North Side Baseball

Trading Albert Pujols

CubInOK

OK, so I'm not very happy with my pitching and my best 3B is Casey Blake. I decided to dangle Pujols to see what would come up because I also have Morneau and Votto. I'm in a Yahoo 6x6 league that counts doubles and WHIP as well as the normal stuff.

Anyway, I've got 2 offers so far

I get:

-Evan Longoria

-Chris Carpenter

I give:

-Albert Pujols

-Casey Blake

I'm feeling pretty strongly about this one. I'm thinking I'm gonna get great value for Pujols in this trade.

The other one:

I get:

-Victor Martinez

-Felix Hernandez

I give:

-Albert Pujols

-Jhonny Peralta

1) Am I crazy for even dagling Pujols even though I have glaring needs elsewhere?

2) Would anyone else here do these trades?

I would dangle your other two 1B and see if you can get an offer that relatively close to Pujols. Then if you do make that trade and keep the best player in the game.

As far as the current offers ...

1.) Probably worth it but not ideal as Blake isn't that bad. Overall you would be improving because the drop off from Pujols to Morneau would be less than the improvement from Blake to Longoria plus you would get Carp.

2.) No.

I ended up trading Pujols and Carlos Quentin for Evan Longoria, Jair Jurrjens and Ubaldo Jiminez.

Why would you take that over Longoria/Carpenter??

He traded away Carp, so I forced him to throw in Jurrjens and Jiminez.

The trade got vetoed anyway. My league decided that no one is gonna trade players anymore after Martin, Jeter, and Rivera for Erick Aybar, Pierzynski and Peavy didn't pass.

I ended up trading Pujols and Carlos Quentin for Evan Longoria, Jair Jurrjens and Ubaldo Jiminez.

The trade got vetoed anyway. My league decided that no one is gonna trade players anymore after Martin, Jeter, and Rivera for Erick Aybar, Pierzynski and Peavy didn't pass.

I understand the reasoning behind vetoing trades if someone is just dumping players for the sake of dumping them because he's out of it and doesn't care, but if there's some obvious logic in the trades it's really ridiculous for someone to veto them. If both the teams involved agree to them and they look reasonable and logical no one else should care unless it's absurdly lopsided.

Community Moderator

I understand the reasoning behind vetoing trades if someone is just dumping players for the sake of dumping them because he's out of it and doesn't care, but if there's some obvious logic in the trades it's really ridiculous for someone to veto them. If both the teams involved agree to them and they look reasonable and logical no one else should care unless it's absurdly lopsided.

I agree; what may appear to be an unfair trade on the face of it could actually make sense for both teams involved based on their strengths and weaknesses.

Guests
I traded Pujols for Mauer/Crawford, but I threw in Soto and Morgan. Although Berkman's negative prognosis is making me regret it a little bit, I still like the deal. Relative to the average player, Mauer/Crawford have more value than Albert, and trading my 1st, 10th, and 12th round pick for someone's 1st and 2nd is a good deal in a 12 team league.