North Side Baseball

Rate My Team...Relatively New at Fantasy

ZMovieman

I had the tenth pick in a ten team Yahoo! league. The commissioner's new so the league is pretty basic. Hitters have R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG. Pitchers have W, SV, K, ERA, and WHIP. Feedback would be appreciated, since I do have the first spot on the waiver wire to make upgrades. Thanks!

C - Matt Wieters

1B - Mark Teixeira

2B - Ian Kinsler

3B - Garrett Atkins

SS - Rafael Furcal

OF - Curtis Granderson

OF - Alex Rios

OF - Ryan Ludwick

Util - Joey Votto

BN - Robinson Cano

BN - Mike Napoli

BN - Andre Ethier

BN - Rick Ankiel

BN - Orlando Cabrera

SP - Brandon Webb

SP - Josh Beckett

RP - Bobby Jenks

RP - Brian Fuentes

P - Zack Greinke

P - Matt Garza

P - Chien-Ming Wang

On a side note, the two times I was slow in picking during the live draft, it auto-drafted Cardinal OFs. ](*,)

Napoli as your only catcher that's actually in the major leagues, not so good.

The top C's available for my bench are Dioner Navarro, Pablo Sandoval, Kelly Shoppach,Yadier Molina, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia. I'd prefer to keep Wieters, even if on the bench. Suggestion?

Napoli as your only catcher that's actually in the major leagues, not so good.

The top C's available for my bench are Dioner Navarro, Pablo Sandoval, Kelly Shoppach,Yadier Molina, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia. I'd prefer to keep Wieters, even if on the bench. Suggestion?

I'd pick up Sandoval, then Navarro or Shoppach and drop Napoli. Keep Wieters on the bench.

I agree with Shoppach. I've read that he'll get a fair amount of playing time, with V-Mart spending some time at 1B or DH. Sandoval is behind Molina for SF.

I thought Sandoval was playing 3B every day in SF? 3B production and C eligibility? Me likey.

Community Moderator
I agree with Shoppach. I've read that he'll get a fair amount of playing time, with V-Mart spending some time at 1B or DH. Sandoval is behind Molina for SF.

I thought Sandoval was playing 3B every day in SF? 3B production and C eligibility? Me likey.

Looks like you're right; I just looked at the Giants' depth chart on ESPN and it shows him #1 at 3B and #3 at C. That's definitely a good fantasy combination to have.

If Sandoval is good enough to earn his Y! rankings (top 20 at 1B and 3B), he'd give you the most production of any of the other Cs you listed. I like Shoppach, but Sandoval should be significantly better.

Besides, in a 10-team league, there should be enough Cs available to pick one up if your guy sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm looking for advice again on how to upgrade my team:

Traded Cano for Josh Johnson

Dropped Wang, Cabrera, Ankiel, and Napoli

Picked up Price, Carpenter, Volstad, and Galarraga on waivers

Edit: I know Price and Weiters are not in the majors right now and Carpenter is on the DL, so I might get a spot opened as soon as the Carpenter pick up is finalized.

C - Brandon Inge

1B - Mark Teixeira

2B - Ian Kinsler

3B - Garrett Atkins

SS - Rafael Furcal

OF - Curtis Granderson

OF - Andre Ethier

OF - Ryan Ludwick

Util - Joey Votto

BN - Matt Wieters

BN - Alex Rios

SP - Josh Beckett

SP - Zack Greinke

RP - Bobby Jenks

RP - Brian Fuentes

P - Chris Volstad

P - Armando Galarraga

P - Josh Johnson

P - Matt Garza

P - David Price

P - Chris Carpenter

DL - Brandon Webb

Is this roto or head to head? Do you have an IP limit? Thats just an absurd amount of pitchers and very little in the way of offensive bench players.

I'd still perfer Napoli to Inge (especially with Vlad out indefinitely). Inge will cool down, and hes not a top 10 catcher, so don't be afraid to cut him loose.

You definitely need saves too, 2 closers isn't going to cut it in a 10 team league. I know a lot of closer situations are in flux, but use that to your advantage. Work the waiver wire for closer in waiting candidates instead of young pitchers who *might* be rosterable in a 10 team league.

Is this roto or head to head? Do you have an IP limit? Thats just an absurd amount of pitchers and very little in the way of offensive bench players.

I'd still perfer Napoli to Inge (especially with Vlad out indefinitely). Inge will cool down, and hes not a top 10 catcher, so don't be afraid to cut him loose.

You definitely need saves too, 2 closers isn't going to cut it in a 10 team league. I know a lot of closer situations are in flux, but use that to your advantage. Work the waiver wire for closer in waiting candidates instead of young pitchers who *might* be rosterable in a 10 team league.

It's head to head. Napoli got picked up a while ago. I was an idiot to let him go in hindsight, but Inge has helped me more than the average C on the wire (plus he's 1B and 3B eligible).

As for relievers, the best available are Scherzer, Hanrahan, Lindstrom, Putz, Downs, and Franklin. Franklin right now would get me the saves, so he seems at this point to be my best bet. Am I right?

As for the number of pitchers vs. position players, I've always been the type of guy who feels the bench guys on offense wouldn't provide me the same impact as pitchers, who I can put in when they pitch on any given day.

Sandoval shouldn't be available. He's considered a future 35-45 HR hitter with a good average.

by who, and how drunk were they when they said that?

yeah, no kidding. Sandoval is almost certainly going to hit more than 45 homers during his career.

that's true, he didn't specify time frame.

Sandoval shouldn't be available. He's considered a future 35-45 HR hitter with a good average.

by who, and how drunk were they when they said that?

yeah, no kidding. Sandoval is almost certainly going to hit more than 45 homers during his career.

that's true, he didn't specify time frame.

When not specifically cited, always assume 3 year total. :D