Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CubinNY

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    27,840
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    24

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CubinNY

  1. Where are you getting this information from? They let him buy the Expos to fold them and then gave him and John Henry a sweatheart deal to exchange the Red Sox for the Marlins, with MLB (the other 29 clubs) holding the bag for folding the Expos. Jeff Loria is like the Bud Selig's Grimm Reaper. I've said it before and I'll say it again, baseball survives because it is a great game. It survives in spite of the owners. The idiot in Tampa built is stadium in St. Petersburg and then aleinated his entire fan base. Selig got the City to foot the bill for the Brewers and then mismanaged them into serious trouble. I could go on and on. Loria fits in well with the crowd. Because as I told you...I have sources and very good ones and no I cannot provide you with that information because I like being employed. Having a paycheck is kind of a nice luxury to have. My sources tell me your sources are full of BS. I like being employed too.
  2. I understand you are frustrated that they added Kendall - I did want him either and would have preferred to give Soto a shot. I agree that we need another bat, hopefully in RF or at SS. However, I think that your statement implies that they have been lucky rather than good. I think this is unfair and untrue. You don't win as many games as they have since June 1 without playing good baseball. Everyone knows there is a bit of chance involved in all sports, but usually you have to do something well in addition to getting breaks. The Cubs have done plenty of that, IMO. Also, this notion that giving up a minor league middle reliever for a guy one year removed from a solid major league season (at least in terms of OBP) and who will cost only $900k is just disengenious. I have seen many folks - you included, IIRC - rail against Hendry for overvaluing middle relievers and not treating them like the fungible commodities they are. Assuming that is true - and I think it is - its a bit hypocritical for you to now blast him for giving up a AA reliever with one-half of a good season to his credit for Kendall. Now, if you look at it in the larger context - trading Barrett for Kendall - I agree it appears to be a loss. That said, Barrett may have worn out his welcome with the Cubs and the players - we will never know. What we do know is that we have not had many problems without him. I'd also note that Kendall is a rental, and Soto may therefore get his shot next season, or could be used to get something we really need - someone who can play RF or SS and hit. Where is the hell did you get what you posted from my post? I'm not at all frustrated that the Cubs got Kendall for a minor league middle reliever and Bowen. I don't know where you would get that idea from my post. I don't think this trade was bad by any stretch. Since the middle of June the Cubs have gotten good to great pitching from their bullpen, almost no offense outside of Aramis and Soriano, have caught lightning in a bottle from Fontenot and Theriot, and have been fortunate to play teams that stink more than they do. I don't think that is somthing to get overly excited about. In my opinon, they are a slightly better team today than they were yesterday at this time. I hope this is the first move and not the last.
  3. Where are you getting this information from? They let him buy the Expos to fold them and then gave him and John Henry a sweatheart deal to exchange the Red Sox for the Marlins, with MLB (the other 29 clubs) holding the bag for folding the Expos. Jeff Loria is like the Bud Selig's Grimm Reaper. I've said it before and I'll say it again, baseball survives because it is a great game. It survives in spite of the owners. The idiot in Tampa built is stadium in St. Petersburg and then aleinated his entire fan base. Selig got the City to foot the bill for the Brewers and then mismanaged them into serious trouble. I could go on and on. Loria fits in well with the crowd.
  4. I agree, It does seem like Kendall called a good game, and I hope that Haren and Gaudin don't start to pitch poorly. There was obviously a couple "Glad he's gone, he sucked" ones too, but surprisingly mostly everyone didn't like it. And people kept saying they disagreed with a guy who put down Kendall's D. Who gives a crap about what people say on a message board. This was a trade brought about by an unnecessary trade of Barrett. Kendall might have been the answer when the Pirates were trying to get rid of him, but he isn't now. To me this trade makes the Cubs slightly better but nothing that "puts them over the top". I'd like to see the Cubs add a legitimate power hitter. Then this trade will look a lot better. Kendall can get on base (this season nothwithstanding). Until then the Cubs better keep hoping for more good luck and more good pitching. Finally, Blevins was having a pretty good year.
  5. I wonder what the application looked like? Name DOB: SS# Income: Assets: Credit Cards: Bank Account: Signature: We will get back to you in 6 to 8 weeks
  6. And that is the big gamble. A terrible gamble. A gamble the Cubs shouldn't take. If they upgrade elsewhere they won't have to worry so much about CF. And once again, Pie wasn't exactly given much time to "prove" himself. I've seen this movie before. It always ends the same way.
  7. I think the chances are pretty good. Especially if he resigns with the Yankees. They are already getting 33 million from the Rangers for ARod.
  8. This one should not be close.
  9. Why would they regret that? He's done everything they've wanted from him, the stadium extortion attempt, the torching of the Expos franchise, the refusal to spend any money anywhere. He's the biggest prick in baseball, of course they love him. Exactly, He ruined the Expos and they rewarded him by letting him ruin the Marlins. I wish Bk still posted. He has some great rants about Loria. Just one little tidbit: in 2003 they didn't even have programs ready until about a month into the season.
  10. IMO A-Rod is doing the right thing by waiting. He has NY right where he wants them, for once. I think he stays in NY. He is a guy who never wants to say the wrong thing and always tries to do the right thing for his image. Ironically enough, that's why many NYY fans hate him. Even more ironic, it's why they love Jeter. What a bunch of idiots.
  11. excellent typo It wasn't a typo for once :D
  12. Adam Dunn ------------- Ken Griffey, Jr Move Soriano to RF (where he should be anyway) and give them Murton and some pitching for Dunn. I would pee my pants.
  13. That's not a bad line at all. Hopefully he's coming around. I will be more than ecstatic if I'm wrong and he makes it to big club as a starter.
  14. You might be correct if life was exactly like an economics text book but it's not. However, at least sone economists contend that rising ticket prices are the cause of rising salaries.
  15. While I normally don't enter the discussion in the game threads on this subject I have always been more impressed with the argument TT is making. When a pitcher has been wild and needs to avoid a walk and the batter is a competent batter, have him look for his pitch on pitch 1 (and pitch 2 and pitch 3 etc.). In that situation there's no reason to swing at a pitcher's pitch because he's unlikely to be able to get that over the plate. If the pitcher knows you're not going to swing at pitch 1 it just puts you down in the count automatically. I think it depends on the player. The problem is that the player often doesn't swing at "his" pitch and grounds out weakly or pops up. I don't necessarily have a problem with swinging at the first pitch as long as the batter has good plate discipline. Pujols is a disciplined enough hitter to give him the greenlight, Corey Patterson, not so much.
  16. Noting against your trade idea, but I see no reason to mortage the future for KGJ. If the Cubs are taking on a good portion of the deferred salary they shouldn't have to give up much to get him. I'd be willing to give them their pick of two position prospects or one pitching prospect but they have to take Jones. But truely, I don't think the Cubs should trade for KGJ at all. He's having a good year, but one he's not likely to repeat ever again.
  17. It's no more insane than $10+ million for .500 pitchers and $8-!2 million for mediocre hitters. It's all pretty insane right now. I bet ARod is licking his chops. Somebody is going to give him $30 million/year for 5 years. And then that team will raise ticket prices to "stay competitiive". It's a micorcosm of the economy, the rich get richer (owners and players) and the middle class pays the bills (fans).
  18. Provide some scrutiny that disproves it. I don't know of any thinly built speedy guys like Ichiro whose game held up throughout their mid 30's. We're talking about a guy with little patience and very little power whose entire game is based on his ability to make contact and run to first. The closest comparable I can think of is Kenny Lofton, but he had more patience and more power. He has stuck around a while, but has been quite inconsistent. Lofton Otis Nixon Ricky Henderson Ozzie Smith Lou Brock Willie Wilson Brett Butler Davey Lopes Omar Vizquel What a terrible attempt to defend your stance. LOL! You said, "I don't know of any thinly built speedy guys like Ichiro whose game held up throughout their mid 30's." Well now you know of several. Happy to be of service. Except for the fact that Ricky was never thinly built, and Brett Butler, Davey Lopes, Otis Nixon, Lou Brock, Omar Vizquel, Ozzie Smith, and Kenny Lofton were pretty much medicore to crappy players by their mid 30s. Is it really that hard to look up statistics? Baseball reference is your friend. So you're saying these guys weren't as good at 38 as they were at 25? Gosh, I hadn't noticed that. :roll: The point is, the decline seen in these guys' career paths is not at all atypical for any player, or indicative of some enhanced risk associated with being thin and fast. In fact these guys aged much better than the general baseball population does. I don't know how or why you continue to make suck claims based on no evidence whatsoever. It is mind bottling.
  19. Ichiro's game is not built on speed. It's built on an incredible ability to hit a baseball in almost any direct.
  20. Provide some scrutiny that disproves it. I don't know of any thinly built speedy guys like Ichiro whose game held up throughout their mid 30's. We're talking about a guy with little patience and very little power whose entire game is based on his ability to make contact and run to first. The closest comparable I can think of is Kenny Lofton, but he had more patience and more power. He has stuck around a while, but has been quite inconsistent. Lofton Otis Nixon Ricky Henderson Ozzie Smith Lou Brock Willie Wilson Brett Butler Davey Lopes Omar Vizquel What a terrible attempt to defend your stance. LOL! You said, "I don't know of any thinly built speedy guys like Ichiro whose game held up throughout their mid 30's." Well now you know of several. Happy to be of service. Except for the fact that Ricky was never thinly built, and Brett Butler, Davey Lopes, Otis Nixon, Lou Brock, Omar Vizquel, Ozzie Smith, and Kenny Lofton were pretty much medicore to crappy players by their mid 30s. Is it really that hard to look up statistics? Baseball reference is your friend.
  21. Prime years are 26-29. I don't see how it's arbitrary to say a player who is 31 is past his prime. Soriano has an OPS+ of 126 right now, below what he had at 26, 27 and 30. Prime years are not static for everybody, it goes back to what Have a seat, Neifi! was talking about. His OPS+ for this year is trivially lower than a couple years past, especially considering the difference in OBP making up any difference in league/park factor. The point is that Soriano is playing just as well as he has at any point in his career(again, look to last year's numbers at the break), I don't see how you can say he's past his prime just because he's 31. Also, 26-29 isn't universally accepted as the normal prime years either, ranges from 28-32 have also been cited. OK. Let's not lose sight of the point here. Whether the prime is 26-29 or 28-32 Soriano, Lee, and Aramis are not "entering" their prime they are "leaving" their prime.
  22. Um, Tony, you DO realize that you actually need to tie the game for extra innings to even become an issue, don't you? And Pujols is your best bet to tie the game. I didn't see the game but it reminds me of a game in Pittsburgh where Dusty put in Fontenot to bat late in the game instead of Dubois becuase he was saving Dubois for extra innings. The Cubs did eventually come back to win the game, but it had noting to do with Fontenot or Dubios.
  23. I like the "other" category
  24. That's a really bizarre and arbitrary definition of peak. For crying out loud, a lot of players still produce as well as ever in their early 30's (even 31.5 :shock: ). If they are, then I would say they are still at the "peak" region of their career. What is so damn bizarre about that? Obviously each player is different then another. So to make the statement "a player over 29 years old is past his prime" is too broad of a generalization. Some are, some aren't. I think i'll just go bang my head against the wall now. Bang harder. To say a guy must be in his peak if he is top 5 in his league in AVG or HR is absurd. You don't understand the concept of peak. To be past your prime does not mean you stink. It means you aren't as good as you were at your best. ARod is the only guy you listed who is outperforming what he has done at younger ages. Soriano is off the pace he set last year and will probably remain there throughout his time with the Cubs. He's past his prime. Just to tag on and to reiterate: PAST PRIME DOES NOT MEAN WASHED UP. It means not likely to get significantly better. Some players plateau, not many though. Most get worse and stay worse (than their prime) until they retire. I'm with Abuck, I don't fancy seeing a 38 year young Soriano in a Cub uniform making 18 million. However, that doesn't mean that he won't be an ok player.
×
×
  • Create New...