Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CaliforniaRaisin

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    34,650
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CaliforniaRaisin

  1. they also seem to be acting like they just heard of HGH today. The problem with HGH is that the body produces it naturally and at different levels in different people and at different levels at different times of day. Testing for it is pretty complicated. artificially produced HGH (i.e. the HGH that is prescribed) can be detected independently from natural HGH due to different modifications added to the amino acids during the production process. Sounds made up. Sounds like I'm actually a scientist. An eye scientist.
  2. Yes. How about the Cubs stick with one pitcher and let him have more than a few token starts before calling up the next one?
  3. What's the link to the site you're getting those splits from? Is it only Cubs minor leaguers? Thanks for those stats...
  4. And you had that overdraft idea connected to drafting Samardzija at the time? No, I just was worried about a pre-draft deal in the first round if the Cubs were going after a player no other team was interested in taking in the first round. I like the Samardzija pick, don't like the Colvin pick.
  5. There is no chance Pierre would accept arbitration. There is still a team stupid enough to give him a multiyear deal out there. Not with the numbers he's putting up this season. At least it would be far too big a gamble. But I would love to get a couple of draft picks for Nolasco and Pinto.
  6. Reed and Valdez were snubbed. Veal wasn't snubbed as he was not put on the ballot by Jody. You could only nominate 4 pitchers and were are the only MWL team to have 4 pitchers on the ballot. Johnston was also on the ballot and didnt make it. Ahh, I see why Veal isn't there. He definitely deserves to be there, though. And it's always odd to see 3 relievers in the all-star game from one team.
  7. I know that's what the staff at Baseball America suspects, but that might not be the case. Samardzija wasn't guaranteed to be there in the 5th round. It's possible they're just very high on Colvin. But everybody was predicting that's what they'd do. I think it's pretty hard to come up with a different storyline than what Jon is laying out. Many predicted them taking a flyer on Samardzija in the 5th. No one had them "overdrafting" in the first to save money to sign him until they drafted Colvin. I'm not convinced the picks are related. Actually, the thought of overdrafting came to my mind when Stephen King popped up on BA's early-Tuesday morning mock draft. It didn't necessarily start when Colvin was drafted.
  8. I'm back so I'll take over, not sure how long I can stay though. Just ask Jon to sub in when you need to go. He has no life.
  9. 1109 (37th round): RHP Ross Francis, St. Joseph SS On that note, I have to get back to work. Hopefully someone can take over for me.
  10. 1079 (36th round): RHP Greibal Cuevas-Novas, LA Pierce CC
  11. 1019 (34th round): SS Nathan Samson, Ocala Forest Not a RHP! :shock:
  12. 989 (33rd round): RHP Ronald Clipp, Point Loma Nazarene U
  13. So was he a potential 3rd rounder that fell due to the committment? My guess would be he was considerer less than a 3rd rounder, and fell even further because of college. If 3rd round money is able to get him to change his mind, he must not have been getting 3rd round interest before. Or the Cubs did their homework better than other teams and had a better read on the level of his commitment. It's one thing to say you're committed to college. It's another thing to turn down half a million when it is actually on the table.
  14. 959 (32nd round): SS Cesar Valentin, Catalina Morales de Flore
  15. Looks like they finally got started. 929 (31st round): RHP Bryan Collins, Alvin CC 4 JCs in a row, 15 pitchers for the draft.
  16. Scobee went in the 14th round to Toronto.
  17. I think they're hoping for some early success in the minors combined with a lower NFL draft status than he had hoped for might convince him to stick to baseball only after his time at Notre Dame.
  18. And 3 consecutive JCs. 899 (30th round) - RHP Donald Walters, Richland College
  19. Some other stuff from the article: And BA had him ranked as the 20th best prospect in the draft.
  20. 779 (26th round): RHP Michael Cooper, UC Berkeley - was drafted by Toronto in the 17th round in 04 809 (27th round): RHP Cedric Redmond, Joliet Township HS - 6'3", 190 lbs, throws 90-94 mph FB 839 (28th round): RHP Brett Summers, South Suburban JC - 6'6", 185 lbs, used to throw 90-93 mph in HS but velo has since fallen 869 (29th round): RHP Jordan Latham, Southern Idaho
  21. 14th round pick Drew Rundle, who fell due to his college committment to Arizona:
  22. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=25307272
  23. Most of the comments on Colvin are based on what BA and others have said of him - so there is evidence. Even with what John Manuel said yesterday about Colvin moving up, BA still made it sound like a reach. I do have faith in Wilken and his track record, so I hope this pans out...but from my vantage point, this pick seemed like an overdraft to allow for more financial leeway to sign the Cubs 5th round selection. I'm not sure how this can be considered ridiculous criticism.
  24. The point being, it's compounded with the Cubs' draft since they only have 2 picks in the first 5 rounds.
×
×
  • Create New...