Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CaliforniaRaisin

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    34,650
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CaliforniaRaisin

  1. I'm not sure I see the high reward part of it. The physical piece is there, but what I'm finding are statistics that leave a lot to be desired: 4+ ERA, 1.4 WHIP, etc. -- there's just nothing that jumps out at me and says it was anything but a bad, bad pick. He has been rated as first round talent. He's had better seasons in his previous years at ND and, as you said, the physical pieces are there. We'll see how his game is helped by facing wooden bats. To quote John Manuel from BA:
  2. I have no problem with this pick. The Cubs obviously talked to Jeff's coaches (and advisors?) and got a feel for the situation beforehand. I just dislike the overdraft in the first round - whether or not Colvin was moving up the draft boards, he was an overdraft. But in addition to the overdraft to allow for this pick, they're taking a guy who will start his baseball career as a college senior or graduate and hasn't produced consistently at the college level. Factor in the injury risks of playing football and the odds that he may very well change his mind from what he told the Cubs this week and you get a lot of risks for that much money and the equivalent of a first round pick. Well, that's exactly why it's a high-risk, high-reward pick. I don't think there was anyone available in the 5th with a higher reward, and this was obviously the Cubs strategy to make up for losing out on 3 picks.
  3. Daytona sent SS Issmael Salas to the DL and called up RHP Mike Billek from Peoria.
  4. Is Huber still a better prospect than Buck, or is he going to move out from behind the plate. I am pretty sure he already has. Sounds like he may not have the defense to stick anywhere from what I have gathered. Think 1b/dh Yeah, that's what I've gathered too.
  5. Probable Starters: West Tenn: LHP JR Mathes (5-4, 3.59 ERA, 62.2 IP, 45/15, 1.26 WHIP) vs. RHP Ray Liotta (1-6, 3.53 ERA) Daytona: RHP Mike Billek (Daytona debut; Peoria: 4-5, 5.66 ERA, 35 IP, 25/11, 1.60 WHIP) Peoria: RHP Todd Blackford (4-2, 4.85 ERA, 59.1 IP, 25/28, 1.57 WHIP) @ RHP Chris Nicoll (3-3, 2.33 ERA)
  6. Yeah, but that was Outshined's point. Ginn might jump ahead of Samardzija. NFL scouts will fall in love with Johnson, Jarrett and Rice's athleticness, combine workouts, 40-times and stuff like that and Jeff won't be as impressive in some of those areas. He is a first round NFL pick, though. I was never speaking to Outshine's point. I was simply saying that it is highly unlikely that Jeff would ever be the first receiver taken. Ginn, as a receiver, is nowhere near where Jeff is, IMHO. Ginn is a whale of a return man, but unfortunately people seem to be equating those talents into his abilities as a receiver...which are good, but not great. But the scouts will fall in love with him in the combine and that should be enough to move his draft stock close to Samardzija's. I agree that his talent at WR is nowhere near as good as Jeff's.
  7. I have no problem with this pick. The Cubs obviously talked to Jeff's coaches (and advisors?) and got a feel for the situation beforehand. I just dislike the overdraft in the first round - whether or not Colvin was moving up the draft boards, he was an overdraft.
  8. Yeah, but that was Outshined's point. Ginn might jump ahead of Samardzija. NFL scouts will fall in love with Johnson, Jarrett and Rice's athleticness, combine workouts, 40-times and stuff like that and Jeff won't be as impressive in some of those areas. He is a first round NFL pick, though.
  9. His velocity has trailed a bit this season, hopefully it bounces back:
  10. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, none. Hill has not had near enough oppportunity to show what he can do. I said it before and I'll say it again, jerking a pitcher from starting in the minors to relieving in the majors, to starting in the minors, to spot starting in the majors, to relieving in the majors, to starting in the minors, to starting in the majors is not the way to develop a pitcher. Each time Hill has started in the majors his "life" was on the line. Not everyone is Wood or Prior. Hell, Baylor could decide if Z was a starter. yea ok....so should we just put him in the rotation and let him get beat up in the majors? Don't pull him out and let's see how he pans out. Is that your suggestion? He has 2 pitches. 1 mediocre fastball and 1 good curve. I think Marshall has a better curve. hill just doesn't have the mental makeup to play in Chicago, not everyone can deal with the fans. Maybe if he goes to a smaller market he will be successful. that should read average fastball (87-90) and excellent curve. he also throws a change & cutter from what i understand but doesnt use them much when he starts in the bigs. perhaps the pitch calling by the dugout might have something to do with this. It's partly because he's not comfortable throwing the change and cutter and needs to work on them to make them acceptable big league pitches. As an aside, Hill's curve is better than Marshall's.
  11. Link The 5 players representing Peoria are: 1B Ryan Norwood LHP Ed Campusano RHP Mitch Atkins RHP Matt Avery RHP Jeff Teasley It looks like the snubs for the Chiefs are LHP Donnie Veal and C Mark Reed. Three relievers from one team in the all-star game seems overkill, but I'm not going to complain since they're Chiefs. There is also a chance that Peoria's coaching staff will coach at the game, even if they don't win the first half title. The game will be on June 20th.
  12. Is that the strategy for Marmol, is it just coincidence, or does he project to be a reliever? Some folks in the system think Marmol could be a lights out closer, but he should be just fine as a starter. I think this was just coincidence with Williamson's injury.
  13. With Dayton Moore coming on board, there has been talk of Gordon, Butler and Huber all getting promoted to the big leagues within the next few months (apparently because Moore came from an organization that was aggressive with its promotions). Gordon is definitely the best of the three, imo.
  14. You'd have to read the game thread to understand. :wink: Funny thing is I posted this before he got out of the jam. Just because I knew he could do it! GO Marmol! well hope he does good! Does he really have only 2 pitches? a mid to upper 90's fastball and a 12-6 curve of some sort? i still think he need one more pitch to make a good starter?! well who am i? just another fan?!?! :D Actually most scouts in the minors dubbed that curve of his as more like a hard slider. I didn't see today's game and have never seen Carlos pitch, so I can't tell if it's a curve or not. He does have a changeup, which is a solid big league pitch, but it's not a plus pitch like his fastball and breaking pitch. well, if he really does have a change up then, i've really not seen it yet? all ive seen is a blazing fastball, and a sharp biting curve... thats been clocked around 81-84 ???? I just think he should be given a chance.... u never know he might turn out to be a surprise like Marshall did? I wouldn't be shocked that he hasn't used his change yet (if that's the case), since he's only been relieving thus far and he's not as comfortable with it as his other two pitches. If he gets extended or starts, he's going to have to bring it out. Right now, I think Marmol is one of the Cubs top 3 prospects throughout the system.
  15. You'd have to read the game thread to understand. :wink: Funny thing is I posted this before he got out of the jam. Just because I knew he could do it! GO Marmol! well hope he does good! Does he really have only 2 pitches? a mid to upper 90's fastball and a 12-6 curve of some sort? i still think he need one more pitch to make a good starter?! well who am i? just another fan?!?! :D Actually most scouts in the minors dubbed that curve of his as more like a hard slider. I didn't see today's game and have never seen Carlos pitch, so I can't tell if it's a curve or not. He does have a changeup, which is a solid big league pitch, but it's not a plus pitch like his fastball and breaking pitch.
  16. Randy is a converted catcher. Not exactly sure about the pitches he throws - not sure if this is right, but I think he throws a low 90s FB, a slider and a change. He's generally had pretty good control and doesn't give up too many HRs. Here are his career stats. He actually has his own journal here at NSBB: viewtopic.php?t=30283
  17. Peoria is up by 2 in the first half wild card race.
  18. Wow, there are a lot of pro-UCLA basketball, baseball and softball avatars and sigs in this thread. I declare myself the king of this thread and Cedric Bozeman, Hector Ambriz, Andrea Duran and Mike Huff are my loyal soldiers.
  19. Iowa wins it 3-0. Walrond goes 8 shutout, gives up 4 hits and gets 6 Ks. Lightenberg pitches a 1-2-3 9th for the save. Hoffpauir went 3 for 5, Deardorff went 2 for 4, Fontenot 2 for 3 with 2 RBI and Pie 2 for 5 with that solo HR. Peoria wins 6-4. Taylor went 6.1 and gave up 4 ER. Campusano gets the save.
  20. Jaxx win 1-0! Clay Rapada gets the 2-inning save (his 17th of the season) to cap off Randy Wells' masterpiece. After 7, Iowa is still up 2-0. Walrond now has a 3-hitter and has lowered his ERA to 2.22. Peoria up 6-3 now in the 7th. Peoria had knocked out Burlington's starter with 5 ER in 0.1 innings.
  21. Randy Wells' night should be over: 7 IP, 0 R, 5 H, 7/0, 106 pitches. Randy's ERA is down to 1.12, WHIP to 0.89 in 47.1 innings. And he has 43 Ks to 8 BBs. After 7, WT is still up 1-0. Clay Rapada now in for the Jaxx.
  22. Around the minors: Iowa is up 2-0 in the 6th inning. Walrond has a 1-hitter going thus far. Felix Pie with a solo HR and is 2/3 (single and CS, HR to RF, GO 4-3). WT is up 1-0 after 6 in Jackson, thanks to a Chris Walker solo HR. The Jaxx' only other hit is an EPatt IF single. Randy Wells has given up 4 hits through 6 shutout wtih 6 Ks. Daytona lost 2-1. Jake Fox went 3 for 4 (all singles) with an RBI. Holliman went 6.1 and gave up 2 ER (7/1). Peoria is up 6-1 in the 5th. Kyle Reynolds with a solo HR. Norwood is 2 for 3, Reynolds is 2 for 2. Scott Taylor has given up 1 ER on on 3 H through 4 innings.
  23. I had alberto as an infielder all year cause thats how is listed in the Cubs media guide. Carter will not catch here at all/ He is strictly an OF at this time. I could see him behind the plate, if and only if, Reed DH's and Muyco has to be taken out of the game... Have the Cubs scrapped the idea of Yusef catching? I saw him working with the low-A kids at catcher when I was in Mesa, so it can't be that out of the question so soon.
  24. As somebody said earlier, at this point, LaPorta is heading back to Florida. But I don't suppose it would be too much trouble to take a shot. But, it would take 1st rd money to get LaPorta to sign, after being potentially drafted this late. Not just that, but Boras is his advisor, and he already had elevated demands for where he was expected to be picked.
  25. Sixth UCLA Bruin selected today: The Gigantes take Paul Oseguera (16th round, 476th pick).
×
×
  • Create New...