising after BA finished its last rankings, 2 days prior to the draft. He wasn't the 170th rated player anymore, closer to the 30th rated player. Obviously still a reach (and a pick I didn't like), but not as colossal a reach as the 170th best player in the draft. Uhh, I believe Wilken's biggest first round reach - Vernon Wells - has made the all-star game before.
  7. No point right now. But they could move him to the all-former-position-player-pitching-roster and I can hope to see them all take the field at one time someday. I think Harvey will make the conversion to the mound after next season. I'm betting after THIS season. The Cubs are sure being creative in finding replacements for the lost pitching class of the 2002 draft. I can't see the Cubs giving up on Harvey as a hitter this soon, considering how highly he was thought of coming into the draft.
  8. Oneri said he would start, The Idaho Statesman said they weren't sure whether he will start or not. I'm not sure who to trust. :P Ha. I was referring to local Indiana papers; he's a Valpo boy (and you know the rest). Ohhh, I thought you meant the local Boise papers. #-o
  9. Angels, then the A's. The Dodgers are quickly gaining, thanks to Kemp and Billingsley.
  10. <3 Petrick. Ground ball after ground ball. He should be done now with Papelbon warming up. His final line: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 5/0, HBP, 8-4 GO-FO
  11. No point right now. But they could move him to the all-former-position-player-pitching-roster and I can hope to see them all take the field at one time someday. I think Harvey will make the conversion to the mound after next season. Anybody remember what he can hit on the gun? He was a HS pitcher right? He was a HS pitcher, he normally was in the 90-93 mph range.
  12. Petrick: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 5/0, HBP. He started the game with 3.1 perfect innings. DJ Lewis is 2/2. On the season, he's .474/.542/.684/1.226. Boise leads it 5-0 after 5.
  13. You are my favorite poster to start posting here in quite some time. No kidding.
  14. No point right now. But they could move him to the all-former-position-player-pitching-roster and I can hope to see them all take the field at one time someday. I think Harvey will make the conversion to the mound after next season.
  15. I don't like the Colvin pick but given what I've read from Jim Callis since the pick, it's definitely not as bad as it first seemed. But that still doesn't justify the pick in my eyes. I wanted Drabek.
  16. Petrick has thrown 4 shutout innings and Boise leads it 5-0. Canzler with a 3-run HR. :)
  17. Oneri said he would start, The Idaho Statesman said they weren't sure whether he will start or not. I'm not sure who to trust. :P
  18. I don't agree that Marshall does not have the stuff and potential of Hill. Marshall's curve projects to be a little better long term. Fastballs are similar, with Marshall's having more movement and more upside. Marshall has the potential to have a much better changeup. Marshall has shown a history of better control and better groundball rates. Marshall already has a much better change than Hill. Of course you already know I rate Marshall higher.
  19. Kerry Wood has a 401-K?
  20. Fantastic job yet again, BK.
  21. The Cubs don't, but Tim Wilken does. I don't think so. He's employed by the Cubs, hired by the Hendry/MacPhail regime. That alone is enough to tarnish whatever image he had coming in. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he has full control of draft decisions.
  22. Of course Boise and Mesa have played 10 games combined and the top talent hasn't even played (Colvin, Samardzija, Rundle and a couple other intriguing prospects like Huseby and Renshaw). Way too early to get an idea either way. And this from someone who roundly criticized the draft. Did all of their competition have all their top talent playing from the get-go? No (though Eugene had Antonelli and Tempe had Conger), but I don't know the point in judging a draft based on a combined 10 games while the top talent hasn't arrived yet (irregardless of the competition, especially keeping in mind not everyone in the NWL and AZL are 2006 draft choices).
  23. Probable Starters: Iowa: LHP Rich Hill (4-1, 2.12 ERA, 63.2 IP, 86/12, 0.88 WHIP) vs. RHP Anastacio Martinez (2-4, 4.72 ERA) West Tenn: RHP Juan Mateo (4-3, 2.25 ERA, 58 IP, 46/17, 1.07 WHIP) @ LHP Greg Smith (1-1, 3.27 ERA) Daytona: RHP Roberto Sotolongo (0-1, 2.25 ERA, 8 IP, 6/2, 0.88 WHIP) Peoria: RHP Todd Blackford (6-2, 3.97 ERA, 77 IP, 34/36, 1.47 WHIP) @ RHP Ruben Flores (1-5, 6.18 ERA) Boise: RHP Billy Petrick (0-0, 0.00 ERA, 3.2 IP, 5/2, 1.36 WHIP) Mesa: ?? Hopefully it's finally RHP Jacob Renshaw
×
×
  • Create New...