Personally I feel like Soler is well behind the other 3 and I even favor CJ over him. If you could move him for someone in the Zimmer/Sanchez/Syndergaard level of pitching then I'm game.
To not even have him as a top 100 is bordering on irrational hatred. He must believe that it's pretty much a guarantee CJ is a reliever and even then probably a marginal one.
Then our front office is stupid. That's a bit harsh I think. A career .322 OBP is not impressive. But since he plays a deluxe position, I think they feel they can still move him for something compelling. Compelling? For a 24 year old who has already been an all star twice I'm going to need more than compelling. I'm not letting one year where he's completely reworking his plate approach jade me on his ability. Sure, he's probably never going to be the Hanley type we hoped for, but the old 3 WAR Castro was still a damn good player.
I agree that Shark should be considered for an extension, but from all accounts it seems like he's not interested in signing an extension. I seem to recall the FO saying signing Samardzija to an extension this past offseason was a priority, but Samardzija wasn't interested. If that's the case, and he'd rather test free agency, then trading him while you can get the max return for him possible is not a bad idea. My understanding was that he wanted too many years and wouldn't back off of a NTC.
I find it absolutely ridiculous that the Cubs are so loaded with power bats that a guy like Dan Vogelbach is probably only 4th on the list for power potential.
The Dodgers have a few really good prospects. Corey Seager is a top 30 type of of guy who will be top 20 on some lists. Joc Pederson is a 50-70 type guy and Zach Lee is a top 100 guy. There's plenty there to work a deal.
Sports radio, TV and newspaper is going to be pretty much completely intolerable for a few weeks now. Not to mention that no matter who gets hired now, people are going to bitch and moan about it.
What did the Royals look like a few years ago? Or was some of theirs tied up in pitching? It was pretty evenly split. Moustakas, Hosmer, Myers, Duffy, Odorizzi, Montgomery Lamb too if I'm not mistaken.
Way to completely disrespect one of best players in Braves history for giving his opinion. Any doubts that McCann championed this? http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2013-10-08/chipper-jones-first-pitch-boycott-braves-dodgers-nlds
After all these years I'm still shocked at just how stupid the majority of people who cover baseball are. How you can cover a sport as a profession or, worse yet, play it all your life and still not understand it is beyond me.
Are you figuring in the league wide TV money that's supposed to be in the area of 20-25M per team? Probably offset by our drop in revenue. Bring in Cargo and Tanaka and I'm guessing a lot of that lost revenue comes back.
I'll start off by saying this is what I want to see, not what I expect. 1B: Rizzo 2B: Kendrick(Angels get salary relief and Lake) SS: Castro 3B: Baez C: Castillo RF: Schierholtz(Bryant takes over in 2015) CF: Cargo (Vogelbach,Alcantara,Pierce) LF: Beltran(2/24) SP: Samardzija/Tanaka(40+50/5)/Wood/Edwin/Arrieta RP: O'Flaherty(1/4)/Strop/Russell/Parker/Lim/Rosscup/Madson(1/3) Line up 1) Kendrick 2)Castro 3)Cargo 4)Rizzo 5)Beltran 6)Baez 7)Schierholtz 8) Castillo My only concern with the team is that Howie/Castro and Cargo aren't going to take a ton of walks and are very reliant on batting average. On the plus side, there is a ton of powere here and the bullpen has a very real chance of being excellent.
Outside of Maddon, is there really a name that would excite anyone? I just really don't care who the manager is as long as it's not a giant old timey meatball like Sciossia.
I have no interest in double paying for Price. Trading prospects sure, giving him a big contract sure, but both together? No thanks. Unless the desired package is a lot smaller then I think then I don't have a lot of interest. If you're going after Tampa then go after Matt Moore instead.
Irrational optimism for the line up next year with possible additions of Baez and Bryant. Add Ellsbury and Beltran and you have the potential for a monster offense.
This is a chance to add an elite bat well below what it would cost in FA and without having to pony up a farm crippling prospect package. Open up the wallet and give him what he wants.