Jump to content
North Side Baseball

Tryptamine

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    16,118
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by Tryptamine

  1. I'm not willing to bet that much on Stroman's arm holding up.
  2. Seriously, that's beyond underwhelming. Yes Gohara has a nice arm, but he's nothing special and still far away. I'd sooner let Soler rot on the bench then give him away.
  3. Looks like Cashner may end up in Texas. I was kind of hoping he'd be a pen option for the Cubs.
  4. This contract has to mean Dexter's price just rose substantially,right? After seeing Reddick get his deal I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 5/75 for Dex.
  5. You think they're giving up on AJ Reed already?
  6. Color me confused unless another trade is coming. The Astros now have Gurriell at 3B, which means the OF now consists of Bregman,Springer and Reddick. Who is playing CF in this scenario?
  7. To go along with what has been mentioned above, the Red Sox already have an absolutely loaded OF with Betts,JBJ and Benintendi. They're also covered at DH where it's either going to be Panda or Hanley. The Braves look ripe for the picking. Send Soler and Candy for Vizcaino,Soroka and Allard.
  8. I think Seattle make a lot of sense. Their team is filled with older players who are a year or two from decline in Felix,Cano,Cruz,Iwakuma etc. They push the chips all in on a run this year by acquiring Jake. A Felix,Arrieta,Walker,Iwakuma,Karns rotation is real solid. I wonder if SEA wouldn't consider Arrieta+Zagunis for James Paxton and Edwin Diaz. Paxton has a lot untapped potential and Diaz is the dominant closer this team badly needs. Sign Dex, Cecil and Trade Soler and whoever for the best SP possible and you're looking at SP:Lester,Hendricks,Lackey,Paxton,Trade RP:Edwin Diaz,Rondon,Strop,Cecil,Montgomery,Grimm,Edwards
  9. except his arm is going to fall off That and his asking price is supposedly even higher than Sale's.
  10. 3 years at 14 per? Sign me up. Not that that will do it, realistically. If he can be had for 3/42 and we don't do it then I'm going to be a bit disappointed.
  11. This is exactly why a deal hasn't been done. Asking for Baez and two more top prospects for Odorizzi was absurd. However, now with such a traffic jam of talent they're going to have to get more realistic if they want to keep from wasting their value.
  12. We have limited assets as is, the ones we have need to be used for strong rotational pieces so that we can fill the gaps we're faced with in 2018. Obviously Candelario isn't headlining anything but I don't see why can can't be a secondary piece for an Odorizzi, Robbie Ray, etc. Honestly don't see a huge gap between those two names and what Wisler can offer those future rotations. I like Ray too, but all strike me as ceiling ~4 starters in a first division rotation. The ability to option him in 2017 is a huge plus in Wisler's favor or some other similar young arm. Why is it a bonus? I'd prefer push Montgomery to the pen so only one lefty spot needs to be filled, Brett Cecil I'm talking about you.
  13. I suggested Soler/Candelario/Clifton for Odorizzi and Colome a while ago. I think that's quite fair. Ken Giles alone netted Velasquez, Oberholtzer, Eshelman, Mark Appel, and Harold Arauz I think people are vastly underestimating the market for Colome. It was immediately seen as a terrible deal. Just because someone gets raked over the coals doesn't make that the new market going rate. VV by himself would net more than Giles now.
  14. Hand to the fire I probably accept it, but it's a max offer for me and I acknowledge that I overpaid a little to really strengthen the chance to win in 2017-2018.
  15. I honestly keep wondering if we're destined to deal with the Rays. Something has to give on their glut of starters. Would something like Soler, Jeimer and one of Sands/Stinnett/Kellogg be not enough for Colome and one of Odorizzi/Smyly/Andriese? I suggested Soler/Candelario/Clifton for Odorizzi and Colome a while ago. I think that's quite fair.
  16. I just don't see it with Wisler. Never been a high K rate guy, sub 6 in the MLB,control in the minors was good but that hasn't carried over to the majors. Velocity is down .5mph from 2015 to 2016 where it sits at 92.5. He gave up 36.7% hard hit balls while his swinging strike rate was 9% and his contact rate in the zone was 90.8%. That all sounds to me like a guy who has to nibble because his stuff isn't good enough to beat major league hitters in the zone. To be clear, the idea here is that Wisler is treated as the 6th starter at best, which really you can't hope to do more than if you're only giving up Candelario, a Top 100ish prospect that's hard-blocked at the MLB level anyway. But Wisler is a strike thrower with pedigree, can be optioned, and wouldn't cost significant assets, which makes him appealing enough as an effort to add rotation depth. We have limited assets as is, the ones we have need to be used for strong rotational pieces so that we can fill the gaps we're faced with in 2018. Obviously Candelario isn't headlining anything but I don't see why can can't be a secondary piece for an Odorizzi, Robbie Ray, etc.
  17. I just don't see it with Wisler. Never been a high K rate guy, sub 6 in the MLB,control in the minors was good but that hasn't carried over to the majors. Velocity is down .5mph from 2015 to 2016 where it sits at 92.5. He gave up 36.7% hard hit balls while his swinging strike rate was 9% and his contact rate in the zone was 90.8%. That all sounds to me like a guy who has to nibble because his stuff isn't good enough to beat major league hitters in the zone.
  18. So we now have Dickey,Colon,Teheran,Blair,Foltynewicz,Wisler,Gant and Perez all fighting it out for 5 spots. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Teheran is on the move.
  19. Doesn't sound like they're going to be doing any kind of FA spending this season as they spent all their money last offseason knowing this offseason would be weak. http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/why-cubs-arent-planning-another-free-agent-extravaganza-winter
  20. Seriously. No takebacks. so 17M and the loss of a first round pick for a guy who is going to throw 65 innings. Yeah, not even remotely interested. I'd much rather the farm be used, outside of Eloy, to grab a young closer. Save the excessive spending for Otani or whoever else they need to fill the rotation in 2018.
  21. Very slick under the radar move. It will ease the blow a bit when Gleyber becomes a star. he won't Gleyber never struck me as a guy who would become a super star. I viewed him more as a solid fairly safe bet to be a guy who annually gives you 2.5-3fWAR and in his prime maybe touches 4. He really doesn't have any stand out tools. I don't think his ceiling sniffs Russell or Baez at all.
  22. My guess is the Cubs would take him back at 2 or maybe even 3 years. I think it's the 4th year and beyond that they'd have no interest in.
  23. I hope Dex had a good enough season that he doesn't get screwed by the QO process again if the Cubs choose not to re-sign him. If he can't get paid after a 4.7fWAR season in only 120ish games then something is very very broken in the system both rules wise and talent evaluation wise.
  24. Different levels of compensation picks went away in the last CBA. If you give someone a qualifying offer(this year it's 1/17) and they sign elsewhere, you get a pick after the first round. Chapman isn't eligible to receive a qualifying offer because he was traded midseason, and Hammel won't be given a qualifying offer because he'd accept, so the Cubs will get one pick for Fowler signing elsewhere. thanks TT appreciate the clarification. (and Raisin) Haven't followed the minors at all this year with a family member in the hospital. Does this pretty much spell the end of Pierce Johnson, Duane Underwood and Ryan Williams as possible #5 next year? Were they really that bad? Pierce is pretty much a reliever now, Underwood continues to vastly underpeform his stuff and Williams was hurt all year. Regardless, these aren't the type of arms you experiment with on a World Series contending squad.
  25. Color me very surprised. The farm could use a nice influx of talent. I'd much rather keep Dex than add a 1st round supplemental pick. As would I, but some team is going to throw something like 4/70 or 5/80 at him and I'm no longer interested at those prices. Not when 40% of the 2018 rotation needs to be addressed along with numerous 2017 bullpen holes.
×
×
  • Create New...