hey now, this guy was all about Travis Wood a couple months ago man, non-elite pitching is such a total crapshoot He's also talked a lot about how Travis has completely changed how he has pitched following the 1st month of the season. He's throwing a lot more of his pitches that grade out as subpar for whatever reason.
It cracks me up how much O's fans value the guy. The Red Sox are giving us a better pitcher in Doubront for a PTBNL. I doubt they turn right around and trade Lester for Gonzalez. It's insane how much they overvalue him. They're convinced he's a good #3 type when he's as back of the rotation as you can get and he's getting worse each year.
I can't imagine they'd give up Gausman as he's probably the best pitcher in their rotation right now. I think it would have to be Harvey or maybe Bundy.
This is really going to depend on what we give up. I don't mind him as a rebound candidate, but he's going to have to be really cheap because he has been an absolute garbage fire this year.
He doesn't look that bad at all, but he's repeating a level and I have no idea about his stuff. The super low BB/9 combined with the just ok K/9 and not great H/9 makes me think his stuff is probably just ok if that. I'd think if the stuff is good and he had command like that, he'd give up fewer hits and strike out more guys.
So apparently Houston is making Dallas Keuchel some what available for some reason. He's putting up a great season with a 3.02FIP and 3.13xFIP. He's also under control through 2018. Houston apparently wants bats and I'd happily give up a package headlined by Almora. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/astros-open-to-trading-keuchel-mchugh-cosart.html
It appears several people believe just that. Who are these people? We've all been pretty clear that two unexpected things happened which led to this situation. Marshall, who was supposedly not signable, became signable and Houston's doctor found something out of the normal. There was no plan before any of this. Houston's FO thought Aiken's irregularity would create the leverage they needed to get greedy and grab that one last prospect. Once they realized that Aiken wasn't going to cave and it was going to blow up in their face, they threw 5M at AIken so they could land Aiken+Nix.
So why do you think the doctor said it? Because Luhnow bribed him? What's your medical expertise to say he has no grounds for being concerned about his "small"(why is this quoted?) UCL? There is no history proving that this is a concern and there is no study saying this should be a concern. I see a team who had a physician who was unsure about the impact of a small UCL and the Astros decided that they'd take that uncertainty and use it as leverage to try and grab Marshall who was previously thought to be unsignable. So unless the doctor specifically said he is more likely to get injured, there is no proof of this, I put the blame on the Astros front office and not the doctor.
The biggest problem for me is that Houston's doctor has no grounds for being concerned about Aiken's "small" UCL. There is no documentation or study that suggests having a smaller UCL will more likely lead to TJS. That doctor is completely pulling his prognosis out of his ass with nothing to back it up. How can you pull 3M off the table of an offer on a prognosis that has no evidence to back it up?
Why haven't the Padres accepted this trade yet? That would be a great haul for the Padres. Hell I might take Clarkin all by himself, as I don't particularly care that much about Jagielo. There's a lot of noise that his swing isn't going to work once he hits AA and AAA.
I'm starting to get worried about when I'm going to get my call. I was expecting next year, but with the arrival of Javy,Bryant,Soler etc, I get the impression there are going to be a lot fewer available then there have been over the last few years.
If Aiken does indeed lose his eligibility, this is kind of thing that could absolutely ruin them in drafts for the next decade. All the games that were played and costing the kid his ability to go to college would be well in excess of the Phillies' ordeal in my eyes.
I don't get what the Astros were doing. Even if they stuck with their 5M offer they could still have landed one of Nix or Marshall. Instead they land none of the three and lose out on an entire year of prospect development. Coming off a year where you completely blew your #1 pick, that is about as disastrous as it gets.
I don't even know what to say. You almost have to hope it's an injury at this point because if it's not then we might have a disaster that makes Hayden Simpson pale in comparison.