I'll read the tea leaves here and say, if Kittredge is the best they get because Hoyer is desperately prospect hugging then you can kiss any realistic chances of retaining Tucker goodbye. There's no reason to hang onto all of Long/Alcantara/Caissie/Ballesteros if CF, 1B and RF are blocked for the better part of a decade. Each one of those guys would be blocked next year and for some of them even longer.
I'm not trading Horton and the reason for that is simple. Look at his numbers even with this weird inability to get guys to swing and miss with 2 strikes when it's not an issue getting swing and miss for strike 1 or strike 2. Once he gets that ironed out, I think he's going to be real good.
Well yeah, I'd put every cent I own on Shaw never touching 40HRs and a huge amount on never touching .900 OPS too, but he doesn't have to. He's vastly better defensively. He's vastly better on the bases. All Shaw has to do is be like a 115-120 wRC+ guy and he matches Suarez's career year. even as a league average bat he's probably a 3 fWAR player.
Steven Kwan is though. The Padres just need someone to give Cleveland prospects for Kwan, then deal Kwan to them for Cease and/or Suarez. I could totally see this
Cubs trade Alcantara+Triantos for Kwan
Cubs trade Kwan+Amaya to San Diego
San Diego Trades Cease+Suarez to the Cubs
I mean it makes sense. At this point for 2026 he's behind all of Steele, Shota, Boyd, Taillon, Horton, Brown and Assad. If they get a controllable pitcher here he's 9th on the depth chart.