Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CubinNY

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    27,840
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    24

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CubinNY

  1. I agree with J.R.
  2. When Pie gets sent back down and if Murton doesn't get sent up, I'll wager better OPS from AAA than MLB in the outfield.
  3. Floyd is/was more productive and hitting the ball much better than Murton. What does that have to do with defense? It has a lot to do with my entire post why Murton should not be playing. He elected to take one small part to disagree with instead of the entire post as a whole. I said Floyd and Pagan are better options right now...which they are. Floyd is a better option, temporarily true. Pagan, not true. Note: Pagan is hitting .231 is last ten games. And Floyd is at .250, I,ll take Murton. Do you think it's fair to judge Pagan in his last 10 games? I don't...he's exceeded my expectations this year and has hit the ball pretty well this year. Yet it is fair to judge Murton by 24 games? What is the cut off games to judge a player so we can have your brilliant ability too.
  4. Another Murton excuse on this site? No way... This isn't little Johnny trying to make the varsity roster so let's please do away with the pressure argument. This is professional sports....I would sure hope there's pressure. Murton was given every opportunity to be a starting corner outfielder and he didn't produce. If you don't produce, it's Lou's job to insert someone else who will - which is exactly what he is trying to find. Murton is a light hitting corner outfielder with a poor arm, average speed and a major defensive liability every time he steps on the field. Just because he knows how to take a pitch and has "upside" he should be given the benefit of the doubt and let him play out of this prolonged slump? I thought the fans wanted this team to win now?? It's one or the other. http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/murtoma01.shtml Don't know where to begin.
  5. This A-Rod talk reminds me of Nomar in 2004. At first I thought it was impossible to get Nomar. A little Deja Vu would be nice. Not that kind! Get your mind of the gutter. wait for it.
  6. Murton played sporadically for 24 games in RF before being sent down. For any of you to be making these comments is just plain shortsighted and frankly pretty stupid. Twenty-four freaking games. In the last 30 days (May 12 to June 12) he was up he started 13 games and never started two games in a row after May 26. From that date he made exactly 4 starts in 14 days. He pinch hitted 7 times. His batting average as a PH was .188. Can any of you imagine what kind of pressure he was playing under when he has to know that any day the worst fear for a you ball player could be realized, and in fact was (being sent down). Murton was set up for failure. It's ridiculous to base an opinon on such scant evidence. And then to assume that becuase he was playing RF instead of LF he all of the sudden forgot how to play baseball is asinine. But if it makes you happy....
  7. I agree, somewhat. Hendry must be proactive and get a SS, CF, or catcher. He cannot wait until the deadline. Also we have to hope for good health. I'm looking a your Aramis. Oh, and also Lee needs to start hitting some taters. So, in conclusion, the Cubs need some more offense and a lot of luck. I am starting to believe for the first time since 2003.
  8. The most highly optimistic view would be that the Cubs really do value Murton highly, and see them as part of their future, but sent him down for two reasons: 1 - to get consistent ABs, and 2 - to get himself comfortable in RF someplace other than in the bigleagues. Now whether that interpretation has any validity is anyone's guess. But just because a young guy gets sent down, and a lesser player assumes his spot on the big club, doesn't automatically mean that the team doesn't value that young guy. What does Murton need to work on? The idea that RF is *that* much different than left is balderdash. The difference is longer throws to third and a different POV on the game. Murton doesn't have a great arm so he seems more suited to LF. The problem is the Cubs think they need to get a run producer out there. Maybe they do, but they also need guys to get on base too. Although I don't think the Cubs will do it, Soriano seems much more suited for RF and Floyd/Murton seem better suited for LF. I guess they don't want to switch Soriano again. Which brings me to my last point, Murton doesn't really have that much trade value as a stand alone. He's not going to be an elite outfielder and most teams want power from the corners. A team like the A's, Boston, or San Deigo might value Murton's skills but they are not likely to want to give up much to get him. I think the Cubs will have to package Murton with some other talent to get any value for him at all. The fact that you're asking this suggests that maybe you didn't see him playing RF much for the Cubs. He was bad, and looked uncomfortable there. It seemed pretty clear early on that OTJ training with the big club wasn't the most prudent approach to acclimating Murton to RF. I'm sure your eyes never lie.
  9. Lots of teams announcers cannot stand the Cubs. I think they are jealous of the reach of WGN and all the loyal fans who follow the Cubs to away games. The Cubs are very lucky there are people like us. All it takes is a two week hot streak and we get thinking about the playoffs.
  10. Hey sorry to get off task here, but I see you live in Holland. Do you happen to know what dates the Tulip festival will be this year? I want to take my wife up there, she's never been. Its the first or second week in May, so its done for this year. Tuliptime.com i think. If you end up coming sometime PM me and i can gave you some low down on some things to do or places to eat. Thanks. I grew up in Niles and went to the festival once when I was in college. Goodtimes.
  11. another 0fer for Cesar. I have to believe he will be DFA or traded before long. He's real bad.
  12. Hey sorry to get off task here, but I see you live in Holland. Do you happen to know what dates the Tulip festival will be this year? I want to take my wife up there, she's never been.
  13. http://www.northsidebaseball.com/PremiumForum/viewtopic.php?t=13091&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= viewtopic.php?t=13091&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
  14. The Cubs are put together like a WalMart watch.
  15. Very good. Fontenot's not all that fast either. Seems like everyone has a catcher with a good arm. Except us. And San Deigo :-#
  16. Hopefully he's lucky for one more inning and the Cubs score another run or two. The bullpen can take over after 6.
  17. I agree with this. I mean, it's the only thing that remotely makes any sense whatsoever. The question is showcased for whome??????
  18. The most highly optimistic view would be that the Cubs really do value Murton highly, and see them as part of their future, but sent him down for two reasons: 1 - to get consistent ABs, and 2 - to get himself comfortable in RF someplace other than in the bigleagues. Now whether that interpretation has any validity is anyone's guess. But just because a young guy gets sent down, and a lesser player assumes his spot on the big club, doesn't automatically mean that the team doesn't value that young guy. What does Murton need to work on? The idea that RF is *that* much different than left is balderdash. The difference is longer throws to third and a different POV on the game. Murton doesn't have a great arm so he seems more suited to LF. The problem is the Cubs think they need to get a run producer out there. Maybe they do, but they also need guys to get on base too. Although I don't think the Cubs will do it, Soriano seems much more suited for RF and Floyd/Murton seem better suited for LF. I guess they don't want to switch Soriano again. Which brings me to my last point, Murton doesn't really have that much trade value as a stand alone. He's not going to be an elite outfielder and most teams want power from the corners. A team like the A's, Boston, or San Deigo might value Murton's skills but they are not likely to want to give up much to get him. I think the Cubs will have to package Murton with some other talent to get any value for him at all.
  19. You can't teach pitch recognition. It's a skill based on eyesight and reflexes, and if you don't have it there is nothing you can do about it. Patterson had other, raw athletic talents that let him do decently in the minors, but no amount of coaching could change that basic fact. That's not even in the same universe as truth.
  20. What time do they play the games in Mesa? I saw on CNN that is supposed to be like 110F for the next week. That would suck to catch in that weather.
  21. Well that makes a helluva a lot of sense for not playing him now. Jesus Christ this organization is terrible. Either send him back down or let him play. You don't get better at doing something by watching others do it. At some point you have to do it yourself.
×
×
  • Create New...