North Side Baseball

The 2010 Daytona Cubs

CubsWin

Obviously, team assignments aren't determined until after Cubs brass works out their minor leaguers at Fitch Park next February and March, but making some assumptions, next season's Daytona looks to be kinda stacked. Given his current FSL struggles, 3B Josh Vitters likely starts next season there. Assuming 2B Ryan Flaherty doesn't make the jump to AA right away, but starts at Daytona with the intention of moving him quickly if he does well, that's half of the infield. SS DJ LeMaheiu is almost a lock to be there considering Hak-Ju Lee is pushing out of Peoria and DJ's hit pretty well in Low-A. 1B Rebel Ridling will be a little old for the league (turning 24 in May), but he's the exception in that area and his .800+ OPS will help fill out the line-up. The outfield will have Kyler Burke in RF (great arm) and Brett Jackson in CF, two high pedigree talents and impressive physical specimens. It's been a while since the Cubs have had two legit OF prospects who were age appropriate or younger at High-A. The only spots open for competition are LF and C.

The rotation looks pretty good, too. Ryan Searle could be held over given his age and the fact that he didn't exactly dominate this season. Joining him will likely be Chris Archer, who will be 21 next season, Jeffrey Beliveau (23), 2nd round pick Aaron Shafer (23) who has lit it up lately in Peoria, and possibly Chris Huseby (22) who relieved this season but could be stretched out in much the same way that Cashner was this year.

Times should be interesting next season down in Daytona. I'm guessing other teams might be praying for rain...

If I had to guess -

C Michael Brenly

1B Rebel Ridling

2B DJ LeMahieu

SS Marwin Gonzalez - I think there's a strong chance Ryan Flaherty goes to AA

3B Josh Vitters

RF Kyler Burke

CF Brett Jackson

LF Nelson Perez

DH Jovan Rosa

SP Chris Archer

SP Justin Bristow

SP Aaron Shafer

SP Chris Rusin

SP Robert Hernandez

CL Chris Huseby - I would love to see him converted back to the rotation.

Long Reliever and Spot Starters - Alberto Cabrera & Jeff Beliveau

Has Huseby regained enough velocity that we can consider moving him into the rotation? Last I heard he was working high 80s out of the pen.

I've heard varying reports, anywhere from 87-95. Primarily, I've heard him working in the low 90s, though.

If I had to guess -

C Michael Brenly

1B Rebel Ridling

2B DJ LeMahieu

3B Josh Vitters

RF Kyler Burke

CF Brett Jackson

LF Nelson Perez

DH Jovan Rosa

SP Chris Archer

SP Justin Bristow

SP Aaron Shafer

SP Chris Rusin

SP Robert Hernandez

CL Chris Huseby - I would love to see him converted back to the rotation.

Long Reliever and Spot Starters - Alberto Cabrera & Jeff Beliveau

I do wonder if they might decide to get aggressive with Jeffry Antigua. I also wonder if James Leverton might end up repeating as a Daytona rotation arm.

I also think that they might put Robert Hernandez in Peoria. Just not sure what to think on what the Cubs think about Robert.

Yeah, I have that as a likelihood as well, though IMO, there would be nothing wrong with starting Flaherty at Daytona and promoting him when he shows he's ready. He did follow a similar pattern in his two pro seasons. Starts out hot the first short month. Then a pretty bad slump (this year that slump was two months long, last year it was one) and then he adjusts and kills it. I would like to see him prove himself at Daytona because of that pattern, but, obviously if he's hitting AA pitchers next Feb. and March, then he should go to Tennessee.

Also, it would have Daytona rock that much more if he started the season there... :)

Yeah, I have that as a likelihood as well, though IMO, there would be nothing wrong with starting Flaherty at Daytona and promoting him when he shows he's ready. He did follow a similar pattern in his two pro seasons. Starts out hot the first short month. Then a pretty bad slump (this year that slump was two months long, last year it was one) and then he adjusts and kills it. I would like to see him prove himself at Daytona because of that pattern, but, obviously if he's hitting AA pitchers next Feb. and March, then he should go to Tennessee.

Also, it would have Daytona rock that much more if he started the season there... :)

Ryan Flaherty's slump in Boise coincided with a time when he had a wrist injury that hampered his play.

Ryan Flaherty's slump in Boise coincided with a time when he had a wrist injury that hampered his play.

Good to know, thanks. Maybe there isn't a pattern there after all.