I don't understand how this keeps being said. The Cubs are already 2/3 of the way through a race for the playoffs and very much in contention. i don't think he realizes that being "equipped for a playoff run" means having a playoff berth. No I get it. I don't think we are going to make the playoffs and even if we do, I don't feel this team would be successful in the playoffs. If they don't do anything the chances of that first part being a self fulfilling prophecy are high. And as for the second part, the odds are against any one team being successful in the playoffs, depending on how you define successful. I would say making the playoffs is successful and where you go from there is largely due to chance. There's no such thing as a team built for the playoffs. They are all just variations of being built to make the playoffs. The Cubs probably need another starting pitcher and maybe a bat. And they should trade for one because they are never going to field a badass team of nothing but homegrown prospects.